Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM

59 posts, read 228,100 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to buy a home and have been pre-approved for a mortgage through our bank. My question is: should I call a mortgage broker and see if I can get a better deal? Has anyone had an experience with one and is it worth it dealing with a broker? It looks like our bank is giving us a pretty good deal and our rep is awesome.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtotheATL View Post
My wife and I are about to buy a home and have been pre-approved for a mortgage through our bank. My question is: should I call a mortgage broker and see if I can get a better deal? Has anyone had an experience with one and is it worth it dealing with a broker? It looks like our bank is giving us a pretty good deal and our rep is awesome.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
If the rate is already that good there's minimal benefit these days I'd say. It really can't hurt you to inquire what their rates are though. I'd just avoid asking for a full pre-approval since it can affect your credit score. I had a broker do a pre-approval for a short sale that fell through and the bank I wound up using for my actual purchase made me go through and document every new tradeline on my credit report to prove to them I wasn't buying multiple houses at the same time.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
You can get as many pre-approvals as you like within I believe 30 days and it won't affect your score,they will all be considered as one. Its not just the rate you can get but how much fees are you paying. You can always get a better rate if your willing to pay more in fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
If the rate is already that good there's minimal benefit these days I'd say. It really can't hurt you to inquire what their rates are though. I'd just avoid asking for a full pre-approval since it can affect your credit score. I had a broker do a pre-approval for a short sale that fell through and the bank I wound up using for my actual purchase made me go through and document every new tradeline on my credit report to prove to them I wasn't buying multiple houses at the same time.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
You can get as many pre-approvals as you like within I believe 30 days and it won't affect your score,they will all be considered as one. Its not just the rate you can get but how much fees are you paying. You can always get a better rate if your willing to pay more in fees.
Well maybe not credit score (I should have been more specific in how it affects things, I work for FICO) but that doesn't mean they aren't going to have the underwriters give your file an extra few passes which may just mean lots of time spent scanning/copying every financial document you've ever had. The bank I went with had credit inquires down to ones I had pulled the day before from another bank.

I did try to fee shop but since the builder had preferred lenders and they were paying closing costs, the fees were almost identical and apparently I offended a lender by asking for lower origination fees.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM

95 posts, read 283,520 times
I have found that mortgage brokers usually have the best deals, and a deal needs to be defined not only by interest rate but also by total loan costs (fees, points, etc.)

The easiest thing to do is check on writealoan.com - their rates are usually very good and you can easily check them online. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples with the loan costs!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 PM

59 posts, read 228,100 times
Thanks everyone! We shopped around and it turned out our bank gave us the best deal so we went with them. Should be closing early-mid July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta