Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM

8 posts, read 31,674 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Utah; I need a fresh start...please share any advice on what part of GA has best price houses for your money (to buy), great entertainment and a great place to make new friends. Also, I would need to find employment asap...I currently work for an International Marketing company as a Product Manager. I feel confident in my professional experience and would like to learn more about what opportunities are available in the area of Benefit Administration as well as Marketing as this is where I have majority of my work experience. I'm also a licensed Realtor and would love to become licensed in GA, it's great money and a great way to meet new people.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 AM

165 posts, read 484,139 times
What you ask is pretty broad still. I guess one way to narrow this down is if you want to live in an urban area, suburban, rural, coastal etc. For the most part, you should find a home somewhere GA for any price range.

My first guess (based on your occupation of working for a marketing company) would be somewhere close to Atlanta. I would also suggest, no matter where you move, to find a job FIRST.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 AM

293 posts, read 1,106,935 times
I agree! I don't know if the Real Estate market is picking up here. I know it's been pretty bad. Yes, please find a job, then inquire about areas you desire to live to close to your job.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2cents View Post
Also, I would need to find employment asap...
Aside from not having more info on your budget and other bits needed for ideas on a match, it's the above quote of most concern. Atlanta (you're in the Atlanta room, by the way) and the rest of Georgia have not weathered the bad economy much better than a lot of other places.

Experts advise against relocating to a new area right now unless you have a job already lined up (such as via a transfer), or have at least 6 months or longer of living expenses saved up you can tap into after the move until you find something (which given current trends, CAN take months).

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,783 times
I am looking to get into real estate after our family makes the move to ATL next year, and I've been in contact with a Broker who is willing to sponsor me, but she said I need to plan out three years to get my career to the point of being a viable income. Fortunately, I have the support of my husband and we are low-balling our own housing expenses, so I should be able to dedicate the time to build a career in Real Estate in ATL.

That being said, I think ATL is a good place for real estate, the population growth of the ATL metro area has been the 2nd fastest metro area in the nation, behind only Dallas-Fort Worth. I don't know how the numbers look now, with the current economy, but I think it's a safe bet to say Atlanta is going to continue to see major population growth into and through the next decade.

But as the last poster said, if you are planning on rollin' into town with no savings and in need of immediately landing a job - that's probably not a good gameplan at this point and time. My husband will be transferring to Atlanta with the same employer he has now.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-08-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 31,674 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, in answer to the questions asked:

Yes, I would have a sizeable savings...and a job cause that would be insane to move without resources esp. in this economy. I'm not planning on moving tomorrow but within the next 6 months.

I'm really interested in learning about the best places to live in GA as I've only been to Augusta & Atlanta. This would assist with my decision on where to research housing and employment opportunities.

I want to be somewhat close to the city to experience great entertainment, etc. But I want to live in a smaller community where things are alittle more laid back.

I appreciate all the insight, please continue to share cause its good information. I'm really excited to begin creating my plan of action once I narrow down the best options.

Last edited by Cats2cents; 05-08-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta