Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,128 times

Advertisements

If this isn't enough reason to be fired, I don't know what is. They say she's been "removed from the classroom." What does that mean? She's still being paid her salary to do nothing? I'm sorry, but it appears to me that the Teachers' Union is so powerful that it takes an Act of Congress to get teachers like this fired!

I'm sorry, I'm a little testy about the way the school system has treated these parents. Outrageous!!!

Deadline Today for Discipline in Alleged Abuse Case - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=130355&catid=40#one - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,128 times
I'm even more angry after reading the 27 page findings of the judge. Atlanta schools have completely and totally failed this family. They repeatedly tried to cover up the fact that they were not providing the services the child was promised and tried to pass the buck.

I give major kudos to these parents for being persistent and documenting their every step. Major kudos for taking the step to record IEP meetings and, ultimately, to put the microphone in the child's shirt.

Sometimes you have to make a complete nuisance of yourself and make waves in order to get the services your child needs. It's a shame that Atlanta schools put roadblock after roadblock in front of these parents in their quest to get the services to which their child is entitled by virtue of the IDEA Act. And then their child is physically and emotionally abused in the process.

The whole thing turns my stomach. Shame on Atlanta Public schools and the Metro North Program!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,366 times
Good Lord. That's always the worst in dealing with a child who is non-verbal. It's why many pre-schools and day care centers have cameras so parents can monitor what's going on with their children. I've never understood why it's not the same with older children who are also non-verbal. Though, of course, cameras won't resolve all issues (witness the bus driver texting while driving ON CAMERA), but hopefully it would have a chilling effect on some of this abuse.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
I can understand how INITIALLY a school supervisor will take a "let's investigate all angles of this" approach. There have been instances in the past where parents who abused their kids tried to pin it on school employees to throw attention away. Just recently, a teacher and her assistant were accused of abusing two special needs kids, and on the news yesterday more than a dozen mothers of kids in those teachers class have come forward saying that they believe the accusations are false and either the child in question and/or their parent are lying.

Ok, now THAT being said, this is more of a clear-cut case because the parents had the smarts to use the microphone when they had suspicions. In THIS case, there is no question things were going on in that classroom.

After having heard it played on TV, the grammar alone indicates the teacher is low-brow and a piece of work. She shouldn't even be teaching from her grammar alone - and should spend some time in jail for mental abuse if anything, if nothing else is conclusive. It will be an uphill battle though, as the County is showing a trend in defending weird behavior by staff, so I'm sure this will be a news feature for some time to come.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 AM

293 posts, read 1,106,341 times
As an educator, all I can say is WOW!! I was reading the story in AWE. You've got to be kidding. Georgia teachers do not have unions so the fact that this teacher was "removed from the classroom" is absurd. And the sad part is, if these teachers signed contracts for next year, even if they are "fired" the system is obligated to pay their salary for the remainder of this contract year AND through next year. That's probably why they were "removed" from the classroom so they could do something else since they will be on the payroll for that length of time.

I think the PSC should get involved some kind of way to REVOKE their certification. Ignorance, ignorance, ignorance.

Now, even though I teach in public school and I don't have any kids yet, I see why parents pay money for private school. Unbelievable.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can understand how INITIALLY a school supervisor will take a "let's investigate all angles of this" approach. There have been instances in the past where parents who abused their kids tried to pin it on school employees to throw attention away. Just recently, a teacher and her assistant were accused of abusing two special needs kids, and on the news yesterday more than a dozen mothers of kids in those teachers class have come forward saying that they believe the accusations are false and either the child in question and/or their parent are lying.

Ok, now THAT being said, this is more of a clear-cut case because the parents had the smarts to use the microphone when they had suspicions. In THIS case, there is no question things were going on in that classroom.

After having heard it played on TV, the grammar alone indicates the teacher is low-brow and a piece of work. She shouldn't even be teaching from her grammar alone - and should spend some time in jail for mental abuse if anything, if nothing else is conclusive. It will be an uphill battle though, as the County is showing a trend in defending weird behavior by staff, so I'm sure this will be a news feature for some time to come.
(see highlighted above)

Good statement.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 AM

826 posts, read 3,119,841 times
This makes me so sad. Why on earth would someone be hitting a special needs child who cannot communicate? Why on earth would she take such a job? Why can't we bring back public beatings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: