Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM

479 posts, read 703,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's like the Angry Black Man Syndrome they keep talking about with Obama. According to that theory, black men are not supposed to show anger or other strong emotions because it plays into the stereotypes about them being out of control, dangerous, whiny, always perceiving themselves as being downtrodden, overly emotional, etc.

It's a tried and true technique for marginalizing and minimizing people. "Oh, don't pay any attention to them, it's just another example of Angry ( Insert Subject ) Syndrome." Try it on one of your friends sometime when they are really upset -- or better yet, let them try it on you -- and see how it works.
Its weird, because I know LOTS of white men who would readily admit they are angry right now. Very angry, in fact. None would feel the least bit marginalized or minimized by the label "Angry White Man Syndrome". In truth, they would probably enjoy the fact that our anger is finally being acknowledged.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Its weird, because I know LOTS of white men who would readily admit they are angry right now. Very angry, in fact. None would feel the least bit marginalized or minimized by the label "Angry White Man Syndrome". In truth, they would probably enjoy the fact that our anger is finally being acknowledged.
Of course they don't feel the least big marginalized or minimized. That's because they are not marginalized or minimized by these labels. Regardless of what anyone says about white men, they still hold virtually all the levers of power -- in government, business, academia, sports, entertainment, you name it. They can get mad any time they want, and they often do.

So stereotypes don't have the power to diminish their anger the way they do with women or black men. No one's ever written op-eds about whether it's appropriate for white male presidents to show anger. White men's emotions are the gold standard. By definition they're considered normal and justifiable, and they are never considered an aberration or "syndrome."

Old 06-21-2010, 05:02 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Relationship issues belong under the RELATIONSHIP forum....

.......just saying

Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Relationship issues belong under the RELATIONSHIP forum....
I agree. Wonder they put it here?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM

[quote=arjay57;14713944]Of course they don't feel the least big marginalized or minimized. That's because they are not marginalized or minimized by these labels. Regardless of what anyone says about white men, they still hold virtually all the levers of power -- in government, business, academia, sports, entertainment, you name it.

So stereotypes don't have the power to diminish their anger the way they do with women or black men. No one's ever written op-eds about whether it's appropriate for white male presidents to show anger. White men's emotions are the gold standard. By definition they're considered normal and justifiable, and they are never considered an aberration or "syndrome."[/quote]

Bobby Knight would appreciate your perspective.

Go back and read some other threads. There are plenty of posts practically gloating over the diminished population percentage of whites in the USA. There are also numerous predictions about the coming demise of "conservative right wingnuts" (read: white man), presumably to be supplanted by non-whites/multi-culturalism.

As whites/white culture established and LED the country from its humble beginnings, starting with writing and signing the D of I, to building up its economic, industrial, technological and military might, it would seem a fairly natural thing to me.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Black women and relationships... man I think the server would crash if I really said all I wanted to say on this one lol. Ill sit back and watch.
co sign

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM

[quote=Bullbear;14714193]
Quote:
There are plenty of posts practically gloating over the diminished population percentage of whites in the USA. There are also numerous predictions about the coming demise of "conservative right wingnuts" (read: white man), presumably to be supplanted by non-whites/multi-culturalism.

As whites/white culture established and LED the country from its humble beginnings, starting with writing and signing the D of I, to building up its economic, industrial, technological and military might, it would seem a fairly natural thing to me.
Classic. A thread that starts out about black men and women ends up being about how white guys are victimized. Being forced to sit on all those boards of directors and to become university presidents, heads of state, billionaire yachtsmen, medical chiefs of staff, four star generals, supreme court judges, and so forth. It's horrible out there for the white man.

And then people have the unmitigated cruelty to call one of them a fool when he throws chairs on the basketball court and slugs a few college kids. It breaks your heart what these fellows go through.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
So the most you can up with on the stereotyping/victimization of white men is through a couple of anonymous internet blogs that mainstream America hardly cares to even acknowledge? Oh please guy, you gotta do better than that...

Bobby Knight is still a well-respected member of the basketball community despite being convicted in absentia in a Puerto Rico criminal court (Has never served ANY time, mind you), assaulting several of his personnel throughout his career, and being fired from Indiana due to several unflattering incidents.

You will find little to no attempts by the mainstream media be it LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE to pigeonhole old white male basketball coaches or ANY old white male coaches as chair-throwing, neck choking maniacs. They are still being hired in large quantities despite the false whining of your talk-radio gods to the contrary.

Yet if a black coach pulled at least half the crap that Bobby Knight got away with over his career, that guy would be black-balled from the whole industry be it high school, college or the Pros. PERIOD. A black guy with Bobby Knight's checkered history would be lucky to even score a job as an assistant little league coach.

Just my two cents, mind you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Bobby Knight would appreciate your perspective.

Go back and read some other threads. There are plenty of posts practically gloating over the diminished population percentage of whites in the USA. There are also numerous predictions about the coming demise of "conservative right wingnuts" (read: white man), presumably to be supplanted by non-whites/multi-culturalism.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-21-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
It is so tragic what those old wealthy white males go through. Tragic I say!!!

Quote:
Classic. A thread that starts out about black men and women ends up being about how white guys are victimized. Being forced to sit on all those boards of directors and to become university presidents, heads of state, billionaire yachtsmen, medical chiefs of staff, four star generals, supreme court judges, and so forth. It's horrible out there for the white man.

And then people have the unmitigated cruelty to call one of them a fool when he throws chairs on the basketball court and slugs a few college kids. It breaks your heart what these fellows go through.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:

I certainly wasnt defending or advocating for Bobby Knight. I was just pointing out the absurd claim you made about white men's emotions cannot be considered unstable. If Bobby Knight's teams didnt win (lots of) games, rest assured he would been out of coaching long ago. Put that on society's shoulders of sports obsession, not whitey.

Yea, of course when white men that do achieve such pinnacles of success, its only because of their skin color. They possess no ability, no intelligence, no work ethic, nothing above what an average street bum has. Its merely because they are white and male. Sure.....

Pretty much every tv show/movie today portrays white men, almost exclusively, as the evil doers. Its extremely rare to see black or brown people as the bad guys. If they are, there is always some justification, ie, somehow ultimately its the white man's fault.

No one is asking anyone to feel sorry for the white man. We dont care about that, at all. But I do think at some point there will be a backlash. Call it an observation. Or perhaps a warning.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta