Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM

58 posts, read 152,935 times

Advertisements

I've lived on east campus (fraternity house) for 3 years and haven't had any problems yet. I've even walked to the checkers on 10th/spring multiple times at 4AM while heavily intoxicated. I guess it's because that part of midtown has a lot of yuppie bars and a lot of cops patrolling whereas no one really patrols Home Park. I know a few fellow students who live there and have parties but it seems the majority of the houses are pretty sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,092,320 times
Hookem89 maybe you don't look like a nerdy geek. So that's why the thugs didn't try you. Some students who attend GA Tech being robbed must be a problem. It keeps showing up in the Augusta paper. Georgia Tech student robbed at gunpoint

Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,548 times
This info was posted on a local newspaper's website tonight: ( I removed the victim's last names)

Incidents near campus
• June 21: Jim and Ryan were robbed at 1040 Hampton St.
• May 4: Carsten, a 22-year-old senior at Georgia State, was visiting his girlfriend at her apartment on 16th Street near Northside Drive when he was approached by three armed men. He was later shot.
• May 4: Patrick was shot during a robbery in the garage of the Tivoli Tenside Apartments at 1000 Northside Drive.
• March 30: Mohammed was robbed at gunpoint at 676 Mechanical Engineering Drive.
• March 28: A unnamed female student was carjacked at gunpoint on Home Park Avenue near the Family Apartment/Graduate Living Center (10th Street and Home Park Avenue).
• March 22: An unnamed Georgia Tech student was robbed near 10th Street and Williams Street while walking back to campus from a MARTA station.
- March 16: An unnamed victim not affiliated with Tech was held up at gunpoint at Third Street near Spring Street.
• March 14: Reginald was robbed at gunpoint and had his car stolen. He was at Centennial Olympic Park Place between North Avenue and Merritt Street.
• Feb. 7: Joseph was robbed at gunpoint on Holly Street between 10th Street and Home Park Avenue.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
Isn't it sort of crazy that we have to live in a country where we have to arm ourselves? That's more like a third world country.
Everything comes full circle. It wasn't that long ago in American history where it was commonplace for everyone to carry a firearm on them as they carried on their daily business. And other than the traditional saloon fight and bank robbery, overall crime in this country was very low as a result, even in many towns that had no official law enforcement.

Then came the "modern" age where police departments were formed, and for a few decades, there was no need for the average citizen to carry a weapon for their protection - the law was near enough and visible enough that it was supposedly no longer needed.

Unfortunately, a couple of decades ago we started to see a percentage of American kids start to grow up in ghettos, who had fathers who abandoned them, and mothers who did drugs and/or had to work two jobs and were never home to raise them. These kids were wild, stealing cars and shoplifting from stores. Then, THOSE kids had kids, and their kids got just a little bit meaner. Then those kids had kids, and the word "carjacking" entered our vocabulary. Now, the 4th generation or so of fatherless children have entered society, and we see the results - children in some cases not even old enough to drive, or those not even 16 or 17, armed to the teeth with semi-automatic weapons, patrolling the roads in SUVs, looking for victims to rob, harm, and in some cases, murder. Why? "just because they can". No remorse, no emotion - just "because".

Sorry to be so philosophical, but trends and history come full circle sometimes. I fear we are about to enter a new age where once again, the everyday citizen will HAVE to carry a weapon in order to protect themselves - just like in the old West. I'm not a member of the NRA. I don't hunt. I don't have a gun rack in my vehicle, and I don't subscribe to "guns and ammo" magazine. But unless American cities completely re-prioritize their money into MUCH larger police forces, and unless there are severe penalties for fathers who skip out on their children, and for those who commit crimes that involve weapons use, then soon we'll be on our own.

The Tech guys are just the very beginning. Expect this type of thing in broad daylight at your local mall not long from now if things are not controlled soon. Start writing to the City, the County, the State, and yes, even the big hoodah in DC - if they need to create a "Federal police force" to combat this trend - so be it. But people need to let their elected officials know now that they won't stand for being victims any more.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 PM

156 posts, read 433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
You must not visit Atlantic Station that often because it is hardly "Thug Central". Where do you guys get these crazy assumptions from? I probably visit Atlantic Station 4 times per month and everything is fine there.
I don't need to visit Atlantic Station...I lived there for a year and a half. 2 days after my wife moved in we walked out to police tape on the street where there had been a shooting. During the day it was okay, but at night it was pure garbage. There were countless nights of police coming to break up domestic disputes and hauling off wannabe thugs who were assaulting residents. I've lived in some tough urban environments and that was the worst I've experienced.

Atlantagreg is right. We need to contact our representatives and leaders at every level to say we're not going to tolerate this kind of behavior. There is not excuse to do what these thugs are doing. This culture cannot be accepted.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Update: Three teens have been arrested in one of the older robberies.

Story - 3 Teens Arrested In Georgia Tech Student Shooting - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM

156 posts, read 433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Update: Three teens have been arrested in one of the older robberies.

Story - 3 Teens Arrested In Georgia Tech Student Shooting - News Story - WSB Atlanta
Yeah but there was ANOTHER robbery at gun point last night. Unbelievable.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 AM

281 posts, read 617,150 times
One of the kids is 17 and was apparently already a felon. I would like to see a story on the parents of these kids. I wish they could be charged as well. I'm sure dad was not around. Seems like one of the shooters of the bartender over on Memorial was also around 17. Unbelievable that kids that age are shooting people in armed robberies. I was working at McDonalds at that age. I'm sure they had a tough upbringing, but that doesn't excuse shooting someone. I guess there a plenty more of them since the robberies have continued after their arrest. Better start building more prisons.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 AM

37 posts, read 134,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
This info was posted on a local newspaper's website tonight: ( I removed the victim's last names)

Incidents near campus
• June 21: Jim and Ryan were robbed at 1040 Hampton St.
• May 4: Carsten, a 22-year-old senior at Georgia State, was visiting his girlfriend at her apartment on 16th Street near Northside Drive when he was approached by three armed men. He was later shot.
• May 4: Patrick was shot during a robbery in the garage of the Tivoli Tenside Apartments at 1000 Northside Drive.
• March 30: Mohammed was robbed at gunpoint at 676 Mechanical Engineering Drive.
• March 28: A unnamed female student was carjacked at gunpoint on Home Park Avenue near the Family Apartment/Graduate Living Center (10th Street and Home Park Avenue).
• March 22: An unnamed Georgia Tech student was robbed near 10th Street and Williams Street while walking back to campus from a MARTA station.
- March 16: An unnamed victim not affiliated with Tech was held up at gunpoint at Third Street near Spring Street.
• March 14: Reginald was robbed at gunpoint and had his car stolen. He was at Centennial Olympic Park Place between North Avenue and Merritt Street.
• Feb. 7: Joseph was robbed at gunpoint on Holly Street between 10th Street and Home Park Avenue.
My roommate is a Tech student so I get to hear firsthand about some of these incidents. He's never had a problem, but it seems everyone "knows someone" who has. A few happened on campus; most off, though. GT has its own police that patrol the campus, but I don't believe they are paid to patrol nearby streets as well.

One thing I want to point out again is that most of the victims were ALONE when it happened. I'd also bet that these incidents are overwhelmingly happening late at night. College students, many of whom are not "familiar" with the risks of urban life, are generally far less paranoid (or call it "careful" :-P) than longterm residents who know better than to wander down side streets drunk at 2am.

I am a fairly solid fan of home defense, and certainly not anti-gun,but I have yet to see a cogent argument for CARRYING guns as a deterrent. The nature of being robbed at gunpoint means someone already HAS you in the position they want you. It doesn't matter if it's to your face or the back of your head. You could be carrying a freaking gatling gun, and what are you going to do - shoot at the perp's back after he leaves? Are any of you aware of the other fact- that most robbers have accomplices (sometimes hiding nearby if not actually involved), who WILL attack anyone who resists?

The crimes need to be prevented, not reacted to. Better street lighting in Home Park, better patrols by police, setting up a neighborhood watch, and educating the students in sane safety techniques are the solution. And hopefully, the cops will get enough information to lead to arrests.

The "kids" usually do get caught eventually - because they're kids, and they're stupid - but as for the pros - no one ever sees their faces. They will move on to the next "easy target" area, if GT becomes threatening to them. The only positive about being mugged by a pro is that they rarely hurt their targets; it's the kids, again, who are jumpy, inexperienced, and inclined to shoot.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,068,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Everything comes full circle. It wasn't that long ago in American history where it was commonplace for everyone to carry a firearm on them as they carried on their daily business. And other than the traditional saloon fight and bank robbery, overall crime in this country was very low as a result, even in many towns that had no official law enforcement.

Then came the "modern" age where police departments were formed, and for a few decades, there was no need for the average citizen to carry a weapon for their protection - the law was near enough and visible enough that it was supposedly no longer needed.

Unfortunately, a couple of decades ago we started to see a percentage of American kids start to grow up in ghettos, who had fathers who abandoned them, and mothers who did drugs and/or had to work two jobs and were never home to raise them. These kids were wild, stealing cars and shoplifting from stores. Then, THOSE kids had kids, and their kids got just a little bit meaner. Then those kids had kids, and the word "carjacking" entered our vocabulary. Now, the 4th generation or so of fatherless children have entered society, and we see the results - children in some cases not even old enough to drive, or those not even 16 or 17, armed to the teeth with semi-automatic weapons, patrolling the roads in SUVs, looking for victims to rob, harm, and in some cases, murder. Why? "just because they can". No remorse, no emotion - just "because".

Sorry to be so philosophical, but trends and history come full circle sometimes. I fear we are about to enter a new age where once again, the everyday citizen will HAVE to carry a weapon in order to protect themselves - just like in the old West. I'm not a member of the NRA. I don't hunt. I don't have a gun rack in my vehicle, and I don't subscribe to "guns and ammo" magazine. But unless American cities completely re-prioritize their money into MUCH larger police forces, and unless there are severe penalties for fathers who skip out on their children, and for those who commit crimes that involve weapons use, then soon we'll be on our own.

The Tech guys are just the very beginning. Expect this type of thing in broad daylight at your local mall not long from now if things are not controlled soon. Start writing to the City, the County, the State, and yes, even the big hoodah in DC - if they need to create a "Federal police force" to combat this trend - so be it. But people need to let their elected officials know now that they won't stand for being victims any more.
It doesn't have to be this way. Raise taxes and hire more police officers. This is what turned NY around in the Giuliani Administration. At some point this rash of crime is going to have to be addressed. The problem is it won't be any time near an election year. People will never vote for the person who's going to raise taxes even if it means ridding crime from the city. GA turning into the old wild west will bring too much negativity before anything positive comes out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta