Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
We had some new landscaping put in at our subdivision and I am having to water it because nobody else will. Even though there's a sprinkle once in a while, its not enough because it dries right out in the sun and the wind or runs off the clay soil.

So I stand by my statement that this is not the easiest place for an avid gardener due to the lack of consistent rain and watering restrictions.

???
Now, I will agree that gardening in the south, especially Georgia is almost entirely different than anywhere else in the country. But to say something like that is really kind of odd. My grandmother was what you might call an "avid gardener." She was one of those old southern ladies that wear big hats and gardened. She had close to a seven acre garden that she cultivated for over 40 years. This included, shade gardens, vegetable gardens, cutting gardens, a rose garden, and several large lawns. In fact, the first garden club in the country was founded here in the State of Georgia.

I agree gardening here is different than where ever you may have come from. My mother was born and raise in upstate New York, so she can relate. However, if you learn to adapt to your environment any climate can be home to an avid gardener. Especially one with a subtropical climate with high humidity and rich (and hard) clay. I personally have no problems gardening here; it thrives. It's all based an how you adapt, not that environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 AM

360 posts, read 1,011,381 times
Except for the winters, I'd pick Virginia over Georgia. But the honest truth is there isn't a huge difference between the two states. I think someone from NYC would find more similarities than differences. Economically, Virginia is doing better right now, and that should be a consideration.

Also, both states are rather large, and you'll find a great variety just within the two states.

But if someone just plopped $5 million on a table and said I could live here or Virginia, I'd probably pack up and head toward Charlottesville myself! (If you do pick Georgia and have the freedom to choose a place, you might want to check into Athens, the Charlottesville of Georgia, or Savannah. Savannah is a unique city.)

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
I cannot think of a single reason to pick VA over GA unless you work in DC or need to be close to WVA (mountains and ski in the winter). There are many things wrong with the legislature of that state that makes it compete with california but on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Then again, north VA isn't really virginia either, but thats the area that controls it all, and its not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta