Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,210 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone --

Strongly thinking of making a move from NY to the Atlanta area. I have 3 little girls 5,7 and 9 so the most important this for me would be SCHOOLS!
They go to a GREAT school now. I was wondering if anyone could chime in with some suggestions on some Great areas around Atlanta.

My next question is about, E. Cobb, Buckhead, stearling and Marietta I've heard good things...........what do you think?

Thanks for all the help!
Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
There are plenty of great schools in the Atlanta metro area- despite what many say abyout no place being able to rival the schools in the Northeast. Two questions need to be answered before anyone can point you in the right direction though:

- Where will you be working, and how long (time, not distance) of a commute are you willing to endure?

- How much are you looking to spend on a house?

Without those two answers, people will be directing you all over the place.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Do you have a job and where would it be? What is your price range and housing type desired?

Wages are generally lower here than the NYC area so remember to adjust your expecations accordingly. Unemployment is high (very) right now. Finding a job is difficult.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Work for both of us is not a problem, My Girls Mom will be working from home, and I will be working on the Tugboats in NY harbor and flying back and fourth.

As far as price range...... I'm gonna say we are both going to rent to start, so anywhere from 800 to 1500 per month.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 53,146 times
well rent here is really not that good, and the people act like they hate new yorkers so if i was you i would try another state!!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean97 View Post
well rent here is really not that good, and the people act like they hate new yorkers so if i was you i would try another state!!
Um, rent here is a cakewalk compared to NY, and NY comprises the second highest number of transplants to GA (after FL). I doubt they would be coming here in such numbers if they were feeling this alleged contempt from the natives.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDPJR View Post
Hey Everyone --

Strongly thinking of making a move from NY to the Atlanta area. I have 3 little girls 5,7 and 9 so the most important this for me would be SCHOOLS!
They go to a GREAT school now. I was wondering if anyone could chime in with some suggestions on some Great areas around Atlanta.

My next question is about, E. Cobb, Buckhead, stearling and Marietta I've heard good things...........what do you think?

Thanks for all the help!
Bruce
Can't figure out where you're referring to by 'Stearling'. Never heard of it.
Do you want a more suburban lifestyle, or something more urban. You can find good school situation in either here IMO. E. Cobb is a good place to start; 'Marietta' covers a lot of ground, some good, some bad...you'd have to get a little more neighborhood-specific when considering rentals there. Buckhead rents are probably going to start at the top end of your range.

How close to the city center or the airport do you want to be? Is that a consideration since your wife does not (thankfully) have to endure a commute?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Can't figure out where you're referring to by 'Stearling'. Never heard of it.
Do you want a more suburban lifestyle, or something more urban. You can find good school situation in either here IMO. E. Cobb is a good place to start; 'Marietta' covers a lot of ground, some good, some bad...you'd have to get a little more neighborhood-specific when considering rentals there. Buckhead rents are probably going to start at the top end of your range.

How close to the city center or the airport do you want to be? Is that a consideration since your wife does not (thankfully) have to endure a commute?
I'm looking for a place in-between suburban and urban.......and I'd like to be within an 40 min to an hour of the Airport. I'd like to find a Townhome, or a Nice apartment complex with mabye a pool and gym... close to town.......

Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDPJR View Post
I'm looking for a place in-between suburban and urban.......and I'd like to be within an 40 min to an hour of the Airport. I'd like to find a Townhome, or a Nice apartment complex with mabye a pool and gym... close to town.......
That pretty much describes the city of Decatur (where I live).

www.decaturga.com

Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,830 times
from one Newyorker to another, ATL is nice house wise, but if you are accustom to NY you may have a problem in that area. The job market is not the same, and the good schools are not the same either, but you can get more house for your money here.

Question, if you plan on working in NY why live in GA that will be allot of traveling back and forth, and for what you will be getting here it may not be worth it.

I would seriously come down and inquire within before moving, ATL is not the easiest place to get accustom to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta