Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:57 AM

35 posts, read 86,998 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am 22 years old and will be attending Georgia Tech this fall for my Master of Architecture. My girlfriend and I are looking for apartments now and will be making a trip in late June to hopefully sign a lease but I was hoping to get some info on the traffic there, mostly in I-75 and I-85. My first choice to live would be Walton on the Chattahoochee, google maps has it as about 10 miles or about a 15 minute drive on I-75 but I want to know if that is accurate. All the places to rent within Midtown or close is between $850-$1200 but Walton is cheap, just 10 miles from campus. Could anyone possibly tell me what the "real" drive time would possibly be? Thanks everyone!

can also email me at acoffma@bgsu.edu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
That's in Vinings which is in Cobb County. It has an Atlanta address because it's considered unincorporated NW Atlanta. Nice place to live, too. It's just far enough that you escape having to pay city taxes and slightly higher prices for basic necessities, but just close enough to enjoy the amenities of the city. Literally, you're just maybe 3 miles from that, LOL. (In city of Atlanta, sales tax is about 8.5%, in Cobb it's 6%, and the costs of things other than housing are a little less in Vinings than in Midtown). The commute isn't bad at all. You go a few exits down and you're at GT! You could even take back roads to get there if you don't like the freeway. I've been taking that commute for summer classes and my job (well, I drive down East-West Connector first, THEN I end up on Cumberland Blvd and get on the freeway), and that stretch of driving is very easy. Also, there is a MARTA bus route that runs by there (only MARTA bus in Cobb) and takes you right by the GT campus. You can get on route 12 and get off at the north end of campus, or get off at Midtown Station (the last stop) and hop on the Trolley which takes you through the center of campus. I take the MARTA bus sometimes and get off at the Trolley because I carpool with my mother sometimes who works in that area. So, you wouldn't even have to worry about driving if you didn't want to!

It's a prime location and you get the best of all worlds, so if it's in your price range, I say go for it! It's a great place to live.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 PM

wow thanks for the info, lots of help, glad to know taxes are lower also. is there any chance you could put a time on that commute? since most of my classes will be in the morning and stretch all day till way after 7-8pm i dont think bad traffic will be a big problem for me. im guessing you are referring to I-285 as the east-west connector? sorry for the stupid question but i come from farm town ohio hah. from google maps it seems the best drive for me is I-285 to I-75 then right there is GT.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
No problem! No, the East West connector is a stretch of road in Cobb that extends from West Cobb to Southeast Cobb. I just have to take East West Conn to get to Cumberland/Vinings to get on the freeway because I live in West Cobb near Barrett Pkwy. You wouldn't even have to worry about it in your commute (I rambled a bit in the last post).

If you're going to be on Akers Mill, you can get straight on 75. No need for 285 at all. At that time range, it would probably take 10-15 minutes. Maybe 20 if traffic got really bad. Again, it's just a stone's throw away from GT, so it won't take long at all!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 PM

ahhh ok my bad, as you can tell i have a lot of learning (roadwise) to do. im really glad to hear its only like a 10-15 minute drive. google maps had the 10 mile drive at about 10-15 minutes by my apartment lady told me i could plan on spending about 40 minutes on that drive which scared me away. i would love to live by or on the chattahoochee, fishing would definately take my mind off school. also do you know if that is a good neighborhood? i heard it went through a massive redevelopment i just dont want to deal with break-ins and stuff like that.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
I can't comment on the traffic issues, but be aware that there have been several recent shootings in the area of GA Tech. It's very sad. Check the Atlanta Journal and Constitution (AJC) newspaper website for articles. Just be aware if you are out at night (like parking lots, etc) near campus.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
I live in Vinings (right off Cobb Parkway near the Kroger) and your apartment complex is just on the other side of 75. Very easy drive down to Tech. Just take Akers Mill to Cumberland Blvd to 75 S. Then, you can get off either at Northside Dr. (Exit 252) or continue down and get off at the 16th Street exit (there is construction going on at the 75 S/Downtown Connector merge and on this offramp, but the two rightmost lanes on 75S at this point are exit only, so if you can get over to those lanes you're fine). I then take a left on Fowler, a right on 14th St., and then a left on State Street, which brings you right onto campus.

On normal days, it'll probably take you about 20 minutes, perhaps 25 if you go around 8-8:30 AM.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
If your just going to the campus and back you should be fine but if you venture outward toward the suburbs, you're going to hate traffic.
But I'm glad you chose Tech!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times

Oh noes, the taffic!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post

Oh noes, the taffic!
Is your "r" key stuck?Or is that a joke I did not get?Just asking.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta