Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 AM

120 posts, read 302,218 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm new here and I am seriously thinking about moving to Atlanta. I found these jokes online and would like to know how close to reality these are. To me, I think they are funny and could apply to just about anywhere. But since there is usually a bit of truth in jokes, I thought I'd post these and get everyone's thoughts. Thanks so much, and I hope to be visiting your beautiful city soon. (Well, actually the suburbs, but that's another thread.)

1. Atlanta is comprised entirely of one way streets. The only way to get out of Downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

2. All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree..." and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House..."

3. Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Battle or Peachtree Corners.

4. Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola. That’s all we drink here, so don’t ask for any other soft drink... unless it’s made by Coca Cola.

5. Atlantan's only know their way to work and their way home.

6. Gate One at the Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse.

7. It’s impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect so that out-of-towners don’t feel lost....they’re just on a "scenic drive."

8. The 8 a.m. rush hour is from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. The 5:00 p.m. rush hour is from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Friday’s rush hour starts Thursday morning and lasts through 2:00 a.m. Saturday.

9. Reversible lanes are not understood by anybody... especially those of us who live here.

10. "Sir" and "Ma’am" are used by the person speaking to you if there’s a remote possibility that you’re at least 30 minutes older than they are.

11. "Sugar" is a more common form of address than "Miss". So is "Honey". "Honey" is always used by Waffle House waitresses.

12. Ponce de Leon Avenue can only be pronounced by a native, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their head to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pont duh LEE-on")

13. The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight savings time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over.

14. If you’re standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you’re expected to get on and go somewhere.

15. Atlanta is pronounced "LAN-uh".

16. Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life, and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta’s version of Old Faithful erupts.

17. Construction crews aren’t doing their job properly unless they close down all lanes except one during rush hour.

18. Atlanta’s traffic is the friendliest around. The commuters spend hours mingling with each other twice a day. In fact, Atlanta’s traffic is rated number 1 in the country. You will often see people parked beside the road and engaged in lively discussions.

19. Atlantans are very proud of our race track, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence its name.

20. Georgia 400 is the southern equivalent of the AutoBahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized-SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM

22 posts, read 49,975 times
1. Atlanta is comprised entirely of one way streets. The only way to get out of Downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

False. However, DOWNTOWN Atlanta has tons of one way streets. Whew. That's about the only area that is really confusing.

2. All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree..." and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House..."

False. That is just stupid.

3. Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Battle or Peachtree Corners.

Peachtree Street is the main street in downtown Atlanta. There are aLOT of Peachtree's so you need to make sure which one you're talking about when you get directions and an address.

4. Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola. That’s all we drink here, so don’t ask for any other soft drink... unless it’s made by Coca Cola.

*sigh* The Museum of Coke is pretty awesome though. I recommend it!! Good fun! But yeah - we drink everything down here, mostly sweet tea.

False. People who only WORK in Atlanta (not live) only know their way to work and home.

Damn near. Whew!! They have a little train to take you to all the concourses. DON'T. EVER. TRY. TO. WALK. IT. It is terrible.

7. It’s impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect so that out-of-towners don’t feel lost....they’re just on a "scenic drive."

False. This also, is just stupid.

8. The 8 a.m. rush hour is from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. The 5:00 p.m. rush hour is from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Friday’s rush hour starts Thursday morning and lasts through 2:00 a.m. Saturday.

There are several rush hours, this is true. From about 6:30 - 9:30 am, then the typical lunchtime rush hour, then from 3:30 - 6:30 is the evening rush hour. On Fridays - it can last until about 7ish.. however... this is mainly in downtown and the surrounding areas of 285 and 75 - especially since they've been doing the downtown road work.

9. Reversible lanes are not understood by anybody... especially those of us who live here.

Yes they are. That's why they have little signs with X's and O's.

10. "Sir" and "Ma’am" are used by the person speaking to you if there’s a remote possibility that you’re at least 30 minutes older than they are.

Just a sign of respect, that is all.

11. "Sugar" is a more common form of address than "Miss". So is "Honey". "Honey" is always used by Waffle House waitresses.

Not always true. This form of address, granted, is typically used by waitresses (lol)

12. Ponce de Leon Avenue can only be pronounced by a native, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their head to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pont duh LEE-on")

Ponce de LEE-on is how it's typically pronounced.

13. The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight savings time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over.

OMG THIS one...THIS one is SO TRUE.

14. If you’re standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you’re expected to get on and go somewhere.

What??

Sure, by the local 2 year olds.

16. Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life, and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta’s version of Old Faithful erupts.

Pretty much, yeah.

17. Construction crews aren’t doing their job properly unless they close down all lanes except one during rush hour.

I agree with this one.

18. Atlanta’s traffic is the friendliest around. The commuters spend hours mingling with each other twice a day. In fact, Atlanta’s traffic is rated number 1 in the country. You will often see people parked beside the road and engaged in lively discussions.

I have never seen anyone parked beside the road having discussions. Fights, yes, discussions... no.

19. Atlantans are very proud of our race track, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence its name.

I have never actually heard this one yet.

20. Georgia 400 is the southern equivalent of the AutoBahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized-SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.

I agree with this. 400 sucks.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
My comments in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
Hello. I'm new here and I am seriously thinking about moving to Atlanta. I found these jokes online and would like to know how close to reality these are. To me, I think they are funny and could apply to just about anywhere. But since there is usually a bit of truth in jokes, I thought I'd post these and get everyone's thoughts. Thanks so much, and I hope to be visiting your beautiful city soon. (Well, actually the suburbs, but that's another thread.)

1. Atlanta is comprised entirely of one way streets. The only way to get out of Downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina. There's a few one-ways, but it's not that big of a deal.
2. All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree..." and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House..." It's been known to happen, but not as much as this makes it sound....

4. Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola. That’s all we drink here, so don’t ask for any other soft drink... unless it’s made by Coca Cola. Most places that serve Pepsi will ask you "Pepsi OK?" if you ask for a Coke, so it's definitely an issue for some people. I really don't care one way or the other.

5. Atlantan's only know their way to work and their way home. No- my wife knows how to get to plenty of stores as well- I have the receipts to prove it!

6. Gate One at the Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse. I believe it's actually 31.2

8. The 8 a.m. rush hour is from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. The 5:00 p.m. rush hour is from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Friday’s rush hour starts Thursday morning and lasts through 2:00 a.m. Saturday. Sounds about right, but that's also the case in every other major city I've ever been to.

12. Ponce de Leon Avenue can only be pronounced by a native, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their head to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pont duh LEE-on") I was just in San Juan, PR, which also has a "Ponce de Leon" in the middle of town. They actually know how to pronouce it correctly there.
13. The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight savings time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over. Yup- again, just like every other major city.

14. If you’re standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you’re expected to get on and go somewhere. Dunno- I don't stand on the corner, and wouldn't get on a bus even if I was.

15. Atlanta is pronounced "LAN-uh". Never heard anyone say it that way- sorry.

17. Construction crews aren’t doing their job properly unless they close down all lanes except one during rush hour. I've never seen construction occur during rush hour, other than the major projects like the 14th street bridge, which have long-term closures and are actually run pretty smoothly.

18. Atlanta’s traffic is the friendliest around. The commuters spend hours mingling with each other twice a day. In fact, Atlanta’s traffic is rated number 1 in the country. You will often see people parked beside the road and engaged in lively discussions. Yup, except for the #1 part, and again, no different than most other major cities.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
...and you're from NYC; OMG!
Pa-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeas e!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM

120 posts, read 302,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
...and you're from NYC; OMG!
Pa-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeas e!
Does my profile say NYC? I'll have to change that.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 40,964 times

It's a little confusing downtown but you get used to it if you're down there enough.

There are a few main roads with Peachtree in the name and Atlanta is the headquarters of Waffle House, other than that... um no.

... no

... no, but natives drink sweet tea like water which is kind of disturbing.

Maybe some of them are just lazy?

It's the world's busiest airport I believe...

I don't know about senic drive but it's not perfect blocks everywhere downtown.

Morning rush hour, maybe starts around 7:00 am, but the 5:00 pm rush hour starts around 4:30pm and goes until around 7:00pm and it sucks. Yeah Fridays can be pretty bad.

I've never heard this, but they do have some weird traffic things

A southern thing?

Another southern thing? I don't eat at waffle house.

Yeah, this is Georgia and they say LEE-on. I don't think Spanish and a southern accent work out very well together.

Yeah lots of bad drivers, but also ... lots of drivers.

I've never been on a bus in Atlanta... or at a bus stop. Neither has anyone I know.

By some people, maybe. Probably that southern accent again.

There's always going to be construction going on somewhere and road reparis somewhere. Especially because it's Fulton county which is a really poorly managed county.

Everyone loves construction... what can I say.

lol

?

It's a toll road that goes from the center of Atlanta north...

Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 AM

217 posts, read 408,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
Well, there are several downtown, but, other than Courtland/Juniper, Spring Street and West Peachtree, not too many high-volume streets I can think of.

Quote:
*sigh* I see this oh-so-hilarious nugget is still floating around. Anyone who would give you directions without telling you whether you're going down Peachtree Road/Street, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Center Ave., Peachtree Hills Ave. or Peachtree Corners Circle (which is giving pretty stiff competition to "Perimeter Center" for most nonsensical name) doesn't need to be telling anyone how to get anywhere.

Quote:
Yeah. It's just like a rainbow. If you try to find either end of it, it just disappears.

Quote:
It's also the home of UPS, so we all refuse to use the U.S. Postal Service too. And everyone wears Spanx every day. Even the men.

Quote:
5. Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home.
Okay, I can kinda see where this came from. I've met a lot of people who live in the suburbs who know very little about how to get to places in the city. I used to work at Alston & Bird (W. Peachtree and 14th) and I knew people there who couldn't tell you how to get to the Amtrak station or where City Hall East is. They zipped into town to go to work, then zipped back out to where they live, but they knew where everything was out in their area. Conversely, since I almost never drive, I couldn't tell you where a thing is outside the city limits really, unless you count a little bit of Decatur and the airport.

Quote:
I did once do the "Oh, how bad can it be?" and try to walk from a gate back to the concourse. Oh, brother.

Quote:
There is a serious lack of a grid in some places, but if you're old enough to drive, you can figure it out.

Quote:
Where are there reversible lanes? Seriously, I don't remember ever seeing any.

Quote:
Only if you're in a store or someone's trying to hustle you.

Quote:
I tend not to hang out in places where anyone would address you that way. What is it with this Waffle House thing, anyway?

Quote:
I think I've only heard someone call it anything other than just "Ponce" twice. The rest of the syllables generally are a non-issue because no one uses them.

Quote:
This was obviously written by someone completely unfamiliar with public transit. Buses don't just stop because someone's standing on a corner. If the bus stopped it's because you're standing at a BUS STOP, so yeah, the driver expects that you want to get on the bus.

Quote:

By people who are drunk.

Quote:
Someone should at least get their weak joke together. "Road Atlanta" is a racetrack in Braselton, about 45 miles away.

Quote:
I was really surprised, when I first moved to Atlanta from Memphis, just how fast you can get away with driving out there. Kinda fun, but kinda scary if you don't drive much. Just stay to the right if you don't know *exactly* where you're going and where your exit is.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Quote:
Where are there reversible lanes? Seriously, I don't remember ever seeing any.

Stone Mountain Freeway but they are getting rid of them...

Quote:
19. Atlantans are very proud of our race track, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence its name. Someone should at least get their weak joke together. "Road Atlanta" is a racetrack in Braselton, about 45 miles away.
That is the joke! LOL. All the highways in ATL are like Road Atlanta...100mph+

Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 AM

217 posts, read 408,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
That is the joke! LOL. All the highways in ATL are like Road Atlanta...100mph+
Oh, okay. Duh.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Roswell Road also has a reversible lane. it terrifies me, because the road winds so much you can't see if somebody is coming around the bend. I worry about someone used to driving in that lane, and not paying attention when it changes direction.

I think I read in the AJC today that they will be installing them on 75 in the near future too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta