Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,957 times

Advertisements

Wondering if it is realistic to purchase a home in cobb county on this budget. I prefer a single family home but will accept a condo or townhome. My budget is $140k or less. Are there any nice areas in Cobb County where I can this budget will get me in a nice area. I don't want to pay to live in the ghetto. No offense. I know $140k is low that is why I came to this board. I'm pretty much priced out of Smyrna now and Acworth and Kennesaw is too far. I know that leaves Powder Springs, Marietta, Austell and maybe some parts of Mableton that are not yet considered Vinings. Any advice. I like Cobb County. I currently live in Fulton and pay high property taxes which I don't want to get stuck with anymore. Dekalb, I don't know. So yeah, just leaves Cobb. Oh and I would need 3+ Bedrooms or more for resale value. I know I just made it harder.

Edited:

On second thought please feel free to add any other areas does not have to be cobb as long as I can get something nice in a nice area for under $140k. I realize maybe there are hidden gems I don't know about in other areas. I just haven't seen much under $140k that is nice. I've seen nice homes under $140k but in undesirable areas.

Last edited by atlcharm; 05-31-2009 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 04:57 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Absolutely.
In my area of north gwinnett, that will get you a new townhome, new or late model ranch (now during the crisis) or even two stories that are foreclosure or desperate sellers. I don't know about cobb but I saw ads for a builder in the acworth area for new homes in the $140's.
Generally the farther out you go the lower the prices.

The property taxes in gwinnett are what I would consider reasonable if not a bargain by national average standards but just FYI, the taxes will be going up quite a bit. Not just here but everywhere.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Absolutely.
In my area of north gwinnett, that will get you a new townhome, new or late model ranch (now during the crisis) or even two stories that are foreclosure or desperate sellers. I don't know about cobb but I saw ads for a builder in the acworth area for new homes in the $140's.
Generally the farther out you go the lower the prices.

The property taxes in gwinnett are what I would consider reasonable if not a bargain by national average standards but just FYI, the taxes will be going up quite a bit. Not just here but everywhere.
Thanks Shag how far are you from the city? I'm not too familar with gwinett because I don't go out that way. What cities are in Gwinett county?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:23 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
I am in unincorporated gwinnett in an area known as thompson's mill in between buford and dacula.
It's the only place in metro atlanta I would live but I don't have to commute to atlanta. I'm about 36 miles north of downtown. Wouldn't recommend living here with that commute.
They can't give the houses away though. Really nice houses that were listed for $240 two years ago and still not sold are going for $140 now. There are entire subdivisions of new unsold homes that have been foreclosed on. There is everything here from multi-million dollar estates to middle class subs to country cottage. One of the reasons I like it so much.

Minutes to the mall of georgia and I-85.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I am in unincorporated gwinnett in an area known as thompson's mill in between buford and dacula.
It's the only place in metro atlanta I would live but I don't have to commute to atlanta. I'm about 36 miles north of downtown. Wouldn't recommend living here with that commute.
They can't give the houses away though. Really nice houses that were listed for $240 two years ago and still not sold are going for $140 now. There are entire subdivisions of new unsold homes that have been foreclosed on. There is everything here from multi-million dollar estates to middle class subs to country cottage. One of the reasons I like it so much.

Minutes to the mall of georgia and I-85.
Wow! If I did not have that commute I would jump on it!!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Smyrna has plenty of condos close to 285 which, in this economy, you could purchase for under $140K and are safe - For example check out the two complexes on Spring Rd. - Country Park and Country Walk. Remember, in real estate the principle is location, location, location and the Smynings area is a fantastic location quickly accessible to most of Metro Atlanta and yet is 5 minutes from Vinings Village and Smyrna Market Village. Try to stay east of S. Cobb and south of Spring Rd. if you can.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
You can pick up a condo in Atlantic Station for a steal nowaday, check on that. In town, walk to shopping, everything at your fingertips. Of course a 3 br will be a tad bit higher.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the awesome recs everyone. By the way I found a website where you can search for condo/townhomes by price range in the Smyrna/Vinings area. Here it is: Smyrna Vinings Condos & Townhomes, Smyrna Condos & Townhomes, Vinings Condos & Townhomes | Smyrna Vinings Homes, Neighborhoods, Restaurants, Shopping, Events - SmyrnaVinings.com

If anyone knows of any other great sites let me know.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Try Georgia Multiple Listing Service (search by zip code) or Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values - Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post
Thanks for the awesome recs everyone. By the way I found a website where you can search for condo/townhomes by price range in the Smyrna/Vinings area. Here it is: Smyrna Vinings Condos & Townhomes, Smyrna Condos & Townhomes, Vinings Condos & Townhomes | Smyrna Vinings Homes, Neighborhoods, Restaurants, Shopping, Events - SmyrnaVinings.com

If anyone knows of any other great sites let me know.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post
Wondering if it is realistic to purchase a home in cobb county on this budget. I prefer a single family home but will accept a condo or townhome. My budget is $140k or less. Are there any nice areas in Cobb County where I can this budget will get me in a nice area. I don't want to pay to live in the ghetto. No offense. I know $140k is low that is why I came to this board. I'm pretty much priced out of Smyrna now and Acworth and Kennesaw is too far. I know that leaves Powder Springs, Marietta, Austell and maybe some parts of Mableton that are not yet considered Vinings.
Powder Springs has hit-and-miss areas these days, however, there are some town homes that are literally "tucked away" behind the town square, right next to the police department here called "Park Place Townhomes". They are higher-end units that when new, were in the $200,000 range if you got options (some even had elevators). However, due to lack of sales as the "bust" hit, I do know the prices have dropped considerably. It's literally in small downtown Powder Springs which is still a decent area, and you'd be able to walk to a few restaurants and shops (again, it's small), but within literally a few minutes drive you'd have the entire Hiram shopping area just West, plus all of the Powder Springs stuff within a 2 minute drive, as well as the Silver Comet Trail. I'm sure a realtor would be aware of any listings in that complex and if they've dropped to your price range or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta