Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
GA. Tech is going to have to press this issue with the city. Nobody will want to send their kids to a school in what is being publicized as a dangerous area for students, myself included. Our youngest was planning on applying there this year, but we are having second thoughts. I realize the campus is considered safe, but it isn't realistic to expect students to confine themselves to the campus. The administration has to go to bat on this issue, and fast.
+1

This is why I've stated that the city can't wait for the cost cutting to come down and the money to be enough. Things like this is not only affecting you sending your kids to college but me as well who want to move to Atlanta. I wouldn't say I'm having seconds thoughts but I'm weary about what's happening and it's frequency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
Isn't it sort of crazy that we have to live in a country where we have to arm ourselves? That's more like a third world country. I am not anti-guns or whatever, but it seems like a uncivil area near Ga Tech.
This happens in so many parts of Atlanta I am from NY and I havnt experience as much crime until I moved here, I am sick of it, I brought my child here because I was thinking safer place to live I cant wait to get out of here and for those who has the smart attitude that I should just leave if I dont want to jump up and became a murder trying to prevent someone from murdering me, dont worry asap belive that.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM

58 posts, read 152,945 times
I tell ya, we tech students have it the worst. Difficult Academics, small population of girls - whom all are very pretentious and arrogant, no real party scene at all, and now we're getting robbed like crazy. Oh well, at least it's all worth it in the end.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
If nothing else maybe these recent events will shake the students of GaTech from their usual torpor and make them acknowledge that nothing good comes in this world without a fight. Start a mass march, walk right down to the GaTech President's office and make him take a pro-active stance against the growing crime in his area. Block his office, sit in if necessary and get the local media to look up and take notice.

All too often people will go the lazy route and think that making a couple of phone calls and some e-mails will do the trick. Not these days. If people don't see you, they might as well not hear you. Agitate, agitate, AGITATE!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem89 View Post
I tell ya, we tech students have it the worst. Difficult Academics, small population of girls - whom all are very pretentious and arrogant, no real party scene at all, and now we're getting robbed like crazy. Oh well, at least it's all worth it in the end.
I hear ya on that, especially the girls part.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
This happens in so many parts of Atlanta I am from NY and I havnt experience as much crime until I moved here, I am sick of it, I brought my child here because I was thinking safer place to live I cant wait to get out of here and for those who has the smart attitude that I should just leave if I dont want to jump up and became a murder trying to prevent someone from murdering me, dont worry asap belive that.
Where do you live? Bankhead/Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway? You might want to research an area of ANY city before you move there...but I suspect you live in Dunwoody or some similar haven and you're just reading about crime that is over-hyped by our local media.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
You make a good point here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Unfortunately, a couple of decades ago we started to see a percentage of American kids start to grow up in ghettos, who had fathers who abandoned them, and mothers who did drugs and/or had to work two jobs and were never home to raise them. These kids were wild, stealing cars and shoplifting from stores. Then, THOSE kids had kids, and their kids got just a little bit meaner. Then those kids had kids, and the word "carjacking" entered our vocabulary. Now, the 4th generation or so of fatherless children have entered society, and we see the result...
But ruin it with this little bit of extreme paranoia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
...children in some cases not even old enough to drive, or those not even 16 or 17, armed to the teeth with semi-automatic weapons, patrolling the roads in SUVs, looking for victims to rob, harm, and in some cases, murder. Why? "just because they can". No remorse, no emotion - just "because".
There are no roaming bands of thugs driving around in cars or walking the streets looking for their next innocent victim. Moderator removed: Do NOT insult. Who would do that and for what reason? I think you mistaking gang members who roll around looking for a target in another gang. Occasionally innocent bystanders get caught in the middle and get hurt, including a friend of mine who was gunned down in University Homes on his way to visit his grandma 15 years ago.

I've lived in this city my whole life (with long stints in other, more insane cities like New York, Mumbai and Manila) and trust me when I say this is the safest it has been in my life. The current wave of crime we are seeing is directly linked to the economy. What do you think happens when people who are poor get even poorer? They get desperate and do stupid things. Smash and grabs were unheard of just a few years ago. Now they seem to happen every other week. Is it because they are mindless hoodlums who want to steal them to have the freshest fashion, or are they stealing them to sell on the street so they can eat? It's not right, nor do I defend them, but we have to be realistic about how and why crime occurs.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-24-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You make a good point here:

But ruin it with this little bit of extreme paranoia:

There are no roaming bands of thugs driving around in cars or walking the streets looking for their next innocent victim. The very idea is idiotic. Who would do that and for what reason? I think you mistaking gang members who roll around looking for a target in another gang. Occasionally innocent bystanders get caught in the middle and get hurt, including a friend of mine who was gunned down in University Homes on his way to visit his grandma 15 years ago.

I've lived in this city my whole life (with long stints in other, more insane cities like New York, Mumbai and Manila) and trust me when I say this is the safest it has been in my life. The current wave of crime we are seeing is directly linked to the economy. What do you think happens when people who are poor get even poorer? They get desperate and do stupid things. Smash and grabs were unheard of just a few years ago. Now they seem to happen every other week. Is it because they are mindless hoodlums who want to steal them to have the freshest fashion, or are they stealing them to sell on the street so they can eat? It's not right, nor do I defend them, but we have to be realistic about how and why crime occurs.
Addtionally...criminal activity is not hereditary...law-abiding citizens very often come from rough or violent environments; criminals very often come from law-abiding, loving parents; good kids very often come from one parent households (which are currently very common at all income levels).

One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Addtionally...criminal activity is not hereditary...law-abiding citizens very often come out of rough environments; criminals very often come from law-abiding parents. One has nothing to do with the other.
EXACTLY!

A prime example is my own life. My paternal grandfather used to run with gangs in 1940s and 1950s New York. My father was a hoodlum when he was a kid (just petty stuff) and looked like he was going to follow the same path. But he straightened up. Got educated and had a great career.

Unfortunately my parents couldn't afford at first to set down roots in a clean and pretty suburb (which I am thankful for) and we lived in the West End and East Point. By the time I was entering middle school it was right in the middle of the turf wars. I, along with my siblings, saw more death and destruction than most people should before they are adults. But that experience didn't set us back. We ALL are college educated and lead upper middle class lives.

I'm not saying this to brag, but to suggest that anyone who comes from someone or somewhere that rough and thuggish is bound for the same life is ridiculous. I don't think Greg implied that exactly, but subtlety implied as the reason why those kids do what they do.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 PM

281 posts, read 617,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Addtionally...criminal activity is not hereditary...law-abiding citizens very often come from rough or violent environments; criminals very often come from law-abiding, loving parents; good kids very often come from one parent households (which are currently very common at all income levels).

One has nothing to do with the other.
One has nothing to do with the other? I think statistics tell a different story. Where do you get your information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta