Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times

Advertisements

More East Cobb info...(school district boundaries)...

http://www.cobb.k12.ga.us/centraloffice/planning/2009-10AttendanceZones_High.pdf (broken link)

http://www.cobb.k12.ga.us/centraloffice/planning/2009-10AttendanceZones_Middle.pdf (broken link)

http://www.cobb.k12.ga.us/centraloffice/planning/2009-10AttendanceZones_Elementary.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Hardly any of my male bosses, wives work either. But they are all so nice when I see them.
My wife hasn't worked since 1997 when our youngest daughter was born. She decided it was more important to raise our children and I was able to support the family without the need for her income. She was actually planning to go back to work after we moved here but the economy got in the way.

What does whether or not a woman (or someone's wife) works have to do with anything? Are you saying that fact alone is an indicator as to whether or not someone is "snobby?" You seem surprised that they were nice.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:20 PM

For what it's worth...

If a family can afford it (and probably more could if some weren't worried about the joneses), One parent being a stay-at-home (the man or the woman) is good for the children.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

826 posts, read 3,119,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
My wife hasn't worked since 1997 when our youngest daughter was born. She decided it was more important to raise our children and I was able to support the family without the need for her income. She was actually planning to go back to work after we moved here but the economy got in the way.

What does whether or not a woman (or someone's wife) works have to do with anything? Are you saying that fact alone is an indicator as to whether or not someone is "snobby?" You seem surprised that they were nice.
Quite the contrary. Because so many of the non working women I know
( bosses wives, neighbors, etc.) are so nice. I was surprised , at what seemed to be, the implied correlation because snobbishness and a non working women.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
For what it's worth...

If a family can afford it (and probably more could if some weren't worried about the joneses), One parent being a stay-at-home (the man or the woman) is good for the children.
Not if staying at home would result in an unhappy Mother. This would be the case with me.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Why Walton over the many other great high schools in East Cobb and Metro Atlanta?

Just curious...maybe could offer you some feedback.
Walton appears to be the top High School in the State. My husband and I went to top public schools, it really helped us adjust to college life easier.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Walton appears to be the top High School in the State. My husband and I went to top public schools, it really helped us adjust to college life easier.
OK. But, keep in mind, there are many top high schools (comparable or even better than Walton) in the Atlanta area.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
OK. But, keep in mind, there are many top high schools (comparable or even better than Walton) in the Atlanta area.
Whenever I look at the Nationwide High School rankings, Walton is #1 in the state. I believe it may be the Us News and world report rankings?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Whenever I look at the Nationwide High School rankings, Walton is #1 in the state. I believe it may be the Us News and world report rankings?
It wouldn't recommend just relying on "rankings."

What do you truly want in schools...other than a high ranking?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
Quote:
Does the same ring true in the Walton zone? This is where we would most likely move. Hardly any of my male bosses, wives work either. But they are all so nice when I see them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2bob View Post
The Walton zone is probably the "worst". But hey, I've lived here 10 years and my kids made great friends. I'd say about half the women work and half don't. As with anywhere, there's always good people to be found. But most of the people around Walton are what I would call ultra-conservative.
Bob's comments continue to be consistent with my experience up in the Lassiter zone. Of course all those non-working moms are nice. And of course there's some variety of people everywhere, and my kid too has found good friends. It's just that the dominant culture is ultra-conservative and trying to preserve itself. It's understandable, but it gets a little wearing.

When we first moved here - due to my job transfer - my husband was initially not working at all (waiting on employment authorization) and then he was working part-time. Indeed, this has been great for our daughter. He tried volunteering at her elementary school, but that didn't work out. The pack of immaculately turned out traditional moms who dominated the volunteer scene at school made it clear that a rumpled Canadian dad was not a welcome addition. Of course they weren't overtly rude. That wouldn't be "nice". But they made it quite clear.

The majority of people who live in my area are "nice" enough, but it just does not cross their mind that another white middle-class person might not share their traditional conservative American social and religious views, tastes and interests, or enjoy their family's level of disposable income (apparently typically more than ours). And it seems rude to point it out, since they really don't want to know and we're the interlopers, after all. We don't spend all our time feeling tortured - this is a nice place to live in many ways - but when I read im2bob's first post, I felt a surge of recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta