Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 11,715 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old college senior from Louisville interning down here for the summer. The company I work for came to my school to recruit and said they would pay for well and plus gas, housing etc..if i was hired so I decided to take a chance and come down. I work in cartersville and stay in Acworth bout 25 min away from down town ATL..I don't know anyone down here and wondering the best way to meet ppl. I am by no means shy, and played football for my first three years of college, so always have been use to not trying very hard to make friends or meet ppl..I want my stay down here to fun and memorable and if I like it enough prolly come here for grad school..wats the best way to meet ppl n make friends?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Try Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
info@entertaincorp.com

atl2nite@atl2nite.com

jcarter@sol-fusion.com

atlantahapps@bellsouth.net

atlanta@raapnetwork.com

earwax@earwaxrecords.com

info@oldschoolonline.com

vip@vipatlanta.com

Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Craigs list adult section, maybe?
Atlanta is a tough place to make friends. Most young people live inside "the perimeter" (I-285 beltway) so unless you can get down there daily or meet people at your workplace you will be renting a lot of movies while life passes you by. The suburbs are almost entirely families and even the young families don't ever want to do anything- their kids being the ball & chain that keeps them from doing so.
Meetup is good but not instantaneous and most of the events and singles stuff going on is I.T.P.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 PM

288 posts, read 959,167 times
Actually I think there are plenty of young adult singles OTP, just depends on the area. Love how people still throw the beltway label in there lol. Look at meetup.com for people that share your same interests, they have cool gatherings all over the place. Too often everyone tries to push ITP like its some kind of magic place to meet people, most of the time its people who arent even from here saying it. Yes its got a good singles crowd, also depending on what kinda crowd you hang with.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
There is a 20 something meetup group which I believe is based north of town and does a lot of events around Roswell, Sandy Springs and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Actually I think there are plenty of young adult singles OTP, just depends on the area. Love how people still throw the beltway label in there lol. Look at meetup.com for people that share your same interests, they have cool gatherings all over the place. Too often everyone tries to push ITP like its some kind of magic place to meet people, most of the time its people who arent even from here saying it. Yes its got a good singles crowd, also depending on what kinda crowd you hang with.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,715 times
Wat does OTP AND I.T.P stand for. Sorry i'm not all familair with internet lingo.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM

53 posts, read 104,752 times
OTP stand for outside the Perimeter (285 beltway) and ITP inside the perimeter

Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
The suburbs are almost entirely families and even the young families don't ever want to do anything- their kids being the ball & chain that keeps them from doing so.
You've been watching too many TV sitcoms or something. Life doesn't end at 25 years old. We "old people" actually do go out. We have fun too.

We do "things" with our kids as well, and here's the real secret, we can afford to do it...unlike broke college kids and 20 somethings.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
We do "things" with our kids as well, and here's the real secret, we can afford to do it...unlike broke college kids and 20 somethings.
Sorry, that's not been my finding.
I hope I didn't offend you but I am single but the friends I've had that have started families suddenly found themselves without any time or money to do anything. Then they of course get divorced a couple years later then they're really broke!

Atlanta is very spread out and the vast majority of the young (note YOUNG) single people live inside the perimeter beltway in buckhead, vinings, midtown, atlantic station, that area near emory and so on and so forth. Once they get hitched, they move out to the burbs and that's the end of their life as they knew it.

Yes there's meetup.com and meetup groups and you may have good success with that. My own experience with that has been you meetup for an event once in a while and you never see the same people twice.

It's easier to meet people (again in my findings) when you work with them, sit with them at lunch everyday or live next door to them. That's why people put up living inside the perimeter and that's why so many people are so adamant about leaving for the burbs. (When dating, you come across these people)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta