Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times

Advertisements

Atlanta Rapper Killed In Mall Shooting - News Story - WSB Atlanta (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19500468/detail.html - broken link)

Here is the link from WSB on Roderick Burton II aka "Dolla". Stuff like this really depresses me. I miss the old school traditional rap represented by artists like Afrika Bambataa & Grandmaster Flash. The stuff that's on the scene nowadays along with the thug culture being perpetuated is pure garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Atlanta Rapper Killed In Mall Shooting - News Story - WSB Atlanta (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19500468/detail.html - broken link)

Here is the link from WSB on Roderick Burton II aka "Dolla". Stuff like this really depresses me. I miss the old school traditional rap represented by artists like Afrika Bambataa & Grandmaster Flash. The stuff that's on the scene nowadays along with the thug culture being perpetuated is pure garbage.
I'm still waiting for the rap supporters to show up saying "you can't blame rap as a whole for this- there are plenty of great rap artists who aren't thugs", which is what happens in every rap-related thread on here.

While that may be true, the outward appearance of the genre is constantly in the headlines with crap like this shooting, the film "Notorius", etc., so the public never gets to see the "other" side, which keeps it from being able to emerge from behind the garbage. It's a shame for any non-thug artists who end up getting held down because of this crap.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm still waiting for the rap supporters to show up saying "you can't blame rap as a whole for this- there are plenty of great rap artists who aren't thugs", which is what happens in every rap-related thread on here.

While that may be true, the outward appearance of the genre is constantly in the headlines with crap like this shooting, the film "Notorius", etc., so the public never gets to see the "other" side, which keeps it from being able to emerge from behind the garbage. It's a shame for any non-thug artists who end up getting held down because of this crap.
Very well put, and so true. The sad thing is the youth supports the nonsense, not the good side of the genre. What sells is junk, the hype that one must be a gangter/thug to do well in the rap industry. Reeping what they sow. Intelligent music is too hard for some to understand, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
How much hatred do you have to have in order to have the resolve to follow someone, with whom you just fought, from the airport to the mall? Do you think the suspect even had a brief flash of conscience in that getting sastisfaction just may not be worth 25 years to life?

Given that the rapper Dolla had a little bit of a douchey name, he seemed like a good kid and didn't deserve this. I hope that overly sensitive bastard who decided to stalk and shoot him gets thrown into a hole for the rest of his life.
Douchey, lol... Remember most of these types of kids do not value their own lives, so what's someone else's life worth to them? I have a very strict mental policy for these types. Put them in a 6x6 cell (no bigger than a storage unit), and throw away the keys for life. Very little food, 1 meal a day, locked up in a small cell that can never reopen, and let them rot for life. I'm so tired of the stories of thug this, thug that, thug nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
This is a good lesson for kids, though. I have no idea if "dolla" had a police record or not (would surprise me if any Rapper doesn't these days it seems). But - if you work for a label called "Konvict" and your latest song has the F-bomb in the title of it... well... hanging out with the kind of crowd that comes up with THAT kind of stuff isn't going to exactly put you in the safest of environments, even if you are a nice kid. Hang/Work with the gangstas, and you get the gangsta life, even if you aren't one.
Well said. I just don't understand the hype of being a thug. They see the end results, why continue? Too glorified. Let them reep what they sow. You cannot expect good to come when you surround yourself with that nonsense. Sorry to sound a bit cold, but the world has to go on. It's an issue outsiders cannot and should not have to solve. Let the thugs have a big convention and work their issues out. (Guantanamo Bay is available......Let me stop, not nice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Yeah--you can't expect to stay out of trouble when your label is called Konvict. LOL!

Another lesson is that you gotta know when to just walk away from a confrontation. I guess his killer will have a lot of time to think about that one.
Lol, again that thug lifestyle on record that follows them in life. Who knows the whole story? Poor kid....Things didn't have to end that way, but that's sadly the usual story.

You are right, what happened to the good ole days of decent rap music? Topics used to be enlightening, eye openers, and as Chris Rock said it, "You could defend rap music back then as an artform".

That is no longer the case. (However there are great artists that are not given credit. Underground artists, that will never be heard on the mainstream networks that are talented and intelligent with great subject matters).

Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

They need to be held accountable for that nonsense. If the powers that be glorify that lifestyle, let them deal with the liabilities that come from it.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM

325 posts, read 979,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
They need to be held accountable for that nonsense. If the powers that be glorify that lifestyle, let them deal with the liabilities that come from it.
I concur....

Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
I thought that the tupac and biggy deaths were senseless, but I think it has more to do with them not having anything to rap about other than saying "I'm the King this and that blah blah"... I'm sure they all have stuff to rap about and they do about growing up in the ghetto but I think some of them get too vocal... The downside of rap versus other genres is you have to talk a lot more to fill the song.

In some regards though I've seen a big improvement over the years... You don't hear "pop pop you dead" kind of stuff anymore that you used to here on every rap song.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I'm sure they all have stuff to rap about and they do about growing up in the ghetto but I think some of them get too vocal... The downside of rap versus other genres is you have to talk a lot more to fill the song.
It's too bad there is so much emphasis on "keeping it real" and none on using your imagination. Then these guys could rap about whatever they want and not have to shoot or kill people just so they can rap about shooting and killing people.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Here is the video from Dolla's one semi hit song.
You have to click on the blue text to see. Clicking the Play symbol won't work

YouTube - Dolla;Dolla featuring T-Pain & Tay Dizm - Who The F*** Is That?

Wow. I wonder what kind of argument he coulda had with someone (especially if they were a stranger) that would make them follow him all the way from LAX to the Beverly Center to continue that argument?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM

139 posts, read 314,064 times
This is sad. He was an acquaintance. So young. Plus, he has a kid(s). It's unfortunate.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Are you talking about the record labels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: