Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Im looking to find any information on the Atl and surrounding areas. Im interested in going to grad school at GA tech and would like to buy a house somewhere in the area. Somewhere nice (of course) and still just a short distance from the campus. If anyone has any information that you think I would find useful could you please let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDnj View Post
Hello,
Im looking to find any information on the Atl and surrounding areas. Im interested in going to grad school at GA tech and would like to buy a house somewhere in the area. Somewhere nice (of course) and still just a short distance from the campus. If anyone has any information that you think I would find useful could you please let me know.

Thanks!

there aren't too many single family houses that are close (under 20 minutes) from Tech's campus that are what I would call affordable and in nice areas.

if single or married without kids, definitely look into the condo market. there is an abundance of these (enough that demand can't meet supply, so a buyer's market no question). there are tons in midtown, downtown, buckhead, atlantic station, paces ferry road, you name it... 1 bedrooms start from probably the 120s-130s in some of the older ones. from there it goes up depending on amenities, construction year, square footage, and of course... location.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:47 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDnj View Post
Hello,

Thanks!
If you're going to Tech you might consider living on the westside perimeter in Mableton/Smyrna. I live there and work at Coke, which is right across the street from your campus and it takes me 20-30 minutes to get there. There is a decent and growing going out scene in Smyrna/Vinings, and Mableton is one of the "next hotspot" communities on the rise. Given it's close proximity to everything, it should just continue to go up in value there, and you can still find some fairly cheap housing.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 PM

25 posts, read 128,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
If you're going to Tech you might consider living on the westside perimeter in Mableton/Smyrna. I live there and work at Coke, which is right across the street from your campus and it takes me 20-30 minutes to get there. There is a decent and growing going out scene in Smyrna/Vinings, and Mableton is one of the "next hotspot" communities on the rise. Given it's close proximity to everything, it should just continue to go up in value there, and you can still find some fairly cheap housing.
I am not familiar with the area, but I am interested in finding out more about Mableton since it was referred to as one of the "next hotspot(s)".

What can you tell me?

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:19 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking for a Change View Post
I am not familiar with the area, but I am interested in finding out more about Mableton since it was referred to as one of the "next hotspot(s)".

What can you tell me?

Thanks.
The area I am referring to is probably a few miles from the official center of the area (it's not an official city) of Mableton. Look on a map and find Bankhead Hwy/Veterans Memorial Hwy and see where it crosses over the Chattahoochee River on the westside of Atlanta - there are a lot of developments springing up around there (some very expensive, some not so much). This area is poised to explode in growth, especially now that the main "turn off" is scheduled to be demolished (that being Bankhead Courts housing development on the Atlanta side of the river). Additionally, if you look a little further north on that map from this area, you see Atlanta Rd., which is currently blowing up with development - the biggest being West Village, which will have quite a few restuarants, pubs, and bars. Then if you take Atlanta Rd. north of I-285, you hit Smyrna Market Village, which is restaurants and bars also. The reason I pump up Mableton is that it is still semi-affordable, and many of these things will be arriving there shortly - for example, a large mixed use (ie, shops, restaurants, and homes) dev't is being built at the intersection of Veterans/Bankhead and Oakdale Rd. (where it turns into Discovery Blvd on a map). Due to this area being a natural corridor into town, I would expect solid appreciation over the next 5-10 years.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:25 PM

25 posts, read 128,698 times
That is great to know. Thanks for the response.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,750 times
Mableton area especially if you try to reach from GaTech is a very bad location. If you drive on Bankhead Hwy you will see what I mean. You can not stop to buy a coke on your way home. The roads change names thanks to their bad reputation but reality remains the same. With so many good options for relocators, I dont think Mableton area will appreciate in my lifetime ( I am 27). I never feel safe even while driving during the day.

I go to Gatech and know the area well, do yourself a favor and look for something in Midtown/Buckhead area.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_atlantan View Post
Mableton area especially if you try to reach from GaTech is a very bad location. If you drive on Bankhead Hwy you will see what I mean. You can not stop to buy a coke on your way home. The roads change names thanks to their bad reputation but reality remains the same. With so many good options for relocators, I dont think Mableton area will appreciate in my lifetime ( I am 27). I never feel safe even while driving during the day.

I go to Gatech and know the area well, do yourself a favor and look for something in Midtown/Buckhead area.
I'm also affiliated with Gatech currently. You'll have to look maybe up I-75 in E. Cobb, or perhaps off of Howell Mill Road or the NW Atlanta area for your needs. But watch out for the expenses in those areas. If you drive on Bankhead, you will not want to do it again, believe all of us. I would advise you to come see the area first. Avoid W. Atlanta and S. Atlanta, btw.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Default "A rose by any other name..."

Also keep in mind that Bankhead Highway, at least the section near and crossing I-285 (passing right through the still there and still notorious Bankhead Courts housing project just OTP) has been renamed "Hollowell Parkway" or Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy. It is rough.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Bankhead is actually Veterans now up in Mableton, just cross the river and get on the Cobb side, seriously!

I use to live right near the publix off of Pebblebrook Rd, after I graduated from Tech. My buddy took my room(another buddy's house) and he drives in everyday to work on his PhD.

Great area, up and coming, but expensive new neighborhoods.

Although, if I had kids, there's no way in Hell I'd send them to public schools in that area. Some of the worst in Cobb County.

just check out greatschool . net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta