Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I will be moving to ATL in a month and half from Chicago. Both of us will be working in Downtown area. We are in the process of finalizing a location where we can rent an apartment and possibly look towards buying a detached home eventually. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We would like taking the Marta to work and a 30-54 minutes one way commute in public transport is something we don't mind.
what is more important is a very peaceful and safe neighbourhood with lots of green yet conveniently located near to marta, groceries, restaurants & other conveiences. Ideally we like a very family oriented residential neighbourhood.

We drove around sandy springs, dun woody, alpharetta etc. once. Alpharetta is pretty far for our commute. Sandy springs, dunwoody seems ok. We like to rent for some time and start looking to buy one house gradually without rushing into it. We sitll have not sold our current townhome in chicago.

your views are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 50,033 times
The Edgewood area is really nice.

However, Roswell Road, while busy, is near everything, and has a Whole Food's (you mentioned green). Sandy Springs is great, as is Dunwoody (but pretty expensive - but worth it, trust me).

Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 PM

156 posts, read 433,591 times
400 is a nightmare. You don't want that for a commute. Also public transportation is a lot different here than in Chicago.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic2ATL View Post
Hi all, my wife and I will be moving to ATL in a month and half from Chicago. Both of us will be working in Downtown area. We are in the process of finalizing a location where we can rent an apartment and possibly look towards buying a detached home eventually. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We would like taking the Marta to work and a 30-54 minutes one way commute in public transport is something we don't mind.
what is more important is a very peaceful and safe neighbourhood with lots of green yet conveniently located near to marta, groceries, restaurants & other conveiences. Ideally we like a very family oriented residential neighbourhood.

We drove around sandy springs, dun woody, alpharetta etc. once. Alpharetta is pretty far for our commute. Sandy springs, dunwoody seems ok. We like to rent for some time and start looking to buy one house gradually without rushing into it. We sitll have not sold our current townhome in chicago.

your views are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Downtown Decatur is nice.Also Avondale Estates

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
please please please!!! move to alpharetta or sandy springs or dunwoody.... I LOOOVVVEE laughing at all you people stuck in traffic while I pass you on my reverse commute everymorning

SERIOUSLY, what the heck do you mean by "family oriented" area? What the hell kinda kids you trying to raise?

YOU made the choice to move to a large city, you could get suburban life ANYWHERE, but YOU chose to move to Atlanta, so you need to be open to acceptance of alternate cultures other than "family oriented" environments.

You can join the rat race if you like, but I think you are HILIARIOUS!! I LOOOOVVEEE watching you people sit in traffic for hours while It takes me only 20 minutes to get to work.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
please please please!!! move to alpharetta or sandy springs or dunwoody.... I LOOOVVVEE laughing at all you people stuck in traffic while I pass you on my reverse commute everymorning

SERIOUSLY, what the heck do you mean by "family oriented" area? What the hell kinda kids you trying to raise?

YOU made the choice to move to a large city, you could get suburban life ANYWHERE, but YOU chose to move to Atlanta, so you need to be open to acceptance of alternate cultures other than "family oriented" environments.

You can join the rat race if you like, but I think you are HILIARIOUS!! I LOOOOVVEEE watching you people sit in traffic for hours while It takes me only 20 minutes to get to work.
Stay classy...

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
I think you would enjoy Inman Park and Virginia Highlands thoroughly. Castleberry Hill is a nice historic area going through rapid gentrification (though, I wouldn't call it family-oriented and the crime is high compared to other intown neighborhoods). You should stay in Atlanta for a couple of days and see what you think. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Inman Park would be my vote (I am bias since I live in the neighborhood) It is also 2 miles to downtown and you can easily take MARTA downtown.

Here is information on the neighborhood:

www.inmanpark.org

www.inmanparkvillage.com

Home of Mary Lin Elementary Atlanta, GA - Home of Mary Lin Elementary Atlanta, GA is an excellent elementary school and serves this neighborhood.

N. Highland Steel | Perennial Properties is a newer apartment complex that you can literally walk to restaurants and shops.

The City of Decatur is also an excellent choice. www.decturga.com

Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,057 times
Thank you guys for your kind recommendations. Upon further research, Virginia-Highlands, Candler Park, and downtown Decatur are some other areas I think I would like apart from Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. If you have more thoughts please let me know.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
They had a big festival this weekend in Virginia-Highlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta