Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM

102 posts, read 393,306 times

Advertisements

Are American sports streamed online? I know that European football (soccer as folks call it here) is. This is primarily the only reason why I have a TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma31 View Post
Are American sports streamed online? I know that European football (soccer as folks call it here) is. This is primarily the only reason why I have a TV.
Yes, for a fee. There are also packages sold by cable and satellite companies that allow you to get out of market games.

I take the baseball package so I can watch the Red Sox games and catch other interesting matchups. I could get the online package, but I don't want to watch something like that on a relatively small computer monitor.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,042 times
We have 3 tv's in our house--1 42" LCD, and 2 25" analog tv's.

I can't get into mindless tv, but we will watch the news, VH-1 Soul (I love neo-soul...and it seems as if that's the only channel where I can see the new videos), PBS, Noggin, HGTV, and the Food network. I'll catch a movie every now and then....or catch an old Golden Girls, Cosby Show, A Different World, etc. when I'm in the mood for it!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post

I can't get into mindless tv, but we will watch the news, VH-1 Soul (I love neo-soul...and it seems as if that's the only channel where I can see the new videos), PBS, Noggin, HGTV, and the Food network. I'll catch a movie every now and then....or catch an old Golden Girls, Cosby Show, A Different World, etc. when I'm in the mood for it!

I'll say you're in your early to mid 30s, with a 3-5 yr old child (or more than one) . Same here (for choice of programs/demographics etc ).

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post

I'm with you on those channels and shows, especially VH-1 Soul. (Similar demographic). Just add in the Sci-Fi channel and we're good!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM

378 posts, read 625,952 times
TV is what you get when you get bored on the Internet and don't want to play video games. TV is a cess pool of commercials, unfunny shows, old edited movies, more commercials, etc. Outside of a few shows worth watching at any given time, TV is absolute garbage.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
TV is what you get when you get bored on the Internet and don't want to play video games. TV is a cess pool of commercials, unfunny shows, old edited movies, more commercials, etc. Outside of a few shows worth watching at any given time, TV is absolute garbage.
Sorry but that's a load of typical crap and a huge generalization. You don't like TV, then don't watch. This stereotype of a big fat moron, sitting on the couch eating Doritos, watching "Big Brother #7" might be true in some cases, but I can tell you that for me it's not, and there are many people like me who enjoy being educated and entertained. I get plenty of exercise and do plenty of critical thinking at work and I like to enjoy TV.

Watching TV, especially on a cable or satellite system, doesn't have to mean watching the broadcast network programming. I watch sports on ESPN, MLB, NFL, and others. I watch very educational shows and documentaries on the various Discovery channels, Science Channel, History Channel, Nat Geo, PBS, HGTV. I watch Sci Fi and retro shows from the 60s and 70s. I watch good first run movies and original shows on HBO, Showtime, Starz.

Bad TV is garbage. Good TV is not. Just like any other product or service.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sorry but that's a load of typical crap and a huge generalization. You don't like TV, then don't watch. This stereotype of a big fat moron, sitting on the couch eating Doritos, watching "Big Brother #7" might be true in some cases, but I can tell you that for me it's not, and there are many people like me who enjoy being educated and entertained. I get plenty of exercise and do plenty of critical thinking at work and I like to enjoy TV.

Watching TV, especially on a cable or satellite system, doesn't have to mean watching the broadcast network programming. I watch sports on ESPN, MLB, NFL, and others. I watch very educational shows and documentaries on the various Discovery channels, Science Channel, History Channel, Nat Geo, PBS, HGTV. I watch Sci Fi and retro shows from the 60s and 70s. I watch good first run movies and original shows on HBO, Showtime, Starz.

Bad TV is garbage. Good TV is not. Just like any other product or service.

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Heh. There's some truth to what you say.

We let our two DVRs (a ReplayTV and a Motorola HD DVR from Comcast) pick off the shows that we're interested in, and then we can watch what we want when we want to. The ReplayTV auto-skips most commercials, which is quite nice, and it's also linked to the LAN, making it easy to watch shows from it on a PC elsewhere in the house.

We generally have enough saved episodes and various recorded movies to keep us happy. If not, there's always Scrabble or Settlers.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM

750 posts, read 2,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Heh. There's some truth to what you say.

We let our two DVRs (a ReplayTV and a Motorola HD DVR from Comcast) pick off the shows that we're interested in, and then we can watch what we want when we want to. The ReplayTV auto-skips most commercials, which is quite nice, and it's also linked to the LAN, making it easy to watch shows from it on a PC elsewhere in the house.

We generally have enough saved episodes and various recorded movies to keep us happy. If not, there's always Scrabble or Settlers.

Hey finally someone else who plays Settlers, great game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: