Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

593 posts, read 2,883,218 times

Advertisements

the hooch was clean enough to recreate in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 PM

132 posts, read 444,494 times
Atlanta would be a good place to live if it wasn't so laid back and a century behind in public education and government.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,171,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if ...

... it had a well developed public transit system
... it didn't have nightmarish traffic problems
... if it were in its own state so it wouldn't have to be governed by the rest of Georgia
... if it didn't have nightmarish development patterns that will led to problems down the road (e.g. water crisis)
... if it were more bikable
... if it had a greater selection of grocery chains inside the Perimeter (not a huge fan of Kroger or Publix --- ATL needs a Harris Teeter!)
... if it didn't have Georgia Power (I had terrible experiences with them)
... if it had more than one DMV location!
Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Fresh Market are all inside the Perimeter not to mention Dekalb Farmers Market and the "super" stores.

Harris Teeter didn't make it in Atlanta. Seemed like a glorified Kroger to me anyway.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if....

1) It had (early on) developed a "green belt" mentality and only allowed major construction within certain areas.

2) It worked more closely with it's suburban counterparts (and vice-verca).

3) It had a different Mayor, Police chief, and overall more progressive-thinking leadership.

4) It was in a more progressive State that didn't allow Sonny Perdue within the boarders.

5) It was closer to a large body of water, as in, right next to a lake the size of Lanier, or had a river that ran through the downtown area.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

608 posts, read 1,702,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Fresh Market are all inside the Perimeter not to mention Dekalb Farmers Market and the "super" stores.

Harris Teeter didn't make it in Atlanta. Seemed like a glorified Kroger to me anyway.
I'm not going to put down Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but those stores cater to a certain demographic. I'm not looking for "natural" or "organic" food (and I believe those terms are very misleading to begin with). I do like some of the stuff from Trader Joe's, but I couldn't do all my shopping there.

Not sure what you mean by "super stores". You mean Wal-Mart and Target? They really only sell groceries out in the deeper suburbs.

Harris Teeter is awesome! Inexpensive, good produce, and great store-brands! Can't say the same things about Kroger, unfortunately.

Though, my complaint is more that the market is monopolized by two companies inside the Perimeter. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. don't really compete with Kroger and Publix fully --- they are "specialty food stores".

Of course, this problem isn't really limited to Atlanta. It's a nationwide problem in large urban markets. Grocery stores have difficulty surviving in this environment for whatever reason. (Property prices are probably one of the major reasons).

Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,281,437 times
Atlanta Would Be the Perfect Place to Live, Only If....

1) There were much more friendlier women who would smile
2) Many of its citizens weren't so obsessed about money & status
3) The State & City had a great synergy & could work together
4) Many of the jobs were entry level, allowing for upward moblity like the olden days
5) It had a real party district(or the old Buckhead night district of the 90's returning)
6) People were more polite & respectful of each other's beliefs & opinions
7) It had an education system like Finland's
8) The natives would just realize that the far right lane on the interstate is the slow lane
9) Criminal activity wasn't the FIRST choice for some folks
10) It had an actual "China" town

I could on & on, but y'all got the message.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,613,796 times
Quote:
Atlanta would be the perfect place to live if ...

... it had a well developed public transit system
... it didn't have nightmarish traffic problems
... if it were in its own state so it wouldn't have to be governed by the rest of Georgia
... if it didn't have nightmarish development patterns that will led to problems down the road (e.g. water crisis)
... if it were more bikable
... if it had a greater selection of grocery chains inside the Perimeter (not a huge fan of Kroger or Publix --- ATL needs a Harris Teeter!)
... if it didn't have Georgia Power (I had terrible experiences with them)
... if it had more than one DMV location!
You took my idea. I agree and along with your thought I think we'd be the ish if the ATL metro switched places with that Hampton Roads area in VA. I think we'd keep our Southeast style but we wouldn't be a million miles away from other great cities in the US. Oh, like Legs1357 said, ATL would be better if it were in a grid and I'll add that the interstate highway should be not cut through the heart of the city.

Last edited by David Alleyne; 05-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: more ideas

Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
I'm not going to put down Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but those stores cater to a certain demographic. I'm not looking for "natural" or "organic" food (and I believe those terms are very misleading to begin with). I do like some of the stuff from Trader Joe's, but I couldn't do all my shopping there.

Not sure what you mean by "super stores". You mean Wal-Mart and Target? They really only sell groceries out in the deeper suburbs.

Harris Teeter is awesome! Inexpensive, good produce, and great store-brands! Can't say the same things about Kroger, unfortunately.

Though, my complaint is more that the market is monopolized by two companies inside the Perimeter. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. don't really compete with Kroger and Publix fully --- they are "specialty food stores".

Of course, this problem isn't really limited to Atlanta. It's a nationwide problem in large urban markets. Grocery stores have difficulty surviving in this environment for whatever reason. (Property prices are probably one of the major reasons).
There are 2 Wal-mart SuperCenters inside the city of Atlanta.One on Howell Mill in Midtown just off of interstate 75.(5minutes from Buckhead )the other off Gresham Rd and I-20 in East Atlanta.They both sell groceries.Oh yes we must not forget "ghetto"as crap,"Wayfield Foods".Harris Teeter was really nice but fairly overpriced for no reason.Publix seems to me to be just as nice.Of course the better the neighborhood,the better the store.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yami29 View Post
I need to know from all the other Atlantans out there. Complete the sentence with your thoughts. Here are mine:

Atlanta would be the perfect place to live, only if were actually located in the northeast!
I would far rather live in the midwest than the northeast.

I also admit I'm happy here, however. Atlanta is a very nice place to live once you learn how to navigate the waters here.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 AM

29 posts, read 107,614 times
Atlanta would be perfect if the ocean were less than a one hour drive away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta