Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM

16 posts, read 49,982 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating from the metro-D.C. area back to Atlanta. The area we live in has lots of public parks with play equipment for children, bike paths, etc. Are there any neighborhoods in and around Atlanta that actually have public parks in the neighborhoods for families to walk to and use (as opposed to one rec center for the whole of the city)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
There are lots of parks, both in the city of Atlanta and in the suburbs. If you wind up in the burbs, many of the newer subdivisions also have their own clubhouses, pools, tennis courts and playgrounds for use by their residents. There is also a fairly extensive bunch of bike trails around the metro area, though some often complain that there should be more trails and parks in an area the size of metro Atlanta.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
Here is a list of City of Atlanta parks City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/parks/burparks_parklocations.aspx - broken link)

If you scroll down on this list, you will see parks listed by facilities City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/parks/bureau_of_parks091703.aspx?section=Bureau%20of%20P arks - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
There are a number of parks in the Intown area which includes the Freedom Park/Path.

http://www.freedompark.org/

Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,445,918 times
If you are looking ITP, it really seems to me that the cities (City of Decatur and Atlanta proper) have the edge over unincorporated county neighborhoods when it comes to parks with play areas for kids. My slightly edgy little intown neighborhood has three parks, two with great playgrounds. I can think of six playgrounds within an easy walk or bike ride from my house. The ITP, 1960s era suburbs all have homes with yards big enough for play equipment, but few public playgrounds. Of course those neighborhoods have neighborhood pools, which would be nice.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM

625 posts, read 1,148,794 times
I've never been but I think Chastain park is more kid-friendly than Piedmont park. check it out.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
The Virginia-Highland/Morningside neighborhood and the City of Decatur both have particularly good parks.

George provided the link to Atlanta Parks. Here's a link to City of Decatur's parks:

Decatur's City Parks

I have also created a special parks section on my atlanta-midtown.com web site that has detail pages for many of the intown parks:

atlanta-midtown.com | Guide to Intown Atlanta Parks

It's a bit out of date and doesn't show nearly all the parks, but it should give you a sense of what some of the parks look like.

Also, Atlanta has The PATH - an urban trail used by runners, cyclists, etc. Find out more about it at:

http://www.pathfoundation.org

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
If you are looking ITP, it really seems to me that the cities (City of Decatur and Atlanta proper) have the edge over unincorporated county neighborhoods when it comes to parks with play areas for kids. My slightly edgy little intown neighborhood has three parks, two with great playgrounds. I can think of six playgrounds within an easy walk or bike ride from my house. The ITP, 1960s era suburbs all have homes with yards big enough for play equipment, but few public playgrounds. Of course those neighborhoods have neighborhood pools, which would be nice.
I agree. That park on the corner of Northern Avenue and Nelson Ferry Rd. in downtown Decatur is always crazy busy and loaded with equipment. I've never seen busier playgrounds and parks as the ones here. And BTW, the newly refurbished Glenlake Park pool and poolhouse in Decatur is fabulous!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree. That park on the corner of Northern Avenue and Nelson Ferry Rd. in downtown Decatur is always crazy busy and loaded with equipment. I've never seen busier playgrounds and parks as the ones here. And BTW, the newly refurbished Glenlake Park pool and poolhouse in Decatur is fabulous!

There are three parks with playgrounds in Oakhurst (south part of City of Decatur) - Medlock Park (also includes a pool that is very young child friendly, a baseball field and a skateboard park), Oakhurst Park (includes baseball and tennis), and Mead Park (playground and field - adjacent Oakhurst Elementary uses it for their playground). We also have a very popular dog park near Oakhurst Park.

A bike path runs through the center of Decatur and heads east to Stone Mountain.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,966 times
There's a very nice park right smack in the south end of Buckhead -- Atlanta Memorial Park -- that include a golf course, clay tennis courts, a long PATH segment under construction, a large field where dogs can be unleashed, some general park area, and a pretty nice playground. These are all called different names (Bobby Jones, Bitsy Grant, Tanyard Creek Park, Ardmore Park) but they are actually just place names for parts of Atlanta Memorial Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta