Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

When Parents Blame the School:

Connect with Kids : Weekly News Stories : "When Parents Blame the School"

Great advice and strategies for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,228 times
In my personal opinion, parents are the ultimate teachers from day one. If they do not recognize this, then they should not be having any children. That's problem with people in this country. They see having a baby as no different than buying a new coat. Parents should be held just as accountable as the schools are for the education of the children.

The next time child fails at his/her test and the parent marches up to the school to demand why the school had fail the child, then the teacher should ask the parent to do that test as well. If the parent can't then it is a sure sign that the parent failed at raising the child, NOT the school. I dare anyone to tell me different...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
In my personal opinion, parents are the ultimate teachers from day one. If they do not recognize this, then they should not be having any children. That's problem with people in this country. They see having a baby as no different than buying a new coat. Parents should be held just as accountable as the schools are for the education of the children.

The next time child fails at his/her test and the parent marches up to the school to demand why the school had fail the child, then the teacher should ask the parent to do that test as well. If the parent can't then it is a sure sign that the parent failed at raising the child, NOT the school. I dare anyone to tell me different...
'Once Upon A Time'---

There was a more collaborative philosophy about education/parenting.

Blaming is counterproductive, jmo.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
'Once Upon A Time'---

There was a more collaborative philosophy about education/parenting.

Blaming is counterproductive, jmo.
Blaming is a major part of U.S. culture. And what's "jmo"?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM

239 posts, read 922,786 times
Quote:
I agree with your conclusion - that parents are the ultimate teachers from day one.

However, the idea that a parent should be able to "do" (which I'm assuming to mean pass/master) the test is a bit much... especially if you have children that are taking advanced level subject matter which may or may not have even been taught when the parent(s) was/were in school. In high school I took several advance/college level courses that I'm sure my parents could not pass... but they did provide me with all of the resources and support I needed to be a success - and this was most important.

On a side note, the thought of my parents attempting to find the 2nd derivative of a rational function made me lol, literally.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
jmo = just my opinion

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
I agree with your conclusion - that parents are the ultimate teachers from day one.

However, the idea that a parent should be able to "do" (which I'm assuming to mean pass/master) the test is a bit much... especially if you have children that are taking advanced level subject matter which may or may not have even been taught when the parent(s) was/were in school. In high school I took several advance/college level courses that I'm sure my parents could not pass... but they did provide me with all of the resources and support I needed to be a success - and this was most important.

On a side note, the thought of my parents attempting to find the 2nd derivative of a rational function made me lol, literally.
I was looking at things from the elementary school level. From the cradle to the 5th grade my mom read to/with me and would often challenge me with math problems just as much as my teacher would. My mom's philosophy was that it would be hypocritical to expect a teacher to manage a classroom of 30-50 plus students and she(my mom) can't even handle her one child. My mom learned along with me and it had a great effect on my school ethic for the rest of my life.

I am sick & tired of parents who just have kids and expect school to be a daycare. Children are an investment: They have to be nurtued in the home from day one because the lord only knows what could happen if you leave their learning in the hands of strangers. Any person that cannot understand that simple concept is not fit for breeding.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:

Yes, 'WE' are a litigious society and 'Blaming'/Accountability is the 'American Way', apparently.

To me this is a vicious circle and does not really 'solve' problems.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I was looking at things from the elementary school level. From the cradle to the 5th grade my mom read to/with me and would often challenge me with math problems just as much as my teacher would. My mom's philosophy was that it would be hypocritical to expect a teacher to manage a classroom of 30-50 plus students and she(my mom) can't even handle her one child. My mom learned along with me and it had a great effect on my school ethic for the rest of my life.

I am sick & tired of parents who just have kids and expect school to be a daycare. Children are an investment: They have to be nurtued in the home from day one because the lord only knows what could happen if you leave their learning in the hands of strangers. Any person that cannot understand that simple concept is not fit for breeding.
I understand what you are saying... and agree.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,623 times
Coming from a dedicated educator, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Teachers work HARD. No, we don't expect for the parents to be able to complete a test or even know how to do the work honestly. All we are saying is BE THERE. When we call and leave a message, call us back. If there's a conference, show up. Heck, spend a little time in the classroom to find out what's going on. Be in the know. Please, please, please, chunk the words, "I know my child would never do anything like that." LOL!! My most successful students have been those whose parents did those things or most of those things. Most importantly, PLEASE do not contact us towards the END of the school year expressing your concerns. Okay, I will jump off my soap box now.

Now, there are some crappy teachers, but, if you are involved and show your face, those crappy teachers will even shape up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta