Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times

Advertisements

Once again, all the sudden, millions of dollars are missing from the city and now the Mayor shouts "money shortage" again. Sound familier? The same mayor that has left the city chronically short of cops and firefighters, let the homeless take over Woodruff Park and 5 Points and encouraged the AHA to demolish the homes of elderly low income people and replace them with luxury condos. And yet the fools think she is a great Mayor??
Then there is the tornado. Happened a MONTH ago and the streets are still closed and NOTHING has been fixed! If it were a well run city (Chicago, NY), Boulevard Street would have been opened within days. Here it has been a month and it is still closed forcing all the traffic in Cabbagetown to use the Krog St tunnel to go north.
While she might be an "improvement" to Campbell, she isn't much of one. With all the new high rises and luxury townhouses and condos going up all over the city, Atlanta should be awash in new tax money. Who is stealing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Once again, all the sudden, millions of dollars are missing from the city and now the Mayor shouts "money shortage" again. Sound familier? The same mayor that has left the city chronically short of cops and firefighters, let the homeless take over Woodruff Park and 5 Points and encouraged the AHA to demolish the homes of elderly low income people and replace them with luxury condos. And yet the fools think she is a great Mayor??
Then there is the tornado. Happened a MONTH ago and the streets are still closed and NOTHING has been fixed! If it were a well run city (Chicago, NY), Boulevard Street would have been opened within days. Here it has been a month and it is still closed forcing all the traffic in Cabbagetown to use the Krog St tunnel to go north.
While she might be an "improvement" to Campbell, she isn't much of one. With all the new high rises and luxury townhouses and condos going up all over the city, Atlanta should be awash in new tax money. Who is stealing it?
I'm right there with ya, KevK...time for the people that have a vote in the city to exercise it...Mayor Franklin, while an improvement over her predecesor, is still very much a part of the machine, and that is what we have to vote out...we need their dirty hands out of the airport and countless other places.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM

91 posts, read 344,356 times
I hate to be blunt... But in my opinion, I really don't think this machine is going anywhere, at least in the next election. I honestly think a majority of the black people in Atlanta would rather have the same machine run the city than a non-black mayor. I could be wrong, but I dont think that a new type of mayor would win until this city is truly diverse. Hopefully the next election will prove me wrong.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
I hate to be blunt... But in my opinion, I really don't think this machine is going anywhere, at least in the next election. I honestly think a majority of the black people in Atlanta would rather have the same machine run the city than a non-black mayor. I could be wrong, but I dont think that a new type of mayor would win until this city is truly diverse. Hopefully the next election will prove me wrong.

MMANN, you may be right, but I feel that sooner or later demographics will out and the whole thing will topple...maybe not this election, though...I'm not sensing any political will out of the opposition.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
I do believe that this means that everyone who lives in the city limits needs to get out of the house and vote then, especially if Clark Howard does decide to run. Get your whips and make your neighbors turn off their TVs and computers long enough to vote, too. Make Sue Ellen aware of the fact that voting is more important than little Susie's ballet class. Tell Mitch that Bobby's soccer practice can wait one time because Dad needs to vote. Etc. Certain segments of Atlanta's population (let's say it - yuppies) have always had a history of being incredibly lazy when it comes to getting out to vote. It needs to happen this time. Be as obnoxious as you wish to make people you know how important it is to register and to vote in the next election.

The competency of the Mayor of Atlanta has an effect on the entire region (whether suburban leaders wish to admit this or not). A good, solid, leader would only strengthen the whole region (hard to imagine I know, but it's POSSIBLE).

Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I do believe that this means that everyone who lives in the city limits needs to get out of the house and vote then, especially if Clark Howard does decide to run. Get your whips and make your neighbors turn off their TVs and computers long enough to vote, too. Make Sue Ellen aware of the fact that voting is more important than little Susie's ballet class. Tell Mitch that Bobby's soccer practice can wait one time because Dad needs to vote. Etc. Certain segments of Atlanta's population (let's say it - yuppies) have always had a history of being incredibly lazy when it comes to getting out to vote. It needs to happen this time. Be as obnoxious as you wish to make people you know how important it is to register and to vote in the next election.

The competency of the Mayor of Atlanta has an effect on the entire region (whether suburban leaders wish to admit this or not). A good, solid, leader would only strengthen the whole region (hard to imagine I know, but it's POSSIBLE).
GO GREG GO
GO GO GO
SEE GREG RUN
RUN GREG RUN
RUN RUN RUN

Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
GO GREG GO
GO GO GO
SEE GREG RUN
RUN GREG RUN
RUN RUN RUN
There is NO friggin' way I'd do that job (much to the relief of some on here, I'm sure).

Whoever does get it is gonna need wading boots 5 1/2 feet tall for the first two years just to tread through all the um... dookey... that has accumulated in City Hall and other City offices.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There is NO friggin' way I'd do that job (much to the relief of some on here, I'm sure).

Whoever does get it is gonna need wading boots 5 1/2 feet tall for the first two years just to tread through all the um... dookey... that has accumulated in City Hall and other City offices.
Yeah, even if Clark takes that on, it will be 50 different shades of ugly in the process.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,322,469 times
As long as talk-radio and reactionary folk out in the burbs keep slinging crazy, racially-tinged insults towards Franklin or any other members of the Maynard Mafia, then they will keep being re-elected. I for one am upset at the buget shortfall. I always thought Franklin to be a competent mayor and a vast improvement over Campbell, but this budget shortfall is inexcusable. We'll see how the citizenry feels when the elections come.

A few clarifications though...
  • Yuppies vote: urban white folks, yuppies, buppies, etc are very active in the city--especially through community organizing. Remember that elections are all about coalitions. Maynard Jackson won the hearts of many yuppies when he led the charge to keep the proposed Stone Mountain Freeway and the proposed I-485 from being built and ripping apart several urban neighborhoods--including Virginia-Highland and Inman Park.
  • Progress is being made in regards to post-tornado cleanup: I workout at a gym in Downtown Atlanta near the intersection of Peachtree and AYI and I see nothing but scaffolding and work crews laboring intensely to fix the damaged buildings and structures. The streets have been open for quite some time as well. It's not easy repairing unique or historic structures. You think that the Westin can just make a phone call and get hundreds of crazy, unique, and curved windows delivered as if they were pizzas? It takes a little time.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yeah, even if Clark takes that on, it will be 50 different shades of ugly in the process.
Knowing Clark, he might prefer to be hired as a consultant. There are a number of people 'around' who could offer some suggestions.

I think we need Rudy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta