Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
there is no catch paulding and douglas counties have been basically very rural areas until about 5 yrs ago so now ALL THE BUILDERS IN THE WORLD have decided they need to build a subdivision here too many homes they have to drop the prices and give more perks for people to pick theirs also look for builder closeouts in Paulding county there is so much growth that in 6 yrs we have built 2 new high schools a middle school and a couple of elem that I know of (there may be more) PM me for more info
I disagree. Douglas County has been suburban, at least the area surrounding I-20 and in the vicinity of Lithia Springs, with a break in development until you get to Douglasville, for at least fifteen to twenty years. Sure, it wasn't a congested suburban, but it has been a "commuter exurban" suburban for quite a while. Today, those areas are more suburban-suburban, and much of the rest of the county is the exurban-suburban nature, with the far south and far western areas retaining a somewhat rural nature.

Paulding County started booming in the mid 90s, and at least a small portion of it, namely a few bits of South Paulding, as well as a few areas around Hiram, have been suburban in nature for at least that long. Today, most of the area surrounding Dallas Highway, 278, the eastern parts of the county, as well as the New Georgia areas are at minimal an exurban form of suburban. Hiram and Dallas Highway are quite congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:41 PM

12 posts, read 35,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible-relo-mama View Post
We are considering a move from Orlando to the Douglasville area (I know, I know another FLA family moving to GA ). I've been doing some research and noticed there are LOTS of new homes and rentals available in this neighborhood - Anneewakee Trails (5 BD, 3000 SqFt, for $275K - WOW! and rentals for $1500). It looks like a great community, walking trails, lazy river, playground, Chapel Hill schools. But what's the catch? Anyone know about the construction quality of these homes? Is that why it's so reasonable/available? We're driving up to take a look at the area but wanted some input. My husband will be traveling a bit for work so we wanted to be close to the airport plus he will be driving to Birmingham frequently.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
The construction quality is poor for most of those homes. That's exactly why they're so less expensive. Also the sd is practically out in the country.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,656 times
Douglasville is a decent place to live although since the mall has come in I have noticed a decline in the level of "element" that has moved in. However, Anneewakee Trails is a terrible place to live. Crime level is much higher than any other subdivision in Douglasville. Also, they are advertising Section 8 housing for that neighborhood all the way across the country. I have several friends who are real estate agents and they tell me that they will not even show a home in that neighborhood. At one point, the police were following the school bus to the school due to problems on the school bus and the police set up a "mini" precinct in the subdivision. Such a shame, the subdivision at first glance appears to be very nice, but once you delve into it a little deeper you will see that it is not...

Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 AM

13 posts, read 119,639 times
Husband and I are trying to compromise on what area we want to buy a house (recently married). We are considering Douglasville because I work downtown and hubby works close to the airport. Coworkers of mine said to stay away from douglasville. However, the size of homes compared to Marietta and easier commute time for hubby keeps making us look back at Douglasville. Is the whole area by Anneewakee Trails bad or just that S/D certain parts???? What is the deal with Chapel Hills principal I saw the comment do they have some race issues over there???

Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,656 times
We just recently moved from Douglasville just due to my son going into high school, and I did not want him to go into high school in that area, but all in all Douglasville is not a horrible place. Since the mall has come in it has gone downhill and I have noticed it getting worse over the last few years. If you have children the schools are somewhat lacking. Elementary schools are decent, however, high schools are not. Much more gang related activity in the area over the last few years. Chapel Hill High School is the school in the county with the most gang related activity, Douglas County HS follows second and then Alexander is right now the best school district to be in. Having grown up in the Douglasville area, I am really sad to see the changes that have taken place. Depends on what you are looking for, I guess. If you are not going to have to deal with the schools, it is not bad. Great commute to the airport. You can just hop on Camp Creek Parkway and get there. Great commute to downtown as well. Comparitively you can get a lot of "bang" for your buck on the home size and price compared to other areas.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyk View Post
We just recently moved from Douglasville just due to my son going into high school, and I did not want him to go into high school in that area, but all in all Douglasville is not a horrible place. Since the mall has come in it has gone downhill and I have noticed it getting worse over the last few years. If you have children the schools are somewhat lacking. Elementary schools are decent, however, high schools are not. Much more gang related activity in the area over the last few years. Chapel Hill High School is the school in the county with the most gang related activity, Douglas County HS follows second and then Alexander is right now the best school district to be in. Having grown up in the Douglasville area, I am really sad to see the changes that have taken place. Depends on what you are looking for, I guess. If you are not going to have to deal with the schools, it is not bad. Great commute to the airport. You can just hop on Camp Creek Parkway and get there. Great commute to downtown as well. Comparitively you can get a lot of "bang" for your buck on the home size and price compared to other areas.
That's sad to hear, considering that when Chapel Hill High School opened in 2000, it was the best high school in the county. Obviously, some of the developments along Anawakee Road have had a negative impact on the district and school.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 AM

13 posts, read 119,639 times
Since we have children I think we are going to put Douglasville as our last choice. Gang activity is definatly something I want to stay away from. People do crazy stuff to innocent people trying to get in a gang. We mentioned it to our realtor and his face confirmed the comments he said Anneewakee Trails would definatly be a bad investment and with the market we proably couldn't get rid of the house if we were ready to go.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM

17 posts, read 56,602 times
Where in douglasville would be a decent place to find a home then? I'm hearing too many bad things.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
When we came down in the summer of 05 to look around we absolutely fell in love with Annawakee. But we weren't ready to buy at the time. In fact we just moved from Jersey last month. We were of course blown away by the size of the homes for the cost as well as the amenities of the property. Now it seems from a lot that I've heard that HomeLife Communities which is one of the main builders at Annawakee is not very highly regarded. I imagine the traffic through there is heavy because I'm sure those homes were selling like the proverbial hotcakes.

A friend of my wife has been really pushing for us to check out a s/d names River Breeze which she says is close by so I'm gonna try to do that soon. Wish they had the same amenities of Annawakee with a more reputable builder though. With a young child the layout of that place with the huge pool, play area, lazy river, large clubhouse etc would have been ideal.
River Breeze (http://www.scenichomes.com/community_details.php?comm_id=44 - broken link) is built by scenic homes. It is almost built out.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:11 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppie827 View Post
Husband and I are trying to compromise on what area we want to buy a house (recently married). We are considering Douglasville because I work downtown and hubby works close to the airport. Coworkers of mine said to stay away from douglasville. However, the size of homes compared to Marietta and easier commute time for hubby keeps making us look back at Douglasville. Is the whole area by Anneewakee Trails bad or just that S/D certain parts???? What is the deal with Chapel Hills principal I saw the comment do they have some race issues over there???
Here are the Douglasville, Georgia New Homes. Pay close attention to Brookmont by Ryland Homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta