Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM

58 posts, read 269,781 times

Advertisements

We are currently with Northwest using the Sentricon system but not real happy with their inspect the little stations, say we have some activity and then everything seems fine. They have never gone into the garage or home for any inspection. Talked to Breda Pest and they clain the sentricon is ineffective and Termidor is the best and for 800 or so they can come out and pop out all the old cylindrical hole sin the concrete and retreat the yard with gallons of magic bug killing Termidor.... So, any thoughts on the pros/cons of each or suggestions of a more thorough company - although I guess we would wind up paying a big fee to switch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
I researched the topic of termites extensively and ultimately decided that I liked what Breda had to offer most. You can research the sentricon/termidor argument all over the place, and most sources will tell you that what Breda preaches is correct. The baiting station approach is basically just a cash cow of the pest control industry and not very effective. When you think about it, it doesn't even make sense, since when they see activity on the bait station it involves pulling up the station and applying the treated wood....which in turn destroys the existing foraging tubes and, termites being sensitive to disruption, causes them to NOT come back to get the chemical. I would not be so skeptical of the Termidor claims....similar products were the norm way back when (ie, soil treatments that would last 10-20 years as a barrier around the house), but they were not environmentally friendly, so fell out of favor. Now the Termidor products appear to be as effective, but no real environmental impact.

The other thing I liked about Breda was they offer a zero deductible "repair" bond, versus the industry standard "treatment" bond. Also, I liked that Breda treated under the slab in my garage. Where slab meets house is the most susceptible areas for termite entry, from I've read.

Also, although it seems like there are many companies that use Termidor, I ultimately picked Breda because of their thermal imaging technology, so you can actually see what's going on behind your walls. If you've never had this done before, it is really cool and gives you big time peace of mind.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prtyof4 View Post
We are currently with Northwest using the Sentricon system but not real happy with their inspect the little stations, say we have some activity and then everything seems fine. They have never gone into the garage or home for any inspection. Talked to Breda Pest and they clain the sentricon is ineffective and Termidor is the best and for 800 or so they can come out and pop out all the old cylindrical hole sin the concrete and retreat the yard with gallons of magic bug killing Termidor.... So, any thoughts on the pros/cons of each or suggestions of a more thorough company - although I guess we would wind up paying a big fee to switch
I've been happy with the thoroughness of the inspectors we've had from Arrow Exterminators ... they walk around the house and poke into everything, walk inside the garage and check all the inside walls, and also check out the finished parts of our basement to make sure there aren't any unusual swellings or other signs in the interior walls. We use Termidor, but they offer either Termidor or the Sentricion bait system, and you can also get both for not much more than just a Termidor treatment.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've been happy with the thoroughness of the inspectors we've had from Arrow Exterminators ... they walk around the house and poke into everything, walk inside the garage and check all the inside walls, and also check out the finished parts of our basement to make sure there aren't any unusual swellings or other signs in the interior walls.
Ditto. We use Sentricon, and I've had no issues, and any potential damage is in fact covered.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Ditto. We use Sentricon, and I've had no issues, and any potential damage is in fact covered.
We simply continued the existing termite bond from Arrow that the previous owners had, but we have no experience yet with damage or replacement.

However, my boss also uses Arrow up in Acworth, and they apparently did a very good job doing external wall repairs for him due to termite damage.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
We simply continued the existing termite bond from Arrow that the previous owners had, but we have no experience yet with damage or replacement.

However, my boss also uses Arrow up in Acworth, and they apparently did a very good job doing external wall repairs for him due to termite damage.
Luckily, I've not had to find out. Our experience though with Arrow has been excellent for other services as well as the termite protection. They come out and do the green, non-toxic (to humans and pets) spraying in the house and around the yard to keep ants and other insects out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta