Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 17,095 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm relocating to GA in the next couple of months and have been townhouse searching in the Atlanta area for the last two years. I have seen alot of the newer townhomes going up and my first choice was Brookhaven (View at Lenox crossing-Pulte). I am working with a great realtor who really knows the area. I'm 37 and single and really looking to be in a nice area with lots of single people, but I do want a townhome (multi-level) and not one of the midrise condo types in the mid-town area.

I really love the Lenox Mall/Phipps plaza area, however I stumbed on this place called The Chamercy in Dunwoody. It's outside the perimeter and about 8 miles from Lenox mall however it's close to Perimeter Mall and has (so they say) lots of shops/restaurant/bars within walking distance of the townhomes in the delevlopment. I'm going to check it out next week but was wondering if someone could tell me if Dunwoody is a better pick than Brookhaven for someone like me. 8 Miles is not far to drive to get to Brookhaven, but is Dunwoody a better spot or is it lots of familes and kids. The prices of the townhomes in The Chamercy in Dunwoody are around $359K (neg.) for 1800 heated sq ft. The Pulte townhomes are 1750 heated sq ft. at The View at Lenox Crossing in Brookhaven for $280K. I will be looking for a job when I get down there and I want to base my decision on what townhouse community I like better and will work my job around that.

Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
I would say that Dunwoody in general is more family oriented, but there is quite a bit to do in the Perimeter Mall Area. It's not really a "hopping nightlife" area, but there are a few fun restaurants that morph into nightlife spots (Twisted Taco and Eclipse de Luna at Park Place, for example). If you're looking for real nightlife as a priority, Dunwoody might not be the spot for you, but there's plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angcityforum View Post
I will be looking for a job when I get down there and I want to base my decision on what townhouse community I like better and will work my job around that.
I hope you're coming here with an ample "reserve" built up - Atlanta wasn't spared from the recession you know. There have been folks on here even, who have expressed concerns about having been here quite a while and not yet finding a job (of course depends on the field).

That being said, I personally see Dunwoody as a bit more family-oriented. Sort of a "suburban but close to the city" feel to it. I'd prefer Brookhaven over Dunwoody if it were ME moving back intown, due to the proximity to the Buckhead area, the MARTA station being right there, etc. Brookhaven home prices haven't dropped quite as much as some other areas, but shop around - you can find good stuff for under $350k there now - that realtor of yours no doubt will be able to find them.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Angcityforum - Have your realtor check out:
Brookhaven Township
The Fernwood rowhomes directly behind the MARTA station off of Apple Valley Rd.
The new Brookhaven Village area on both sides of Dresden Rd.

Your budget allows you to snag something very nice that would match what you desire.
I live adjacent to Brookhaven, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
I grew up in Dunwoody, lived in Brookhaven-ish area (actually slightly closer in off N. Druid Hills) and now am married and live in D'wood again. If I were single, I would prefer living in Brookhaven b/c it is just much quicker to get everywhere "in-town" from there. You can jump on 85 at N. Druid really, really easy or just cruise into Buckhead as well, in like 5 minutes. As a single guy back in the day, I found that general locale awesome for having a good nightlife and it's reasonably safe. I would not go walking/running/biking down Buford Hwy at night or anything, but generally you'll be okay.

I have a coworker who lives in that same development...she seems to really like it. I would fight for a deal. New construction townhomes/condos are nose diving everywhere (not as much in-town, but still not doing great). Also know that you will not be able to sell it until the development is finished (people ALWAYS buy new for some reason, even if the pre-owned are drastically cheaper). Actually, if I were you, I would go for a pre-owned in that development, as you can get some good deals (maybe you already are).

Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Default is that Fernwood Park?

The rowhomes you are talking about is that Fernwood Park? If no those are close to $400K - way over my budget.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I would say that Dunwoody in general is more family oriented, but there is quite a bit to do in the Perimeter Mall Area. It's not really a "hopping nightlife" area, but there are a few fun restaurants that morph into nightlife spots (Twisted Taco and Eclipse de Luna at Park Place, for example). If you're looking for real nightlife as a priority, Dunwoody might not be the spot for you, but there's plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.
I do agree that Dunwoody has more of a 'family' orientation, but judging from the crowds that I have seen at restaurants in the Perimeter area, it's not exactly a wasteland for singletons, either. If being close to the 'action' of Midtown/Buckhead is a priority, however, Brookhaven would win the day. IMO, Brookhaven is only going to get more interesting over time.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Default Brookhaven

Thanks! I do really like Brookhaven actually. I've townhome hunted there a few times, went to Smyrna, and also Chamblee...imo, Brookhaven was the coolest area. I have not seen the Chamercy in Dunwoody yet but I am going to check it out anyway. I'm also going to check out the Danbury Parc complex off of Donaldson Rd...but that is a few miles away from Phipps etc...But you do get more square footage for the money only 3 miles from my first choice in Brookhaven at the Views at Lenox Crossing....I guess I have to see them all to decide what's a better area for me.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 15,599 times
The townhomes in Dunwoody are called Grammercy. They are really nice and seem well constructed. I visited them this weekend.

Gramercy Townhomes

Old 05-19-2009, 03:03 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,157 times
Let me start out by saying that Brookhaven is my favorite area in Atlanta! However, Danbury Parc would also be a nice location. It is actually quite close to Brookhaven and the Pulte townhomes you are eyeing. The one thing that the Pulte townhomes would offer you ove Danbury Parc is fantastic access to I-85 via N. Druid Hills.

FYI, one of the posters here lives in a townhome in Danbury Parc (GoBlue99?). If you were to post a new thread with a title of Danbury Parc, I am should he would offer his insight. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta