U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM

7,732 posts, read 13,297,415 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you are aware of this story. For those that are not, it would appear that the City is fighting tooth and nail to support officers injured/incapacitated in the line of duty.

This all plays into the situation where the head of the Police Union claimed he was so frustrated with the City that he felt like "smaking Shirley in the head with a baseball bat."

While I don't agree that he should have said that in a City Council meeting, I am now beginning to feel the outrage and helplessness that he must be feeling.

The increasing arrogance of the City is starting to really tick me off.

Link to the story in the AJC: Atlanta spent $171K to fight injured cops' claims | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/06/10/atlanta_injured_police.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,748,249 times
Truly disgusting. The bat upside the head isn't enough, IMO.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 32,148,520 times
I keep saying I'd love to see the police officers march around the Mayor's office, all carrying inflatable bats to make a point.

Funny - Shirley ordered a "Federal investigation" and money spent on a psychiatric evaluation on the Sgt. who made the bat comments (more $$$ spent), but so far no one has demanded a Federal investigation as to why the City has ignored those officers and actually spent money to fight against them (?). Sounds like the Sgt. is fighting back SOME though, which is good, but they need to play ball for ball with Franklin if that's how she wants to be. Have her butt hauled to a Federal court to explain why the officers were not only ignored, but actually in my opinion, abused.

Very VERY sick situation.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,916,243 times
I understand the outrage but the city is no different from most companies and/or insurance companies when they fight on the job injuries and try to drag out the process to reduce their payout.

Not shocking in the least...Shameful but nothing new...

Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 AM

325 posts, read 917,902 times
Truly shameful...its amazing how Atlanta takes care of their workers (or the lack thereof).....

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM

7,732 posts, read 13,297,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I keep saying I'd love to see the police officers march around the Mayor's office, all carrying inflatable bats to make a point.
Now THIS is what I call creative thinking, Greg! Love it.

What do you want to bet that Pennington would be, um "directed" to either suspend or arrest them?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM

23,123 posts, read 39,863,631 times
Can't speak. Too livid.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,405,805 times
Shirley Franklin and her family are not at all noble, except for maybe her son. The rest seem to have bee involved in some sort of dirt.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,721,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Funny - Shirley ordered a "Federal investigation" and money spent on a psychiatric evaluation on the Sgt. who made the bat comments (more $$$ spent), but so far no one has demanded a Federal investigation as to why the City has ignored those officers and actually spent money to fight against them (?). Sounds like the Sgt. is fighting back SOME though, which is good, but they need to play ball for ball with Franklin if that's how she wants to be. Have her butt hauled to a Federal court to explain why the officers were not only ignored, but actually in my opinion, abused.

Very VERY sick situation.
Seems like a huge violation of these injured Police Officer's civil rights, if not human rights. If Shirley isn't dragged before U.S. federal court for this crap, let her answer for these human rights abuses before the Hague. It's the least we can do for the men and women in blue who put their lives on the line so that the fair citizens of Atlanta can live in comfort without fear.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM

235 posts, read 789,293 times
Thanks for posting about this, I didn't know the back story. What a big shame, it makes the Atlanta City Government look worse than it already is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>