Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The more I think about it, the shooter could NOT have been from Los Angeles. No one from LA who really knows the ins and outs of LA would have attempted something like that in that part of town at that time of day. My guess is the victim had beef with someone who followed him to California. I think the airport scuffle was a front.

Heck, LA Crips and Bloods are not dumb enough to attempt a drive by in the light of day in Beverly Hills. This guy had to be from out of town. I think there is a lot more to this story.
Great points. That stuff usually happens late at night and at night clubs. Even here in Atlanta where our malls become play grounds for those types on some nights we've never had that happen.

The only thing bad I can remember here during daylight would be the nutcase who shot the judge and ran around town afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Rapper Dolla's family plans Saturday funeral in Atlanta | AccessAtlanta (http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/content/entertainment/stories/2009/05/20/rapper_dolla_family.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_news tab - broken link)

Update:

Los Angeles Police said late Tuesday the killer of Atlanta rapper Dolla acted alone, though they wouldn’t confirm whether Monday’s shooting stemmed from a recent brawl at an Atlanta strip club.
Snellville resident Aubrey Louis Berry, 23, is being held on $1 million bail, charged with murdering Dolla, born Roderick Anthony Burton II, outside the Beverly Center Mall in West Hollywood, Calif., Monday afternoon.

Are you serious? Followed him all the way from here to LA because of a fight? SMH..idiots these days...
Nothing surprises me anymore. This "gangsta" culture that seems so prevalent with my fellow ebony brothas is getting waaaay outta control. There is something that is lacking with my community that is allowing this disprotionate amount of crime & and deaths from those crimes to take place. What exactly it is I don't know, but I hope to find an answer...

Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Nothing surprises me anymore. This "gangsta" culture that seems so prevalent with my fellow ebony brothas is getting waaaay outta control. There is something that is lacking with my community that is allowing this disprotionate amount of crime & and deaths from those crimes to take place. What exactly it is I don't know, but I hope to find an answer...
A lack of self-respect, perhaps?

Just a gut reaction, not a comment made from experience. I am a midwestern white boy, after all.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
This had nothing to do with rap culture, 2 people had a confrontation and the other was a complete idiot who shot him (who happen to be a rapper) in the head in broad daylight and tried to make a get away to the airport. This is no different than the typical evening news in which some punk gets mad after a scuffle and shoots the other person, just this time the other person happened to be a rap artist.
Werd? ....Ok, sure....(Contradictions...I don't even need to say more).

This whole thug wanna be, keep it real (ignorant) mentality is what's behind it all. They put it on the records, and live by it. Let's be real. I call a spade what it is. I'm all for good hip hop (Little Brother, Murz, Joe Scuda, The Roots, Nas, Q-Tip, Pete Rock, Elzhi, Lupe Fiasco) to name a few.

You don't hear about them as much. They're not ones to spread nonsense either. They keep their underground audience, and stay away from garbage music and idiotic crowds.

I can't say I can pass judgement on Dolla, but truth is; "You live by it, you die by it". He may have had a quarrel with the guy who shot him before he got killed, weeks/months ago. The guy is from the Metro area after all. There's more to it than we all know, but we have our pre-conceived notions about the whole thug lifestyle and those who glorify it. I also don't pity those who live by that code.
Who knows? It could have been a set up for all we know..I'm just saying.

Some get out or grow out of it, and make decent citizens of themselves and you also have those that glorify "thug life" and dumb *****, and they reep what they sow in the end. They need to stop preaching the nonsense. Eventually it bites you in the ass somewhere. May he rest in Peace.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The more I think about it, the shooter could NOT have been from Los Angeles. No one from LA who really knows the ins and outs of LA would have attempted something like that in that part of town at that time of day. My guess is the victim had beef with someone who followed him to California. I think the airport scuffle was a front.

Heck, LA Crips and Bloods are not dumb enough to attempt a drive by in the light of day in Beverly Hills. This guy had to be from out of town. I think there is a lot more to this story.
The broad daylight in the middle of a crowded mall part of the incident is crazy even by Atlanta standards. But one thing I have noticed living both in the South and North is that the Southern brand of "Gangsta" types is much more likely to commit hot headed type murders where they are practically begging to be caught.

In New York and L.A. killers are much more likely to plan and plot their killings where if you watch the local Atlanta news you will see so many of the murders are simply someone gets pissed off and POP! with no regard for where they are, whose around, or rather or not they may get away with it. On my last trip to New Jersey I heard some young guys on the subway disscussing the same thing. They were talking to each other about how "crazy" "Brothas" down south were. How they would kill you and didn't care whether they got away with it or not if you made them mad.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM

550 posts, read 1,638,114 times
Default It's a Southern Thing - "The Culture of Honor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The broad daylight in the middle of a crowded mall part of the incident is crazy even by Atlanta standards. But one thing I have noticed living both in the South and North is that the Southern brand of "Gangsta" types is much more likely to commit hot headed type murders where they are practically begging to be caught.

In New York and L.A. killers are much more likely to plan and plot their killings where if you watch the local Atlanta news you will see so many of the murders are simply someone gets pissed off and POP! with no regard for where they are, whose around, or rather or not they may get away with it. On my last trip to New Jersey I heard some young guys on the subway discussing the same thing. They were talking to each other about how "crazy" "Brothas" down south were. How they would kill you and didn't care whether they got away with it or not if you made them mad.
Keen observations!

This north vs. south cultural difference has been studied and documented... it is known as the southern "culture of honor". It's not just a product of black-southern culture, because it's also a part of white-southern culture.

When I read the following excerpt, in a book by Malcolm Gladwell most recent book "Outliers", I realized the conflict-resolution differences between my husband, a black man from the south, and myself, a white woman from the north, were often more so north/south differences - as opposed to black/white differences.

[quote]
Harlan Kentucky - "Die like a man, like your brother did."
[indent][From Malcom Gladwell's book "Outliers" : this section is from Chapter 6 and follows : REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Due to potentially legal copyright issues, please DO NOT copy/paste articles from books, magazines, or web articles. Post a link instead to the article. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 PM

170 posts, read 774,526 times
All I can say is this is what happens when you glorify something that you cant even retire from. Rapping? Come on now. Its sad that are young black brothers (and sisters too) are getting killed every day because of wanting to live like BET, MTV, VH1 and ESPN. Go to school. Get an education. Attempt to do something with your life besides "rhyming" about being rich and "B"
s 's and "H"s (yall know what those letters stand for. Whats sad is I looked him up on youtube and he was rapping about "take a toast"??? It was a scene straight out of....well......you get the point.....drinking and money. Is that all life is about now a days. I also read where his father had committed suicide when he was like 5. How hard is this on his mother and other sibilings to see this happen. Shame shame shame on the people who did this, and shame on everyone who gloryfies this "hip hop" culture as the only means to getting money.

Another sad thing is that his pops killed himself at 25 and now son is dead at 21. He even rapped about his own imminent death "He addressed his father’s death and his own mortality in one of his songs, “Rainy Nights”: “Papa died at 25 so he must have been great, they say the good die young, I guess I’m on my way.” So to say rapping had nothing to do with this, I beg to differ. Power of life and death are in the tongue and I am sticking with that!

Last edited by ApostolicFlightAttendant; 05-20-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 04:22 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
This had nothing to do with rap culture, 2 people had a confrontation and the other was a complete idiot who shot him (who happen to be a rapper) in the head in broad daylight and tried to make a get away to the airport. This is no different than the typical evening news in which some punk gets mad after a scuffle and shoots the other person, just this time the other person happened to be a rap artist.
Nice try. While there are certainly plenty of crimes that have nothing to do with rap culture, you aren't going to persuade me this one had nothing to do with attitudes that surround thug rap.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,638,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Keen observations!

This north vs. south cultural difference has been studied and documented... it is known as the southern "culture of honor". It's not just a product of black-southern culture, because it's also a part of white-southern culture.

When I read the following excerpt, in a book by Malcolm Gladwell most recent book "Outliers", I realized the conflict-resolution differences between my husband, a black man from the south, and myself, a white woman from the north, were often more so north/south differences - as opposed to black/white differences.

[From Malcom Gladwell's book "Outliers" : this section is from Chapter 6 and follows : REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Due to potentially legal copyright issues, please DO NOT copy/paste articles from books, magazines, or web articles. Post a link instead to the article. Thank you.
Moderator Removed: Do not discuss moderator actions in the room (see terms of service agreement). Thank you!

+++
To Everyone:

To read a discussion of what is called the "Culture of Honor," a social and behavioral pattern specific to, among other places, the American South....
follow this link: gladwell dot com - harlan kentucky

Okay then.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-22-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,003 times
Lawyer For Man Who Shot Dolla Claims Self-Defense - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: