U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM

2,160 posts, read 3,760,961 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to change insurance companies. Can anyone suggest a decent company for home and auto with a good local agent? (I live in North Fulton but will soon be moving to Woodstock). Cheap isn't as important to me as good customer service, good coverage, and responsiveness to claims. Please don't recommend State Farm or Allstate.

Thanks!

Bill
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM

2,685 posts, read 5,426,695 times
Amica is always rated high by consumer reports and the like.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Unhappy That was weird

After some Internet research I discovered that Amica (as noah suggested) has one of the best customer satisfaction ratings in the industry. So I just got off the phone with them. We went through all the auto information and she gave me a quote that was substantially higher than what I am currently paying State Farm for identical coverage. When I told her what my State Farm rate was, her response was that Amica would be coming out with new policies and programs this year and that I should try again in a year.

No attempt to get a reduced rate from her supervisor. No explanation or justification for the higher rate (other than a mention of my long-term customer discount I currently have, which isn't nearly enough to make up the difference). No discussion of why my rate is high or what I could do to reduce the rate (i.e.: changing deductibles or coverage limits). We didn't even discuss a potential homeowners policy (although the quote did include a discount for carrying both policies). Just "we will put you on a list and call you next year".

I was quite surprised that she did nothing to try to make me a customer, and in fact seemed to be in a bit of a hurry to get rid of me. Weird. And disappointing.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 5,426,695 times
Having worked in the insurance field at one time I can tell you that insurance companies don't always have the same flexibility as say a cable company does to win over a customer. They do have to follow by the pricing guidelines they file with the state insurance commissioner (Thats what she means by new policies and programs as they may be coming out with a new product that either uses different variables or weighs them differently in pricing a policy). Also, the company who is the cheapest in one area of the country may not be in another area and over time the cheapest company may flip flop as well. If price is most important its a good idea to shop every few years.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,018,814 times
I have Auto Owners for car and house and so far so good. I use the Brasch agency.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM

70 posts, read 275,539 times
I was insured w/ Georgia Farm Bureau when I first moved to Georgia, had home owners and auto for both our cars. Just changed over to Allstate and saved hundreds just on auto alone.I always wanted to have a local agent because companies like Geico and a few others are just someone else on the other end of the phone. My Allstate agent came to the house and I was very impressed. Allstate agents are always nearby.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Having worked in the insurance field at one time I can tell you that insurance companies don't always have the same flexibility as say a cable company does to win over a customer.... Also, the company who is the cheapest in one area of the country may not be in another area and over time the cheapest company may flip flop as well. If price is most important its a good idea to shop every few years.
I understand they don't have much flexibility. What I didn't understand was that as soon as she heard what I was currently paying she basically gave up on me. She didn't even ask if I was willing to consider the higher rate. I at least would have expected a discussion of the price breakdown and/or how changing my coverage here or there could reduce the rate. I'm not necessarily looking for cheapest: I'm willing to pay higher for better customer service. But that wasn't even a discussion point.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,914,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I understand they don't have much flexibility. What I didn't understand was that as soon as she heard what I was currently paying she basically gave up on me. She didn't even ask if I was willing to consider the higher rate. I at least would have expected a discussion of the price breakdown and/or how changing my coverage here or there could reduce the rate. I'm not necessarily looking for cheapest: I'm willing to pay higher for better customer service. But that wasn't even a discussion point.
But 99% of the rest of the folks she talks to daily are looking for the cheapest, and she's probably got a backed up queue of calls waiting for her to pick up, so she's not likely to spend a whole lot of time trying to sell you on something that costs more than your current carrier. Of course you could lower your costs by reducing coverages, raising deductables, etc.- but you could do that with your current carrier and start from a lower starting point, too.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM

247 posts, read 1,207,286 times
We've had Liberty Mutual for home and auto for years. First in Florida, now in Georgia. My agent is in Woodstock. I always get a human on the phone (which is unusual for insurance companies) I've put in claims for both home and auto and always had everything settled very quickly with no problems. PM me if you want his name and number.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,505,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I'm looking to change insurance companies. Can anyone suggest a decent company for home and auto with a good local agent? (I live in North Fulton but will soon be moving to Woodstock). Cheap isn't as important to me as good customer service, good coverage, and responsiveness to claims. Please don't recommend State Farm or Allstate.
I use Liberty Mutual (for many years in MN and for over four years here in GA), and they've always been good for automobile claims.

I've never had to use them for claims against a renters or homeowner's policy, though, so I don't know how good they would be to work with in that context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta