Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 AM

44 posts, read 172,923 times

Advertisements

First of all, hello everybody! This is my first post on this message board! Great site! Great to be here!

I apologize if this has been covered already--I've tried searching the boards and found quite a lot of information about Stone Mountain in general, but nothing specific about the Rockborough neighborhood (or the whole "triangle" between Rockbridge Rd., Sheppard Rd., and N. Stone Mountain Lithonia Rd., for that matter).

From what I've read in other posts, Stone Mountain has nice areas and "not so nice areas," as somebody put it. Indeed, we visited a few houses south of Rockbridge Rd. (especially south of Redan Rd.) and west of S. Hairston Rd., and I must say: I would never want to live there. When you see that some of the houses for sale have been obviously broken into, and some guys are just hanging around in small groups with nothing to do in the middle of the day on a weekday, it’s not a good sign.

Do you have any thoughts/comments on the Rockborough subdivision, though? My wife and I are thinking about buying a house there and, I must be honest, after reading some of the posts here, I'm not so sure that's such a great idea anymore. I'm just afraid that, even though that particular neighborhood seems nice, the whole area is just going downhill.

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
Where is Rockborough subdivision? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that specific subdivision, is it in the area you're talking about? The areas around Rockbridge Rd and Hairston and Redan and Memorial and Ponce are the heart of what is going down hill. Basically anything south of 78 and west of Stone Mountain/Lithonia.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Where is Rockborough subdivision? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that specific subdivision, is it in the area you're talking about? The areas around Rockbridge Rd and Hairston and Redan and Memorial and Ponce are the heart of what is going down hill. Basically anything south of 78 and west of Stone Mountain/Lithonia.
Thanks for your reply, xxman777!

Rockborough subdivision is around the little web of Rockborough streets (Rd., Ct., Ter., Tr.). It's in the "triangle" between Rockbridge Rd., Sheppard Rd., and N. Stone Mountain Lithonia Rd.

I guess that would qualify (even though only just) as "south of 78 and west of Stone Mountain/Lithonia."

Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM

I'd don't think that area is really bad yet so you would probably be safe there for the time being, but I don't think that area is moving in the right direction so I don't know how long that will last.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I don't know where Rockborough is, but Pine Lake is off of Rockbridge (between Hairston and Ray's Road) and is a pretty hot area right now. It's not full of those ridiculous McMansions, so that'll turn away a lot of people right off the bat.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Rockborough would be just north of there. Do you think Pine Lake is starting to take off? I have some friends who did some work in the community out there and some other friends who live out there and they both don't really have positive things to say about the community. You spend a lot more time there then I do though so you would be a better judge.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know where Rockborough is, but Pine Lake is off of Rockbridge (between Hairston and Ray's Road) and is a pretty hot area right now.
Quote:
Rockborough would be just north of there.
Thank you guys for your input!

Rockborough is actually east of Pine Lake. Going east on Rockbridge Rd., passed Hairston and Sheppards, but before you get to Stone Mountain/Lithonia Rd. (north off of Rockbridge).

We just found out today that one of the two houses that we really liked there was sold. Still considering that area, though. There's another house we like there.

I hope that this area will be pulled up by the development of Pine Lake, rather than down by the decline of southern Stone Mountain. You think it's likely?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:04 PM

196 posts, read 732,462 times
About a year ago I was looking in this same area and elected to not live there because of the direction the community seemed to be going. I bought in Gwinnett County, Grayson area, about 10 miles away. This area is really growing and property values are increasing. So far I have made the right decision!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
You spend a lot more time there then I do though so you would be a better judge.
Actually, I had never been there until Tuesday night. I know several people who have expressed interest in living there, including a firend who is a realtor. On Tuesday I ate at Kingfisher Cafe, which is on Rockbridge on the edge of Pine Lake. Seated next to us was a middle aged guy (not a first time homebuyer) who was getting ready to buy a house there and was very excited. Apparently a lot of gay couples have bought homes there, and since they don't have kids to pay for they were able to spend some money renovating their homes.

That area is still pretty scuzzy, with very little shopping aside from creepy convenience stores and whatever is on Memorial Drive. The same thing could be said for Cabbagetown, but it has become a pretty hot area.

In 5-10 years I predict people will be saying "I wish I bought a house here when they were selling for peanuts"...just like people are now saying about Cabbagetown, Candler Park, Grant Park, etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Thank you all for your input!

We're still considering that area, but now, since the house that we really liked seems to have sold, we're not so sure about that anymore.

Another weird thing about that neighborhood is that there are about 15 houses for sale there at the moment. As somebody pointed out in another thread, this may be a really bad sign.

We will definitely check out Pine Lake, though. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta