Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times

Advertisements

LOL! No, no....I am really starting to enjoy my son's company now that he's school-aged.

I'll admit that I'm not that much into babies. I like kids when they're able to have a decent conversation, which seems to be somewhere around 4 or 5.

I mean, when my son was a baby I was in awe of the whole thing but I can't say I LIKED the experience. It was stressful and exhausting. I was constantly fearful I'd mess up and he'd die or get maimed because of something I did - forget him in the car, lose hold of him over the side of a cliff, he'd get out of the house while we were sleeping and go on train tracks, all kinds of really bizarre scenarios that make me sound crazy to talk about them. And choking to death on something. Man, I couldn't WAIT until he got out of that phase of trying to eat everything he touched.

But now it's all cool and I like having him around. No farms. Unless it was ours. Then he'd have to work on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
lose hold of him over the side of a cliff,
I can honestly say I don't know any (other) mothers who are fearful that they'll lose hold of their child when they hold them over the side of cliffs. (??)

Well, if your kid develops odd psychological hangups regarding heights, we'll know where that came from, won't we?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can honestly say I don't know any (other) mothers who are fearful that they'll lose hold of their child when they hold them over the side of cliffs. (??)

Well, if your kid develops odd psychological hangups regarding heights, we'll know where that came from, won't we?
Yeah, I guess that came off that way....

I would have all these weird fears that something BAD would happen and it was always they most bizarre scenario that would never happen in real life.

Like, right, I would never go anywhere NEAR a cliff with an infant. But I would be somewhere with my son when he was a baby and see a cliff (or a skywalk, or a pedestrian bridge, or something) and suddenly just be afraid that I'd end up there and somehow drop him.

This is so not rational. I understand this. I told my mom I thought I was going crazy and she said, no, that when she first had my oldest brother she had this weird fear that she'd drop him down a flight of stairs.

I think it's something only first time moms go through. Not all of them. But many. I've met other women over the years who had their own little irrational fears like that.

Glad thats over.

And now I need to go to bed...I've got to get up at 5am and go for a 10 miler....

Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
Quote:
I'm a people watcher when I'm out in public. I read body language and just try to figure people out when I'm bored. I can't count how many times I've been out lately to see kids cough open-mouthed in a crowded public place, only to see "Mom" not say a single word to them about how they should cover their mouths. Honestly, I haven't seen ONE young Mother correct the kid to teach them basic public hygiene like this - not one. They don't even know how to teach their kids to cover their mouths, or how not to run ahead of them in a parking lot at the store... it's really crazy.
Of all the things in the world, you're worried that kids aren't covering their mouths when they cough? My God, I can hear civilization crumbling. Next thing you know, they'll forget the napkins in their laps, and all hell will break loose! I'm sorry, I just had to snicker at that. I think there are worse things in my generation than THAT.

For one, that God-awful public education system that we've been subjected to. Also, you don't have "parent moderation" like previous generations; we're either a latch-key kid or we have helicopter parents constantly inflating our egos. We haven't had to live through any "real" recessions such as the 70s or early 80s, so many of us think that it's the end of the world now (I know better... I'm part econ major).

Our pluses: we exude confidence, we're more adaptable to change (and there is a difference in this one from past generations), we're more willing to work (for money of course...) non-tradition schedules/roles, and in terms of education, we're smarter at our occupations (not more experienced, just "smarter" in the beginning).

But, as we grow up, we tend to grow out of our shells, in my experience. We end up being just like every other generation (boring, middle-aged, afraid of the next generation). It happened to the boomers, it happened to Gen X, and it will happen to us. I blame subliminal advertising.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Our pluses: we exude confidence, we're more adaptable to change (and there is a difference in this one from past generations), we're more willing to work (for money of course...) non-tradition schedules/roles, and in terms of education, we're smarter at our occupations (not more experienced, just "smarter" in the beginning).
What generation are you talking about currently? I assume you are not referring to "Gen-Y" or mid-20's? Because being only a few years out of that age range, I don't believe that at all. I'm not some crusty old retiree looking down at this age range.

A few years ago, I left the job I was working as a lead after I changed from a crew of mostly then-late-20s, to then-early-20s/late teens (now the group who is mid 20s). The difference in the crews was astounding. With the first, we would work hard to make sure everything on our show was in tip top shape, and do extra work to make things run smoother and easier. We'd come in on days off to fix things if enough stuff was broken. Then we'd all happily go have a beer after, because we were happy with our work.

When I got the group of younger kids, I could not , for the life of me, get them to work on anything. The show was falling apart, and they couldn't care less. I'd bring a broken fixture to one of them and ask them to do a quick fix, and he'd reply something like "whatever, it's not like anyone is going to notice one broken fixture." Any time I'd call a work call, they would complain so much that there was no point in even having the work call (and we're talking 4 hours in the middle of the day). Nothing would get done. They consistently tried to get me to cut things from the show so that their job would be easier, but never once tried to make the show better. The show fell further and further into disrepair until I just couldn't handle it any more. I could only do so much on my own. Management was no help because he was a pushover whose good friend was one of the complainers. I couldn't even fire the guy who showed up to work wasted out of his mind on numerous occasions. So I packed up my crap and left. I still know a lot of people who work there and it's still fascinating to hear what it's like now.

The younger group and the older group were being paid the same wages to do the exact same job in the same situations. But the younger group had no interest in doing a GOOD job, only getting paid. Yes, they had confidence flowing out the wazoo...but what did they do with it? Acted like confident children. Most of them knew little to nothing about their actual job, just enough to make it LOOK like they knew what they were doing.

Being smart enough to pull off looking good, without actually knowing what you are doing, does not mean you are better at your job. it just means you know how to manipulate appearances. It's like those people in school who were master BSers who could write a paper about anything in very little time. It's not because they were smart and knew anything about the subject, it's because they knew how to make up good crap.

Every generation has it's good and bad, but I don't think they're getting any smarter...only more confident and able to pull things over on people.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Of all the things in the world, you're worried that kids aren't covering their mouths when they cough? My God, I can hear civilization crumbling. Next thing you know, they'll forget the napkins in their laps, and all hell will break loose! I'm sorry, I just had to snicker at that. I think there are worse things in my generation than THAT.
I don't believe I said it was the "worst thing in the world".

However, in case you've not spoken to a Doctor - people (and last time I checked, kids were "people"), spread viruses to OTHER people when they cough open-mouthed in public, cough in their hands and then handle things like public door handles, grocery store buggies, etc. This is how the flu and other illnesses are easily passed on to to other people, and it's the reason the cold/flu seasons last as long as they do - people practicing poor public hygiene, and not teaching their children to do the same.

It's also common courtesy towards others, to teach your kids to cover their mouths when they could or sneeze in public. I believe a lack of parents teaching their kids common courtesy IS a big problem today, as a matter of fact.

But then, if you are not aware of what proper common courtesy and proper public hygiene is, then your children won't be aware of what it is, either.

Some suggested reading (for kids and apparently parents, too):

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/f...-you-say-achoo

5 Bad Habits That Cause Kids' Colds

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Cover Your Cough

Cover Your Cough Frequently Asked Questions - Minnesota Dept. of Health

A gift for the kids: Who Knew?(R) The Stop Germs & Illness Issue (http://store.channing-bete.com/onlinestore/storeitem.html?vid=20050104004&iid=174710&icode=94 977&item=Who+Knew%3F(R)+The+Stop+Germs+%26+Illness +Issue - broken link)

Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I don't believe I said it was the "worst thing in the world".

However, in case you've not spoken to a Doctor - people (and last time I checked, kids were "people"), spread viruses to OTHER people when they cough open-mouthed in public, cough in their hands and then handle things like public door handles, grocery store buggies, etc. This is how the flu and other illnesses are easily passed on to to other people, and it's the reason the cold/flu seasons last as long as they do - people practicing poor public hygiene, and not teaching their children to do the same.

It's also common courtesy towards others, to teach your kids to cover their mouths when they could or sneeze in public. I believe a lack of parents teaching their kids common courtesy IS a big problem today, as a matter of fact.

But then, if you are not aware of what proper common courtesy and proper public hygiene is, then your children won't be aware of what it is, either.

Some suggested reading (for kids and apparently parents, too):

Prevent Flu: Cover Up When You Sneeze or Cough

5 Bad Habits That Cause Kids' Colds

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Cover Your Cough

Cover Your Cough Frequently Asked Questions - Minnesota Dept. of Health

A gift for the kids: Who Knew?(R) The Stop Germs & Illness Issue (http://store.channing-bete.com/onlinestore/storeitem.html?vid=20050104004&iid=174710&icode=94 977&item=Who+Knew%3F%28R%29+The+Stop+Germs+%26+Ill ness+Issue - broken link)
As an educator, I have to second this. How many times do we have children coming to school sick, sneezing and coughing without covering their mouths, going to the bathroom and coming right out not washing their hands...even though it is out responsibility as teachers, it is even more of a responsibility of the parents. We are not talking little tykes here...we are talking fourth and fifth graders who should KNOW better, but yet in still, it is becoming a learned behavior.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:

However, in case you've not spoken to a Doctor - people (and last time I checked, kids were "people")
IDK about that one...

Quote:
, spread viruses to OTHER people when they cough open-mouthed in public, cough in their hands and then handle things like public door handles, grocery store buggies, etc. This is how the flu and other illnesses are easily passed on to to other people, and it's the reason the cold/flu seasons last as long as they do - people practicing poor public hygiene, and not teaching their children to do the same.
I'm very aware of how germs are spread. I just thought it was funny that that was what you pointed it out as an example as Gen Y's "chaotic" existence. Now, if you want MY opinion, I haven't noticed a huge trend in this except in little kids, in which case this has ALWAYS been a problem. Again, I'm a Gen Y and my friends and I always cover our mouths. We're in our early 20s now. Believe me, most will learn, generally through social coercion, ostracism, and other sociological learning techniques, and those who don't generally won't be working your occupation (it's all a part of stratification of the classes).

BTW, the flu season is longer because more people today work indoor jobs, close together in tiny cubicles, not because of a lack of common courtesy. It goes down in the summer because that's when people leave the office and take a break. Perhaps you should go back to that CDC site and look into the research on that (many of the computer models I did )

Old 05-10-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
What generation are you talking about currently? I assume you are not referring to "Gen-Y" or mid-20's? Because being only a few years out of that age range, I don't believe that at all. I'm not some crusty old retiree looking down at this age range.

A few years ago, I left the job I was working as a lead after I changed from a crew of mostly then-late-20s, to then-early-20s/late teens (now the group who is mid 20s). The difference in the crews was astounding. With the first, we would work hard to make sure everything on our show was in tip top shape, and do extra work to make things run smoother and easier. We'd come in on days off to fix things if enough stuff was broken. Then we'd all happily go have a beer after, because we were happy with our work.

When I got the group of younger kids, I could not , for the life of me, get them to work on anything. The show was falling apart, and they couldn't care less. I'd bring a broken fixture to one of them and ask them to do a quick fix, and he'd reply something like "whatever, it's not like anyone is going to notice one broken fixture." Any time I'd call a work call, they would complain so much that there was no point in even having the work call (and we're talking 4 hours in the middle of the day). Nothing would get done. They consistently tried to get me to cut things from the show so that their job would be easier, but never once tried to make the show better. The show fell further and further into disrepair until I just couldn't handle it any more. I could only do so much on my own. Management was no help because he was a pushover whose good friend was one of the complainers. I couldn't even fire the guy who showed up to work wasted out of his mind on numerous occasions. So I packed up my crap and left. I still know a lot of people who work there and it's still fascinating to hear what it's like now.

The younger group and the older group were being paid the same wages to do the exact same job in the same situations. But the younger group had no interest in doing a GOOD job, only getting paid. Yes, they had confidence flowing out the wazoo...but what did they do with it? Acted like confident children. Most of them knew little to nothing about their actual job, just enough to make it LOOK like they knew what they were doing.

Being smart enough to pull off looking good, without actually knowing what you are doing, does not mean you are better at your job. it just means you know how to manipulate appearances. It's like those people in school who were master BSers who could write a paper about anything in very little time. It's not because they were smart and knew anything about the subject, it's because they knew how to make up good crap.

Every generation has it's good and bad, but I don't think they're getting any smarter...only more confident and able to pull things over on people.
So, because of one group of people you had contact with, we're automatically a bunch of BSers? I can also give you my counterargument that makes 40 and 50 somethings look like a bunch of union-dependent whiners, but I won't. I know my mother isn't like that, my dad was, and it differed in between with others in their generation. You really need to work with more folks before making a blanket statement like that. It just sounds like you got a bag of bad apples.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
So, because of one group of people you had contact with, we're automatically a bunch of BSers? I can also give you my counterargument that makes 40 and 50 somethings look like a bunch of union-dependent whiners, but I won't. I know my mother isn't like that, my dad was, and it differed in between with others in their generation. You really need to work with more folks before making a blanket statement like that. It just sounds like you got a bag of bad apples.
Oh, sorry I only brought up the one group. There are others. The place my wife works has had to fire over half of their staff (about 15 people) of early 20's-types because they lack any sort of work ethic whatsoever...showing up late, not showing up at all, always having an excuse as to why they can't come to work on days, using cell phones during work (which is prohibited), not being at their station, etc. The ones they haven't fired aren't much better, but they have to have someone working. After they fired so many, they started rehiring, and have fired many of the re-hires. And it's not exactly a hard job, mostly just to assist and guide customers. Most of them, when fired, go on a tirade about how they aren't being treated fairly and how it's not their fault they have other things going on in their life. Blah blah blah.

I work in an industry where I see all sorts of groups from all different walks of life come through on a regular basis. Generally, the crowd of late 20's-mid 40's has their stuff together and does great work. The older crowd can indeed be very arrogant or dependent on others. But the late teen/early 20's crowd has a chip on their shoulder and seem to think they are God's gift to their profession, like these older guys could never do what they can do. While most of them can do the job, they mostly seem to just go through the motions, not really knowing WHY they are doing them. They are doing what they learned to do to make money, but have never taken the time to learn why what they are doing works. As their local support, I have had to fix their equipment on many occasions, because they didn't know how to diagnose and fix problems. Any slight against their work generally brings on a tirade.

Sorry if you think my opinion is out of line. But it's my opinion, and you can have your opinion, too. If you think the early-20's generation is the smartest and hardest-working out there, then you go right ahead and think that. I might agree if you said, "Those who are really going for it are the smartest and hardest working out there (moreso than than 30's and 40's)," but to classify the generation as a whole as being hard-working and smarter...I don't agree with that for one second. Like I said before, I'm 34...I'm not just some old geezer picking on the young whipper-snappers of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: