Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times

Advertisements

Annual survey by auto club finds we are not very courteous behind the wheel

Atlanta drivers among nation's road rage leaders | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/16/atlanta_road_rage_.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newst ab&cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,078 times
Never seen it myself, but then I am oblivious to other drivers, I view everything else as vehicles, it's not worth getting angry at machines so I stay calm and enjoy the scenery.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,705 times
Here's another related article.

New York Drivers Named Most Aggressive, Angry in U.S. | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090616/Agressive.Drivers.US/ - broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 05:13 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Ok, this time I will take up for Atlanta and call the AJC report bunk!
Ok, then again I call "everything" written in that rag bunk anyway

Atlanta has some of the most aggressive drivers in regard to speed that I have seen but as far as rage and flippin' the bird. Only one time have I been flipped in 5 years and funny, though he had a Georgia tag on his car the turd still had the NY inspection sticker on his window

For the most part, even with all the world transplants, I find many drivers here, though NASCAR wannabe's on speed to be rather happy. I usually get the blink to "come on over" I return and get the "wave". Sometimes folks will miss judge then look and say sorry with the shug and mouthing gesture.

Nah! Go to Jersey, NY, LA, and some areas in the Chicagoland area, there you will find many fingers of friendship coming your way.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:33 PM

236 posts, read 698,370 times
The rage is directed at the idiots driving 10 under in the fast lane.....

Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Another reason to ride MARTA.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Not sure I agree with the road rage part of the article, though people's driving skills do leave a lot to be desired. If they said Atlanta was among the worst in terms of people doing things OTHER than driving while behind the wheel (using cell phone/texting, etc) then I would agree to that.

Here's the thing: When you're going down the Highway in Atlanta, you are in your car, and around you, you have people who are not only passing through from all areas of the East Coast, but, you have transplanted residents as well. People from just about every State, and a good number of countries, all behind wheels, trying to putt-putt down the road at 80mph, inches from cars all around them. Honestly, with that many VERY diverse amounts of driving skills and habits on the roads, I'm surprised there isn't a TON more accidents and rage incidents than there already are. And if you look at these surveys, the biggest offending cities are the ones with "international" populations, all sharing the same roads.

In other words, go to a less popular city where many of the residents are life-long residents there, with few transplants, and you'll find more uniformed (and easy going) drivers. Go to a city like NYC, Atlanta, Miami, etc., where you have very varied residents and pass-throughs, and poof - rage and frustration on the roads.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,817 times
Irritation is caused by "my way is the best way" mentality. I'll keep saying it so maybe more people will read it, but, move over! I dont care if you are doing 500 over the limit, MOVE. It is none of your business to be bothered with that. What you need to be worried about is if there is a car behind you, move.

If that is taken care of you will see half the "traffic" go away. Today i was stuck on 75 doing 30 for a few miles. Apparently 2 self righteous morons decided it would be nice to block the 2 lanes (and the right one is just merging so it doesn't matter there much). As soon as they left it was all clear

We dont have road rage in atlanta at all... road rage is where you attack the other person somehow.

And courtesy gets real thin after you give the 10th moron a break in the 2 miles it takes you to reach the store or wherever. Personally if i gave courtesy to everybody i will never get anywhere and will easily tap on another 2 hours of daily commute. Time i can never get back

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Ok, this time I will take up for Atlanta and call the AJC report bunk!
Ok, then again I call "everything" written in that rag bunk anyway
Uh-huh, so when the AJC reports on a national survey by some other organization, the information becomes contaminated by AJC raggishness? Somebody else posted a link to a Comcast report on the same survey. Is every media outlet that reported on this survey a bunk peddler, or what?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,315 times
Driving in Atlanta caused my road rage. The horrible street layout within the city limits, coupled w/ the lack of left turn lanes/arrows, coupled w/ people's stupid stupid stupid driving habits made me want to rip out my hair on a daily basis. So in that case, it doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta