Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,133,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDesign View Post
I wouldn't say that. I don't like Comcast (very bad reputation) and U-verse is to expensive for what you get (They may limit me to 150GB a month which is pushing it. Besides, it's AT&T. ) Satellite is no good, and DSL is slow, and dial-up is unthinkable since I do web development.

There's only two choices I see (U-verse and Comcast) and they are both no good.
You posted and asked for choices. Atlanta has many choices, unlike many other parts of the country where you're lucky if you have two choices.

You don't like cable; you don't like DSL; you don't want U-Verse; you don't like satellite; dial-up is too slow (I agree and no one suggested dial up).

The only one you didn't mention was the WiMax option, but I assume you have some problem with it too, so what can we tell you? There are many good options, but you have a problem with all of them. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM

31 posts, read 179,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There are many good options, but you have a problem with all of them. Sorry.
I've had a very bad experience with AT&T and I'm always reading bad reports about Comcast (can so many complaints really be unmeritted?). I'm always on the Internet and use a lot of bandwidth (probably not 150GB a month but it soon may be) Still, the cap of 150GB is cutting it very close (AT&T Monthly Bandwidth Caps Are Here - U-Verse - Gizmodo) It looks like Comcast (with 250GB) is the best option for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
dsl isnt slower. if you have fiber in your home/street or anywhere on the final loop, you are limited to 1.5mbps.. else on good old copper you can get 6

lol @ dsl being slow. you dont like comcast yet you are repeating their mantra of "we are faaaaaaaster than dsl"? funny.
What? I didn't repeat anything.

Okay cityrover, let me rephrase that. The fastest cable is faster than the fastest DSL service. But DSL is still unacceptable if the info in this link is true. (Stop the Cap! » Blog Archive » AT&T Broadband: We’re Capping You, But We Won’t Tell You Until After You Sign Up) Even the fastest AT&T DSL, Elite at 6Mbps gives me only 80GB bandwidth. I definitely will use more than that.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,871,202 times
Quote:
I've had a very bad experience with AT&T and I'm always reading bad reports about Comcast (can so many complaints really be unmeritted?). I'm always on the Internet and use a lot of bandwidth (probably not 150GB a month but it soon may be) Still, the cap of 150GB is cutting it very close (AT&T Monthly Bandwidth Caps Are Here - U-Verse - Gizmodo) It looks like Comcast (with 250GB) is the best option for now.

Okay cityrover, let me rephrase that. The fastest cable is faster than the fastest DSL service. But DSL is still unacceptable if the info in this link is true. (Stop the Cap! » Blog Archive » AT&T Broadband: We’re Capping You, But We Won’t Tell You Until After You Sign Up) Even the fastest AT&T DSL, Elite at 6Mbps gives me only 80GB bandwidth. I definitely will use more than that.
AlDesign, you may not have read this thread carefully. I mentioned in a previous post that I have 6.0 MB DSL from a third-party ISP, not AT&T. Possibly my provider or another of the resellers would suit you. There's a reason the resellers are in business. They offer different terms and quality of service than AT&T.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:48 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,362,307 times
Quote:

That has nothing to do with speed. The caps are a recent thing as well. You want unlimited FOOD? get a business line. problem solved. they run under 200$ a month.

I dont see what the fuss is about.

You know why we have caps right? Because people kept complaining it was slow. So they kept increasing the speed.. well the ride is over. It is no longer sustainable so they are capping you to prevent you from using it. Funny how that works.

Again, get a business class service and you won't have to worry about that.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:31 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,133,531 times
I had ATT DSL which was 6.0 Mbps down, although the upload was only about 400 Kbps (512K - DSL overhead). No cap. $27.95/mo with POTS local and long distance.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,352,873 times
Quote:
I have Earthlink now, but that's because I haven't moved to Georgia yet, but Earthlink isn't there.
First of all, none of these providers is "ripping you off" if they deliver what they say they will at the advertised price.

I don't understand the comment about Earthlink. I used Earthlink DSL in suburban Atlanta for many years. They are most definitely "there" in Atlanta. When I first started using their service I was very satisfied. But after a few years the service became unreliable and the phone support became horrible (I blame it on outsourcing the phone center to India).

I switched to AT&T DSL. 6.0 down and something less than 1.0 up. It was fantastic! When it worked. Sadly, I had more outages with them than I did with Earthlink. But I can say that their phone support was always great. Unfortunately I needed something more reliable than they could provide. (More info here if you care: 8-bit Bill)

So at the end of April of this year I switched to Comcast. I resisted for as long as possible (because of all the negative comments they receive), but finally decided they were my only option (U-Verse is not available in my area). So far I have been satisfied with the speed and the uptime. There have been a few outages but none have lasted very long. The phone support is not as good as I had with AT&T but far better than Earthlink. They answer their phone quickly, but don't always tell me what I need to know (or don't tell me until I drag it out of them).

YMMV.

Bill

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM

31 posts, read 179,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I don't understand the comment about Earthlink. I used Earthlink DSL in suburban Atlanta for many years.
I mean Earthlink cable. I've never had a problem with them. Earthlink only offers dial-up and satellite in the area of Gwinnett county where I live.

By ripping off I mean bad service (downtime when you should have connections), bad customer service, and lower bandwidth caps.

Fios would be nice and I don't think they will NEVER come to Georgia. I've seen no evidence of caps:
Verizon Bandwidth Cap! I know they got one - dslreports.com
AT&T testing bandwidth caps, Verizon says no plans to cap FiOS or DSL | Gear Live

Old 07-10-2009, 11:38 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,352,873 times
Quote:
I mean Earthlink cable. I've never had a problem with them. Earthlink only offers dial-up and satellite in the area of Gwinnett county where I live.

By ripping off I mean bad service (downtime when you should have connections), bad customer service, and lower bandwidth caps.
That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I should mention the one very annoying thing about Comcast that I have encountered. Lengthy uploads are progressively rate limited. The longer the upload takes, the less bandwidth it gets. Normally I don't care, but sometimes I have to upload large files (such as images, movies, tar files, etc) and I can watch as my per-second transfer rate decreases with every second.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,992,953 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that. I don't like Comcast (very bad reputation) and U-verse is to expensive for what you get (They may limit me to 150GB a month which is pushing it. Besides, it's AT&T. ) Satellite is no good, and DSL is slow, and dial-up is unthinkable since I do web development.

There's only two choices I see (U-verse and Comcast) and they are both no good.
In my experience Comcast is just fine as long as you don't have to deal with any issues or try to order anything new.

Their field service folks seem quite good, though.

We have phone, basic digital cable, and internet though Comcast now, and it mostly just works. I think I kinda said that above, too. Oops! :-)

Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,322,249 times
I agree with what cityrover said....if you want top speeds AND unlimited data, you should get a business line. 250GB is a serious amount of data. That's about 8GB per day of downloading. Like someone else said, you are only hitting that if you are streaming video all day long or leaving P2P running 24/7 (I'm guessing the latter).

I have had Comcast now for 4 years. When we started, it was around 6Mbps. I'm not even sure what the advertised rate is now, but my recent Speedtest.net tests showed a consistent 22Mbps download and 2Mbps upload rate in the middle of the day. That's not too shabby.

As for customer service...In the true nature of jinxing myself, I recently commented how I have rarely ever had a problem with their uptime...it almost never went out in 4 years. Sure enough, the following week, we started seeing numerous problems. I finally called them yesterday, and the lady on the phone said there was no problem. While I was on the phone with the woman, she said "Oh, a notification just popped up on my screen saying we re having problems in your area and we should have someone out there soon". In the previous week or so, I had to reset my router probably 10 times or more per day. Since the phone call yesterday, I haven't had to once. They have also always been very quick to respond and their techs have been great on the maybe two occasions I have called for service.

I am also on the internet all day and most of the night. I don't stream video non stop or do P2p, but I've never had any issues with a cap. Seriously, 250GB is a LOT of data...

Oh, and my comcast internet is $45/mo. Probably less because I also have cable, but that's not a bad price.

Get a business line and be done with it if you need that much data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta