Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 23,114 times

Advertisements

The Peachtree Ridge Cluster schools are very good. This serves part of Duluth, part of Suwanee and part of Lawrenceville. Take your road trip along Old Peachtree Rd west exit 109 of I85. There are many nice neighborhoods and this is probably no more than 15 minutes to NCR. Dacula and Johns Creek would be a bad commute to NCR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern pat View Post
Hello,

Looks like we may be caught in the NCR move from Dayton to the Duluth area. Trying to find out some info on the area but it isn't easy. Even the chamber of commerce charges for relocation info which probably glosses over any real issues of concern.

Currently in a neighborhood of around $150K homes surrounded by $300K up to $1.5 million with lovely, green rural countyside within 1-2 miles from home, so we are in a great school district and extremely safe and nice neighborhood with a great buffer of the more expensive homes.

Any thoughts on what areas around Duluth may be comparable? Commuting up to 45 minutes or so is not an issue as we want our homelife to be as rat-race free as possible, so Duluth central may not fit the bill as far as housing or setting. A safe, rural area is more to our liking with maybe even homes with wells and septic as water concerns us with the Atlanta area.

Also concerned about crime stats (which I can look up if anyone suggests certain areas) and especially concerned about the Atlanta metro area's water shortage issue. We have plenty of water up here in very, green Dayton and the water thing really concerns us. Is it any better this year than in the past?

And, is it really much cooler or less humid if we go Northeast toward the mountains than in the general Duluth area?

Any input is appreciated. THANKS!
We have lived in Old Peachtree Plantation subdivision of Duluth for about 12 years. This is in the Sugarloaf area and is a great location with wonderful neighbors. Anyone moving from Dayton who will work at NCR will find this area very convenient. NCR is less than a 10 minute commute.

Schools are Mason Elementary, Hull Middle and Peachtree Ridge High School. All 3 schools are among the few public elementary, middle, and high schools in Georgia to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Ratings (Mason 8 out of 10, Hull 9 out of 10, and Peachtree Ridge 8 out of 10.

This area is convenient to many resources, such as grocery stores, hair & nail salons, restaurants, the Gwinnett Civic Center and Arena, churches, three malls, health clubs, and is only 2 miles from I-85. Catholic Church of Saint Monica, Sugarloaf Methodist, and Old Peachtree Presbyterian are minutes away.

Any commute on I85 to Duluth (from Braselton, Winder, Hoschton, Hamilton Mill) can be a nightmare. As of last week water restrictions have been lifted.

The area in the Peachtree Ridge school cluster is very good. Most subdivisions would be about a 10-15 commute to NCR.

Here’s the link to its cluster map.
http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/D33DC83246BB7492852572ED0041461D/$file/PeachtreeRidgeHS_650x450.jpg
If you’re in the area, you might wish to ride along Old Peachtree Rd both to the right and left of Sugarloaf Pwy. There are many nice neighborhoods. You might try googling some of these neighborhoods to see if there are homes for sale in your price range.
Duluth: Old Peachtree Plantation, Parson’s Plantation, Stonebriar, Sugarloaf Country Club, Stonehaven at Sugarloaf, Woodbridge
Suwanee: Old Savannah Square, Maple Ridge, Belmont, Berkshire, Magnolia Walk

Although Buford City Schools are quite good, it is difficult to find homes in the district. Not everyone who lives in Buford is in the Buford City School District.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
We live in Dacula (Hamilton Mill area) and my husband commutes to Buckhead via I-85 each day. Takes him 45-50 minutes to get to work. We love Dacula and are in Mill Creek school cluster. Just moved here last fall. Schools are top notch and we are 4 miles from Mall of GA. Dacula Kids Village 1/2 mile from our house. Very kid/family friendly here.

I would not move to Buford. Suwanee is good (know someone that lives there) but traffic is horrible to get anywhere in town.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM

24 posts, read 54,359 times
Thank you all for your input!
We are definitely going to check out Dacula. I've been looking at houses in the Mill Creek School cluster. Happy to hear that you like it!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern pat View Post
Hello,

Looks like we may be caught in the NCR move from Dayton to the Duluth area. Trying to find out some info on the area but it isn't easy. Even the chamber of commerce charges for relocation info which probably glosses over any real issues of concern.

Currently in a neighborhood of around $150K homes surrounded by $300K up to $1.5 million with lovely, green rural countyside within 1-2 miles from home, so we are in a great school district and extremely safe and nice neighborhood with a great buffer of the more expensive homes.

Any thoughts on what areas around Duluth may be comparable? Commuting up to 45 minutes or so is not an issue as we want our homelife to be as rat-race free as possible, so Duluth central may not fit the bill as far as housing or setting. A safe, rural area is more to our liking with maybe even homes with wells and septic as water concerns us with the Atlanta area.

Also concerned about crime stats (which I can look up if anyone suggests certain areas) and especially concerned about the Atlanta metro area's water shortage issue. We have plenty of water up here in very, green Dayton and the water thing really concerns us. Is it any better this year than in the past?

And, is it really much cooler or less humid if we go Northeast toward the mountains than in the general Duluth area?

Any input is appreciated. THANKS!
Although we have a Duluth 30097 address, we are in a neighborhood with well established trees, and often see deer grazing in the back yard. Our neighborhood is Old Peachtree Plantation, which is in the Sugarloaf area. Currently there are 4 homes for sale here. There are other established neighborhoods in this area along Old Peachtree Rd that have beautiful wooded lots, as well.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 PM

RE: PEACHTREE RIDGE CLUSTER SCHOOLS DULUTH/SUWANEE
I've spoken with a few friends with children attending either Parsons or Mason Elem. They said both schools are very sought after. Some prefer Mason over Parsons, and visa versa. The children who reside in Sugarloaf Country Club attend Mason. Both are in the P'tree Ridge Cluster and feed into Hull Middle School.

As an FYI, Parsons is overcrowded and will soon be divided into 2 separate elementary schools. The new school is currently under construction. Therefore, many of the children who currently attend Parsons will no longer be in the Parsons district when the new Peachtree Ridge Elem. school opens 8/10. Mason will be unaffected by the division of Parsons.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM

188 posts, read 594,641 times
I highly recommend Johns Creek, particularly the eastern side, which is closer to Duluth. The schools in Johns Creek are phenomenal. I send two to Shakerag Elementary, which is one of the top in the state, and I couldn't be happier. It's also a very family friendly area.

Also, though the roads are busy, you will not be sitting in traffic in morning or evening rush hour to Duluth -- it's a reverse commute. From my house to anywhere in Duluth during the morning rush hour, or from Duluth to Johns Creek in evening rush hour never takes me more than 15- 20 minutes.

If you want to keep your commute the shortest, look for houses in Northview School District, east of Medlock Bridge Road.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
Hey we're moving to Duluth with NCR too. But it's like within the next few weeks. So we're looking at 3-6 months in an apartment or condo before we buy. Any suggestions? I have a 3rd grader, so school district is important. Is 30097 better than 30096?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthanshetty View Post
Hey we're moving to Duluth with NCR too. But it's like within the next few weeks. So we're looking at 3-6 months in an apartment or condo before we buy. Any suggestions? I have a 3rd grader, so school district is important. Is 30097 better than 30096?
If you are looking for apartments, I would look at the complexes on McGinnis Ferry Rd. in Suwanee. They are in the Peachtree Ridge cluster. I would stay away from most of the apartments in Duluth on the Gwinnett side at least.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthanshetty View Post
One word for you, YES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta