Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Just reflecting that I don't want my little sidebar on English usage to derail this thread for the OP, Arsenal.

I don't know the areas around the Hayes and Sedalia Park schools, but I notice from the map that they're in barely-West and barely-East Cobb, respectively. The East Cobb cachet (or snobbery, depending on how you see it) is mostly about the more eastern part of East Cobb, particularly the Walton high school attendance zone.

Arsenal, I think the title of your thread is probably a bit unhelpful to your desire to get comparisons of the subdivisions and schools that interested you. What comes to the mind of a forum regular when they see "East cobb v West cobb" is not what you want. Maybe you should try a fresh thread with either a title that's specific about the areas of interest, or if you prefer a more general title, go with something like "Trying to decide between subdivisions in Cobb". That would stop people thinking you're looking for an East Cobb versus West Cobb debate. At least, I think that's not what you want.
To reiterate...

Sedalia Park Elementary is a fantastic chool. It is in the Wheeler High School district which is definitely East Cobb and is also a great school.

Hayes Elementary is a good school. It is in the Kennesaw Mountain High School district which is definitely West Cobb and is also a great school.

Let's not worry about what is more "East Cobb-esque"...the Wheeler area is beautiful with great schools and there is no question that it is "East Cobb."

Like neil said, Hayes and Sedalia Park would both be great choices. You can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM

32 posts, read 112,072 times
Thank you so much for your responses guys! I'm not looking for snobbery just a safe friendly area that has schools that will give our children a good education and has parks,malls etc close by.RainyRainy day I think that you are right about the title of my thread,no I do not want to start a debate on East v West cobb so maybe it is incorrectly titled..I will start a new thread. Once again many thnaks to you all for your input!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,236,730 times
Quote:
I've noticed on the forum and elsewhere that many people seem confused about these two words. jurban8 has the correct usage. Whether or not one agrees with the idea being expressed, it was expressed correctly.

Cachet originally meant a mark of distinction or prestige; it is also quite commonly (and acceptably) used as a synomym for prestige. So jurban8's final sentence is a simple claim that East Cobb is more prestigious than West Cobb.

In disagreeing, Neil used the word cache, which means a hiding place for, or hidden store of, valuables, ammunition or food, e.g. "Luckily, the Nazi patrol did not find our weapons cache".

Pronunciation: cachet is like "cash-ay" (with the emphasis on the second syllable); cache is like "cash".
LOLOL... I think the "cache" was just a spelling error... but thanks for the lesson... LOL...

Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 PM

128 posts, read 351,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
WHAT? Sorry, but that's completely, totally, and utterly NOT correct.

We looked in East Cobb....we could have bought in East Cobb...but we bought in West Cobb based on what at that time (Sep 2007) was a huge difference in the cost and age of homes in East Cobb versus West Cobb. You just got much more for much less at that time in West Cobb.

Both areas have good schools and are family friendly. East Cobb has Walton HS, but Harrison and KMHS are quite good, just not quite to the Walton edge. West Cobb is a little less built up in some areas and East Cobb was built up generally earlier than West Cobb, but other than that, I'm not sure what "cache" you're missing.
I'm sorry but there is no doubt that East Cobb (particulary the most eastern part) has an edge over the western half of the county when it comes to snob appeal. It may not have to do with what is actually in EC (besides the schools: Walton, Lassiter, Pope) as much as what the area it is directly adjacent to: the Sandy Springs/Roswell/Dunwoody area. I don't doubt that one gets more for their money in the western part of the county, but you do realize this is a reflection of cheaper land values, right? I don't even live in E Cobb, nor do I care to, but denying that the "East Cobb Snob" syndrome exists is "untterly incorrect."

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,118,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
I'm sorry but there is no doubt that East Cobb (particulary the most eastern part) has an edge over the western half of the county when it comes to snob appeal.
I never said anything about "snob appeal" (your words). I was addressing the comments about west Cobb not being as 'family friendly." There is also a big difference between the Columns Dr and Paper Mill areas in East Cobb, and some of the "lesser" areas around Sandy Plains Rd further north. Still very nice, but nothing any nicer than parts of Marietta and Kennesaw in west Cobb.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,835 times
Probably too late to post this, but I did live in East Cobb as a student and I am now attending the University of Georgia.

From experiences of having friends in both West and East Cobb and commuting to random events on either sides of the county, I would much prefer East Cobb. Yes, it is a little more expensive and more built up, but I would be willing to pay more for a better education, after school activities and local events.

Proof:
Walton (3), Lassiter (11), Pope (13) and Wheeler (15) are all ranked higher in SAT scores in the state than all the West Cobb schools, and Harrison (23) is the only one on the list from West Cobb.
Top 25 Georgia high schools by average SAT scores *| ajc.com

In 2000 (very outdated, but I don't want to subscribe) 4 of the top 20 were in East Cobb (don't go into the Sprayberry district though, not a good school). The first for West Cobb on this list of 50 was North Cobb at 28 then Harrison at 32. This list was for students passing their graduation tests.
Ranking of High Schools in Georgia

An extra tidbit of information on my graduating class from 2009 at Lassiter: Out of our class of 570, about 50 of them went to UGA, 40 went to GA Tech, 50 went to KSU, and the rest went to remaining schools like Valdasta, GCSU, Georgia Southern, Emory, etc. I believe roughly 6 went to the army and probably 20 tops did not graduate (from what I saw).

For Sports, Lassiter is ranked 15th in the state for their football team last year.
Georgia High School Football Rankings - MaxPreps
And even though I don't have any websites to back up these claims but the Swim Team at Lassiter has consistently came in 1st I am pretty sure 7 out of the last 8 years. The Golf team has won state twice within the last 5 years. Baseball, Tennis, Lacrosse and Basketball has had Lassiter state and nationally ranked.

Now you were asking about parks, which there are many. There is Harrison Park, Sandy Plains Park, Sweat Mountain, East Cobb Park, Noonday Park, Leita Thompson Memorial, and numerous others that slip my mind at the moment.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah1234 View Post
Probably too late to post this, but I did live in East Cobb as a student and I am now attending the University of Georgia.

From experiences of having friends in both West and East Cobb and commuting to random events on either sides of the county, I would much prefer East Cobb. Yes, it is a little more expensive and more built up, but I would be willing to pay more for a better education, after school activities and local events.

Proof:
Walton (3), Lassiter (11), Pope (13) and Wheeler (15) are all ranked higher in SAT scores in the state than all the West Cobb schools, and Harrison (23) is the only one on the list from West Cobb.
Top 25 Georgia high schools by average SAT scores *| ajc.com

In 2000 (very outdated, but I don't want to subscribe) 4 of the top 20 were in East Cobb (don't go into the Sprayberry district though, not a good school). The first for West Cobb on this list of 50 was North Cobb at 28 then Harrison at 32. This list was for students passing their graduation tests.
Ranking of High Schools in Georgia

An extra tidbit of information on my graduating class from 2009 at Lassiter: Out of our class of 570, about 50 of them went to UGA, 40 went to GA Tech, 50 went to KSU, and the rest went to remaining schools like Valdasta, GCSU, Georgia Southern, Emory, etc. I believe roughly 6 went to the army and probably 20 tops did not graduate (from what I saw).

For Sports, Lassiter is ranked 15th in the state for their football team last year.
Georgia High School Football Rankings - MaxPreps
And even though I don't have any websites to back up these claims but the Swim Team at Lassiter has consistently came in 1st I am pretty sure 7 out of the last 8 years. The Golf team has won state twice within the last 5 years. Baseball, Tennis, Lacrosse and Basketball has had Lassiter state and nationally ranked.

Now you were asking about parks, which there are many. There is Harrison Park, Sandy Plains Park, Sweat Mountain, East Cobb Park, Noonday Park, Leita Thompson Memorial, and numerous others that slip my mind at the moment.

Sprayberry is a good school.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah1234 View Post
... Now you were asking about parks, which there are many. There is Harrison Park, Sandy Plains Park, Sweat Mountain, East Cobb Park, Noonday Park, Leita Thompson Memorial, and numerous others that slip my mind at the moment.
I love Leita Thompson Memorial Park - the trails, the little lake and streams, the dog park, the intriguing old buildings - and take my dogs there often. It's a great local amenity and it's so cool that it was donated by a woman who was a pioneer in the business world.

However, even though northeast Cobb residents such as myself are able to take advantage of this park, it shouldn't really be listed among the parks of East Cobb, seeing as it's in the City of Roswell.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I love Leita Thompson Memorial Park - the trails, the little lake and streams, the dog park, the intriguing old buildings - and take my dogs there often. It's a great local amenity and it's so cool that it was donated by a woman who was a pioneer in the business world.

However, even though northeast Cobb residents such as myself are able to take advantage of this park, it shouldn't really be listed among the parks of East Cobb, seeing as it's in the City of Roswell.

I love this park as well--the City of Roswell has done a great job with it.

And I'm glad you mentioned that it is not in East Cobb (but close).

Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,504,387 times
Okay so most people on this forum know I am both of resident of East Cobb and a big fan of its educational programs. Sedalia park....My closest friend pulled all of her kids out of this school. She was very frustrated with the lack of parent participation. Her gifted child was allowed to sit all day and read books because they could not challenge her in any way other than to put her ahead a year in math. At great cost to the family they sold their home and moved to a different school in East Cobb. They still struggle with the more expensive home but feel overwhelmingly this was the right choice. This was just last year. So why I do not have personal experience with this school, I felt I had to comment as I really respect and value this person's opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta