Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 02:43 PM

125 posts, read 636,037 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am new to posting to City Data - but I have been lurking for quite some time doing research. I am a 25 year old female that recently (Feb 2009) moved to Atlanta from New York City. I am, however, originally from the South. This summer I plan to purchase my first home .

I currently live in NW Atlanta (seconds from Cumberland Mall and the Galleria) and work seconds off of the Roswell Road 285 exit. My current commute is about 15 minutes, I know that will probably not be the case when I purchase a home .

I know that details help when asking questions here, so here's my info!
~Looking for a house or townhouse that's less than 180k.
~Atleast 2 bedrooms... atleast 2 bathrooms.
~I don't have children, but I do have a 10 pound dog and I absolutely need to have a yard.. even if it's tiny I need my own little patch of grass! And it has to be something fenced, or something that I can fence.
~I enjoy the "city feel" of Cumberland/Vinings etc.. with the shopping plazas, etc. and I love being close to downtown Atlanta (10minutes). I do not want to give that up.
~I don't need granite and stainless steel.. but I don't want an old house/townhouse.. something newer would be great...maybe 1999 and later.

I was thinking about Cumberland, Vinings, Smyrna, and Marietta.. since they all have nice neighborhoods close to 285. Someone recommended Midtown b/c they know I enjoy the city feel, but I assume that area is out of my price range.

Am I on the right track... or am I being unrealistic?

Please Help!!!
~Thx~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 04:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Vinings is a great choice...you may also consider expanding your search to include the Chastain Park area (dog haven) or even Dunwoody. Just out of boredom I did a CL search and found this. I have absolutely no connection to this posting whatsoever but know the area well and this seems like a great deal for an amazing area.
good luck!
Immaculately Furnished Condo (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/reo/1179581322.html - broken link)

Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,061 times
I guess I will bless you with my first reply. To begin, Smyrna / Vinings is out of your price range. You can find a 3-4 bedroom home here in Marietta but you are going to have to forget about the city feel. You might luck up and find a foreclosed Townhome in Sandy Springs.. but you will be 1 of 100000 offers on that 1 property.

So here are your options... you either can buy a fairly new house in Douglasville, Mableton, Marietta, or Powder Springs...

Or you can spend 140k and below to live in a nice new highrise condo either in Atlantic Station or Cobb Co near Wild Wood.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warbuck$ View Post
I guess I will bless you with my first reply. To begin, Smyrna / Vinings is out of your price range. You can find a 3-4 bedroom home here in Marietta but you are going to have to forget about the city feel. You might luck up and find a foreclosed Townhome in Sandy Springs.. but you will be 1 of 100000 offers on that 1 property.
No, I actually think he can find an older house in Smyrna that fits his criteria for $180 or less. Even the southern part of Smyrna. Look at current listings.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM

125 posts, read 636,037 times
Thanks for the responses

Mableton, southern Smyrna, and Powder Springs are too far for me. As noted, I work right off of the Roswell Rd. exit (I-285)... which is why I was hoping to find something in the Cumberland area, Marietta, etc.

My realtor has actually pulled a few townhomes in Marietta... I'm checking out the neighborhoods this weekend.

Anyone know anything about the Austell Road/Hurt Road intersection area? I know there's an AutoZone there... how is that area? I'm familiar with Austell Road down at the EW Connector, but unfamiliar with the Hurt Road area.

Any input?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
Thanks for the responses

Mableton, southern Smyrna, and Powder Springs are too far for me. As noted, I work right off of the Roswell Rd. exit (I-285)... which is why I was hoping to find something in the Cumberland area, Marietta, etc.

My realtor has actually pulled a few townhomes in Marietta... I'm checking out the neighborhoods this weekend.

Anyone know anything about the Austell Road/Hurt Road intersection area? I know there's an AutoZone there... how is that area? I'm familiar with Austell Road down at the EW Connector, but unfamiliar with the Hurt Road area.

Any input?
I stay near that area ( right off Austell Rd to be exact ) Hurt Rd is right off the East West Conn. It's near the Silver Comet trail... you will be near alot of shopping spots and restaurants. The homes are older... anything new is going to run you 200K+. They do have a new townhome community right there that us starting @ 199k. They might be flexible....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta