Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times

Advertisements

I am partial to Fulton County Schools. I happen to think Fulton County Schools are more innovative and wealthy than most other metro systems (with the exception of Cobb). You will find Gwinnett schools to generally be much larger than Fultons. Gwinnett has very good schools as well, but the system is larger (nearly twice as large as Fulton) and the schools are generally gigantic. Both systems are building constantly, but growth is slower in Fulton so they are keeping up better.

I have many friends from Ohio and I know that outside of the big city school systems mostly you have fairly small school systems and thus fairly small schools.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 06-05-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
Default NCR Relocation and Spouse

I am also from NCR as well and maybe considering a move to Duluth. I have grown up in Dayton, my kids are in catholic schools and our family is here, so moving is an option but very unnerving.

I have read the posts, thanks to everyone to provide really good information. I have two main concerns.

First, traffic.From what the posts are saying, there doesn't seem a way around this issue unless you live close to NCR there. I like many want more of a rurual setting as well, good schools, and low crime, but I also don't want it to take me 2 hours to get home when I only live 15 miles away.

Also, my spouse finding a job is another issue. He is a mechanical engineer and mgr at an automotive supplier, so you can be sure that his job isn't stable. He would love to get out of the industry (obviously), what are the job prospects there?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraliz View Post
Thank you all for your insights. At this point I think we are considering Suwanee, Buford, Johns Creek, Dacula and Flowery Branch. This calls for a road trip!!

Would anyone recommend one over another. What about their schools?
Out of that list, Johns Creek (north Fulton county schools - here the schools are usually on a county rather than city level, except Buford which has its own system) probably has the best schools. The Suwanee zip code straddles Forsyth and Gwinnett counties - you can't go wrong with either side as far as schools. Buford is more diverse (although in any school here you will generally find more diversity than in suburban Ohio, as it is much more integrated here) and has the advantage of being a smaller school system. Flowery Branch, being the Hall County school system, is probably the weakest of the bunch. The Dacula area has good schools, but that area is not as convenient to Duluth - it may look close on the map, but in terms of traffic it is not close. Your best commute from your list would be the Gwinnett side of Suwanee, like the Morningview area (stay on the west side of 85), which would provide a very easy commute down Satellite to NCR. Even the more expensive areas of Suwanee in Gwinnett (the west side of Peachtree Industrial) wouldn't be a bad commute. The disadvantage of living on the other side of the Chattahoochee (e.g. Johns Creek) and working in Duluth is that there is a bottleneck getting over the river, but that is a very nice area.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM

24 posts, read 54,344 times
So now I'm thinking it's between Suwanee and Buford. From what I've read about the size of the Gwinnett county school system I'm wondering if maybe Buford has better schools. Also, which city would have more activities for kids? We have 3 under the age of 6.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
So now I'm thinking it's between Suwanee and Buford. From what I've read about the size of the Gwinnett county school system I'm wondering if maybe Buford has better schools. Also, which city would have more activities for kids? We have 3 under the age of 6.
There is no comparison. The lowest ranked school in Duluth(Chesney, rank 550) is ranked higher than Buford Academy (rank 688). Riverside and Parsons in Suwanee are among the top 50 in the state.

Georgia State Elementary Schools - GA School Rankings

Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Buford City Schools are top-notch...and one of Atlanta's and the northeast Metro Area's best-kept secrets.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Just to help you out a little, click on this link: 100 best places to live and launch - 3. Buford, Ga. (3) - FORTUNE Small Business

I think you have found your new home!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 23,112 times
We have lived in Old Peachtree Plantation subdivision of Duluth for about 12 years. This is in the Sugarloaf area and is a great location with wonderful neighbors. Anyone moving from Dayton who will work at NCR will find this area very convenient. NCR is less than a 10 minute commute.

Schools are Mason Elementary, Hull Middle and Peachtree Ridge High School. All 3 schools are among the few public elementary, middle, and high schools in Georgia to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Ratings (Mason 8 out of 10, Hull 9 out of 10, and Peachtree Ridge 8 out of 10.

This area is convenient to many resources, such as grocery stores, hair & nail salons, restaurants, the Gwinnett Civic Center and Arena, churches, three malls, health clubs, and is only 2 miles from I-85. Catholic Church of Saint Monica, Sugarloaf Methodist, and Old Peachtree Presbyterian are minutes away.

Last edited by ldh2244; 06-14-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldh2244 View Post
We have lived in Old Peachtree Plantation subdivision of Duluth for about 12 years. This is in the Sugarloaf area and is a great location with wonderful neighbors. Anyone moving from Dayton who will work at NCR will find this area very convenient. NCR is less than a 10 minute commute.

Schools are Mason Elementary, Hull Middle and Peachtree Ridge High School. All 3 schools are among the few public elementary, middle, and high schools in Georgia to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Ratings (Mason 8 out of 10, Hull 9 out of 10, and Peachtree Ridge 8 out of 10.

This area is convenient to many resources, such as grocery stores, hair & nail salons, restaurants, the Gwinnett Civic Center and Arena, churches, three malls, health clubs, and is only 2 miles from I-85. Catholic Church of Saint Monica, Sugarloaf Methodist, and Old Peachtree Presbyterian are minutes away.

Yes, the Sugarloaf Area of Duluth is very nice...and a great place to live.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 23,112 times
Any commute on I85 to Duluth (from Braselton, Winder, Hoschton, Hamilton Mill) can be a nightmare. As of last week water restrictions have been lifted.

The area in the Peachtree Ridge school cluster is very good. Most subdivisions would be about a 10-15 commute to NCR. There are several price ranges for homes and includes the upscale gated community, Sugarloaf Country Club.

Although Buford City Schools are quite good, it is difficult to find homes in the district. Not everyone who lives in Buford is in the Buford City School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta