Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

Help!
I am an elementary teacher from Michigan looking to relocate to Atlanta for a teaching position with a great school district. I am planning to make a trip to Atlanta on June 19 – 25 to explore the city and surrounding towns. Prior to the trip I would like some direction as to where and with whom I will be seeking employment with. I have no idea where to begin being that this is a pretty big move for me. I would like to speak with someone who is familiar with Atlanta and surrounding towns and their impression of the schools in the area too.
Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
First, what kind of teacher are you? (elementary, etc) special ed? math, science?

That will go along way in guiding you.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times
Gwinnett county is building loads of new schools.
I presume they will need some teachers to work in them.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
I don't understand why people move to an entirely new city without something drawing them there...like school or work.

I mean, I grew up in Lutcher, LA. I left there to go to college in Lafayette, LA. Then left THERE, with my husband, to go to Baton Rouge to get a grad degree. Then we moved to Athens, GA so the hubby could get a PhD. Then we moved to Lawrenceville, GA because I was pulling primary parent duty during the PhD phase and Larryville was closer to my work. Then we moved to the city, Atlanta, because that's where we both worked and we hated commuting.

And here we are.

I cannot imagine, at this point or any other in my life, just saying, "Hey, you know what? Think I'll head out to Hollywood and make my fortune as an actress."

That's what it sounds like to me when people come here and say they want to move here and THEN find a job. WTF?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Gwinnett (and every other system) is increasing class size. Many of the large systems have teachers that HAVE contracts that currently don't have assignments for next year.

Teaching jobs are scarce unless you are middle or high school math or science or special ed.

I understand that things are bad in Michigan, really bad. Used to be, that many new teachers from MI got jobs here. That will not be the case this year.

If you happen to find a job, you won't be able to be picky. It is not like you will have multiple offers, unless you are in the above certifications.

Make sure your MI certification is transferable and renewable. GA has cracked down on non-renewable certs at Title 1 schools (which is who is most likely to have the openings for next year.)

Some systems aren't even planning on expanding the subsitute pool for the fall. This means it will be impossible to even get in the door.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Default Live there first and see if YOU wouldn't have moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I don't understand why people move to an entirely new city without something drawing them there...like school or work.

I mean, I grew up in Lutcher, LA. I left there to go to college in Lafayette, LA. Then left THERE, with my husband, to go to Baton Rouge to get a grad degree. Then we moved to Athens, GA so the hubby could get a PhD. Then we moved to Lawrenceville, GA because I was pulling primary parent duty during the PhD phase and Larryville was closer to my work. Then we moved to the city, Atlanta, because that's where we both worked and we hated commuting.

And here we are.

I cannot imagine, at this point or any other in my life, just saying, "Hey, you know what? Think I'll head out to Hollywood and make my fortune as an actress."

That's what it sounds like to me when people come here and say they want to move here and THEN find a job. WTF?

You make some valid points but, until you lived in Michigan or anywhere else in the Rust Belt, you might want to reconsider those words. Having grown up in Northern Ohio way back when I can tell you entirely without reservation, I know what she means.

In my case, I got out of the service in 1981, moved to Houston shortly thereafter with 2 duffel bags of clothes, a beat up 74 Monte Carlo with a peeling roof and a hole in the floor behind the drivers seat (use to put a rug over it to keep the fumes out) and never looked back.

Although I didn't know what I wanted when I was 18 or 22 but, I know what I didn't want. I didn't want to grow old and die in Akron Ohio either!

Perhaps you had some subsidies some don't have (read: did your parents carry you for awhile?).

Maybe a D for planning but, an A for effort. I can't tell you how many people I've met over the last 30 years that would NEVER leave home because that's all they ever knew. My Father used to say, "they can't ever cut the damn umbilical cord".

Mid-Westerners, much like Southerners (I was born in Lake Charles, lived in Orange Texas as a kid and have lived in the SE for over 26 years) are similar in that regard. They tend to stick close to home. No criticism, just an observation.

Some folks don't always have the choice. Can you imagine living in a depressed area like parts of Michigan and Ohio in today's economy???

Before anyone tosses the Yankee diatribe out, remember, Southerners FLOCKED NORTH in the 30', 40's and beyond for the same reason people up North are coming down - JOBS.

They used to call Akron the capital of West Virginia. All the coal miners left for the "better jobs" in the tire factories....ever met a tire worker? NOT Pretty. Same with Steel. The rural roads leaving North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia were called "hillbilly highways" and for a reason. This is nothing new.

People go for jobs first and foremost. I did during the recession of 1981. Had to go to Houston for ANY decent job. I understand her plight, odds are probably better coming here, than staying there?

Besides, her health and mental attitude will probably improve relative to the amount of sunny days she will now get to enjoy. Good for her.

May the winds of fortune always blow your way with the education you have both earned but, always remember, while tomorrow is promised to no one, neither are jobs. Including those with PHd's

God forbid that happens but, should it happen, may you find the stamina and courage to move someplace where they will be looking for your talent or at least, to a place where you will have a better chance of leveraging it?

Best wishes

Old 06-09-2009, 04:15 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Default Posted correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

And here we are.

You make some valid points but, until you lived in Michigan or anywhere else in the Rust Belt, you might want to reconsider those words. Having grown up in Northern Ohio way back when I can tell you entirely without reservation, I know what she means.

In my case, I got out of the service in 1981, moved to Houston shortly thereafter with 2 duffel bags of clothes, a beat up 74 Monte Carlo with a peeling roof and a hole in the floor behind the drivers seat (use to put a rug over it to keep the fumes out) and never looked back.

Although I didn't know what I wanted when I was 18 or 22 but, I know what I didn't want. I didn't want to grow old and die in Akron Ohio either!

Perhaps you had some subsidies some don't have (read: did your parents carry you for awhile?).

Maybe a D for planning but, an A for effort. I can't tell you how many people I've met over the last 30 years that would NEVER leave home because that's all they ever knew. My Father used to say, "they can't ever cut the damn umbilical cord".

Mid-Westerners, much like Southerners (I was born in Lake Charles, lived in Orange Texas as a kid and have lived in the SE for over 26 years) are similar in that regard. They tend to stick close to home. No criticism, just an observation.

Some folks don't always have the choice. Can you imagine living in a depressed area like parts of Michigan and Ohio in today's economy???

Before anyone tosses the Yankee diatribe out, remember, Southerners FLOCKED NORTH in the 30', 40's and beyond for the same reason people up North are coming down - JOBS.

They used to call Akron the capital of West Virginia. All the coal miners left for the "better jobs" in the tire factories....ever met a tire worker? NOT Pretty. Same with Steel. The rural roads leaving North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia were called "hillbilly highways" and for a reason. This is nothing new.

People go for jobs first and foremost. I did during the recession of 1981. Had to go to Houston for ANY decent job. I understand her plight, odds are probably better coming here, than staying there?

Besides, her health and mental attitude will probably improve relative to the amount of sunny days she will now get to enjoy. Good for her.

May the winds of fortune always blow your way with the education you have both earned but, always remember, while tomorrow is promised to no one, neither are jobs. Including those with PHd's

God forbid that happens but, should it happen, may you find the stamina and courage to move someplace where they will be looking for your talent or at least, to a place where you will have a better chance of leveraging it?

Best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: