Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM

258 posts, read 534,451 times

Advertisements

ok, ill just put it out there............ i dont care if i get fired on here or not. where do large numbers of middle and upper class black people live? dekalb or fulton? i dont want to live or be around anymore ghettos. i had more than my fairshare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
ok, ill just put it out there............ i dont care if i get fired on here or not. where do large numbers of middle and upper class black people live? dekalb or fulton? i dont want to live or be around anymore ghettos. i had more than my fairshare
Northern metro; Duluth, Norcross, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Buckhead, Dunwoody, etc. You haven't been looking in good areas.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
South Fulton, Rockdale County, South Dekalb and Douglasville.

Rockdale is majority black now and middle class. It is sorta like Howard County or Harford County for how far it is from Atlanta.

South Dekalb and South Fulton would be comparable to Northwest Baltimore County or the communities right off RT.40 before you cross over into Baltimore County. Majority black with lower income areas mixed in with the middle class areas.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Northern metro; Duluth, Norcross, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Buckhead, Dunwoody, etc. You haven't been looking in good areas.
I believe he said large numbers. Regardless of what your definition of large is, none of those areas fit the bill.

OP: Check out Cascade Heights in South Fulton.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
what is crime like in SW atlanta?
I don't know. All I know is every day, the local news in Atlanta starts like this: "So and so was murdered today in a southwest Atlanta neighborhood."

You sound like you're a man who wants truth, so here's a little truth for you:

Do you want to know where some good middle and upper class black folks live, or do you want a neighborhood that is MAJORITY black?

There's a difference. Pretty much any suburb that is considered "good" through the normal measures is going to have a somewhat decent black population. This isn't the old South anymore, there's no such thing as an all white neighborhood around here. If you want some place that is MAJORITY black, you're going to be talking about places like Lithonia and Cascade. Those places are considered desireable, but only by black people. If you want a place that is considered desireable by everyone, stop worrying about whether it's good for black people.

I don't know how to say this any clearer: The neighborhoods that are good for white people are ALSO good for black people. Just look for nice houses, good schools, and friendly people. I promise you're not going to have a cross burned in your front yard no matter where you go. I think you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice to look for a majority black neighborhood. Why? Well, because blacks aren't the majority in this country or city, so why would they be a majority in a neighborhood? That would be like me moving to Japan and looking for a majority American neighborhood. So long as Americans are welcome everywhere, like blacks are in Atlanta, why would I even care? Further, why would I expect to even find that? I'm in Japan.

Forget all the black advice you're getting. Don't look in College Park, Jonesboro, Lithonia, or Stone Mountain. Listen to muxBuppie. Look in the traditional good areas, Buckhead, Dunwoody, Duluth, Alpharetta, and Sandy Springs. You'll be a lot happier in the end.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Sound advice!! I repped you for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't know. All I know is every day, the local news in Atlanta starts like this: "So and so was murdered today in a southwest Atlanta neighborhood."

Do you want to know where some good middle and upper class black folks live, or do you want a neighborhood that is MAJORITY black?

There's a difference. Pretty much any suburb that is considered "good" through the normal measures is going to have a somewhat decent black population. This isn't the old South anymore, there's no such thing as an all white neighborhood around here. If you want some place that is MAJORITY black, you're going to be talking about places like Lithonia and Cascade. Those places are considered desireable, but only by black people. If you want a place that is considered desireable by everyone, stop worrying about whether it's good for black people.

I don't know how to say this any clearer: The neighborhoods that are good for white people are ALSO good for black people. Just look for nice houses, good schools, and friendly people. I promise you're not going to have a cross burned in your front yard no matter where you go. I think you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice to look for a majority black neighborhood. Why? Well, because blacks aren't the majority in this country or city, so why would they be a majority in a neighborhood? That would be like me moving to Japan and looking for a majority American neighborhood. So long as Americans are welcome everywhere, like blacks are in Atlanta, why would I even care? Further, why would I expect to even find that? I'm in Japan.

Forget all the black advice you're getting. Don't look in College Park, Jonesboro, Lithonia, or Stone Mountain. Listen to muxBuppie. Look in the traditional good areas, Buckhead, Dunwoody, Duluth, Alpharetta, and Sandy Springs. You'll be a lot happier in the end.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
OP:

1. SW Atlanta is a horrible area and crime is off the charts. Do not go there.

2. Buckhead/Dunwoody/Duluth/Alpharetta/Sandy Springs/John's Creek et al are nice neighborhoods on the north side. But they are mostly white. So if you are looking for a lot of black neighbors you probably won't have a great deal in those areas. Of course there are still some predominately black churches and such, so you could still meet other blacks very easily.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
iguess so. but i don't want anything where my mortage is 2700 a month.... i'm trying MB, im trying...........

Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

if i cant have both, i'll absolutely take option a........
where some good middle and upper class black folks live
its hard to do after reading that ghatdyamm book by laurence otis graham!! larry got me trying to be elite

p.s. this one of the best advice posts i ever read on here that was addressed to me. thanks TJL......

Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
OP:

1. SW Atlanta is a horrible area and crime is off the charts. Do not go there.

2. Buckhead/Dunwoody/Duluth/Alpharetta/Sandy Springs/John's Creek et al are nice neighborhoods on the north side. But they are mostly white. So if you are looking for a lot of black neighbors you probably won't have a great deal in those areas. Of course there are still some predominately black churches and such, so you could still meet other blacks very easily.
lol, i need more than people with black skin. i need to be around people with high levels of education and decent amounts of $$ to go with the melanin.....
but on a more serious note, i have been keepin a piece of my eye on alphretta and sandy springs.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta