Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 PM

26 posts, read 104,415 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

Please tell me some pros and cons about both Alpharetta and Dacula.
Or feel free to expound on your area (Alpharetta or Dacula).
Crime, traffic, lot types and sizes, quiet vs. noisy, schools, areas to
avoid, housing costs, anything is welcome.

Many thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,393 times
I will give it a try having lived in both areas.

Alpharetta - A bit overpriced and overdeveloped for a suburban edge city IMHO.
Too many cops and speed traps and anti-business hassles. Bad drivers, bad roads and lack of adequate infrastructure (remnants of fulton county maintenance) but improving. Lots of transplants from out of state end up in alpharetta. They fall in love with it's beauty and strip malls. Good if you like golf. Slightly better for commuting to atlanta.

Dacula - More affordable, lots of unsold housing in all price ranges from modest ranches to large european style chateaus(possibly a negative if you need to sell) good schools and lots of new schools on the way too, gwinnett county roads, water, more affordable taxes and utilities. Close to the mall of georgia. Lots of unspoiled natural splendor. Close proximity to I-85 means easy to get out of town. Dacula is not an incorporated city like alpharetta although county resources like police and fire have been ok.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM

60 posts, read 163,117 times
I would agree with Shagbark. I also have lived in both and currently am on my second house in Dacula. We love the mixture of amenities with a country flair thrown in. It is still very convenient to major roads, but secluded at the same time. We live by 2 awesome parks and the kids (6 and 11) love the schools here. On a related topic, one of our houses is for sale (if you decide Dacula is the way to go). Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Don't know much about Alpharetta but we relocated to Dacula last fall and love it here...

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 104,415 times
Thank you to you all for the helpful comments. We are looking for land (green and trees) and safety (low crime). We are more focused on "location, location, location" than anything else, as we realize we can remodel a structure, but not the location. It's hard for us as we don't know the area well. So I am very thankful for your comments. Feel free to keep them coming!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM

235 posts, read 838,409 times
Most of the Alpharetta area (North Fulton) has a better "reputation" of having well performing public schools, but the ones in Dacula are pretty good, too. This comment is aimed at test score averages and not other factors which come into play. You can check out the different schools by location at Great Schools - GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for more details. If you are interested in private schools, you have a better selection in the Alpharetta area in general than you would Dacula, however, Gwinnett does have some decent private schools, too.

Visiting both areas will provide even more details for you than what has been given here, but the info above is pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: