Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christosNY View Post
I am very interested in everything you have to say! I will look into the area and send you a message to inquire if you don't mind?
I don't mind. I work full time and we have only one computer so it might take a bit for me to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
Okay. I just had to reply to the notion that it's too expensive to do things with kids here.

#1: I can take my son to the zoo, Fernbank, The High, etc. for FREE--on the first weekend of the month. How? Hubby and I bank with Bank of America.
#2: I follow sites that tell how to get cheap and free tickets to different venues in Atlanta. For example, we went to see the America I AM exhibit for FREE just a couple weeks ago.

It's just a matter of knowing where to look. I'm not sure if I can post website links, but just google "Atlanta on the Cheap". I rarely pay full price to do anything here in Atlanta. I know better, lol.

To the OP: I think $2K net per month for a family of 4 is a stretch, but it might be possible, depending on where you look. I'm thinking you'd be better off looking in the Paulding, North Cobb area. But--please come down here with a job lined up first!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
Okay. I just had to reply to the notion that it's too expensive to do things with kids here.

#1: I can take my son to the zoo, Fernbank, The High, etc. for FREE--on the first weekend of the month. How? Hubby and I bank with Bank of America.
#2: I follow sites that tell how to get cheap and free tickets to different venues in Atlanta. For example, we went to see the America I AM exhibit for FREE just a couple weeks ago.

It's just a matter of knowing where to look. I'm not sure if I can post website links, but just google "Atlanta on the Cheap". I rarely pay full price to do anything here in Atlanta. I know better, lol.

To the OP: I think $2K net per month for a family of 4 is a stretch, but it might be possible, depending on where you look. I'm thinking you'd be better off looking in the Paulding, North Cobb area. But--please come down here with a job lined up first!
Yes, you can find great deals on ATL activities if you know where to look. (I love Atlanta on the Cheap). However, based on my experience in another city, on those free days at the zoo or the children's museum, there's an abundance of, well, less desirable clientele. I'd rather pay full price. Interestingly, these people never went to the science or art museums on the free days. But Atlanta doesn't seem to have nearly the amount of days available either free or at a significant discount. Even at a discount, paying for 4 people adds up really fast. I can easily find affordable things to do with my family, but it still requires at least some money; money that one probably doesn't have bringing in only 2Gs a month.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,029 times
The only way to do that is to sacrify the size or your house or the neighborhood. Many of the houses that have decentable hosing prices are in not so good areas. Atlanta has a very high crime rate so its not really even safe in suburbs, because now people are targeting for nicer neighborhoods. Also if you move into a suburb you will have to make your money strech very long. Also you will have a very long commute time. Get realistic, Atlanta have some of the worse traffic in the US.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Quote:
However, based on my experience in another city, on those free days at the zoo or the children's museum, there's an abundance of, well, less desirable clientele. But Atlanta doesn't seem to have nearly the amount of days available either free or at a significant discount.
That's been my experience as well, at least at the Children's Museum. And, you're right, Atlanta has A LOT fewer free, or discounted days than other cities of the same or larger size. Certainly it doesn't compare to Chicago. I keep saying this, but Atlanta really should have a sign at the entrance that says "No City for Poor People.'

Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Ok, nothing personal but seems you don't like Atlanta at all(and I wouldnt compare it to Chicago anyways which would certainly be more expensive). Some one mentions a way you can go to all these venues for FREE and its still not good enough because there might be people there you don't want to be around. I don't get it. First you want free and now its a problem.

Please understand I am not attacking anyone but just hate to see nothing but negative about the city I decided to move to and enjoy living in. Having looked at other cities forums I know it is not just Atlanta but other places too, including the city I moved from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
That's been my experience as well, at least at the Children's Museum. And, you're right, Atlanta has A LOT fewer free, or discounted days than other cities of the same or larger size. Certainly it doesn't compare to Chicago. I keep saying this, but Atlanta really should have a sign at the entrance that says "No City for Poor People.'

Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Uh no, I don't like Atlanta. I thought I made that clear from the beginning. I've lived next door to Atlanta all my life. Came here a few dozen times a year for much of my life, primarily for shopping. Lived here for six months right after the Olympics. Boy was that a little slice of hell I don't ever want to revisit. I know Atlanta. Have known it for nearly 40 years. And no I don't like it and never have. I'm here for the same reason a lot of people came here: A job. As soon as we are able to recoup our equity and find somewhere else to live, we're out. Are we clear now?

I never said I wanted free. I said I wanted options for family-friendly entertainment that wouldn't bankrupt you. There are more family-friendly options in Chicago because they have more discounted and free days. That way everyone isn't trying to crowd in on the one day per month that they have discounts and free days.

As I've said, Atlanta has many fabulous things about it. I enjoy the shopping and availability of things. However, if you come here on a limited budget, and in the OP's case a VERY limited budget, you can get in trouble very quickly. I've seen it happen to plenty of people who bought into the myth of Atlanta's 'affordability.' The question that has to be asked is affordable for whom?

I'm sorry if you find that offensive for some obscure reason that I don't understand. But facts are facts. Move here from the Northeast or California with plenty of money and equity, then yes, it's a great town. Otherwise? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Ok, nothing personal but seems you don't like Atlanta at all(and I wouldnt compare it to Chicago anyways which would certainly be more expensive). Some one mentions a way you can go to all these venues for FREE and its still not good enough because there might be people there you don't want to be around. I don't get it. First you want free and now its a problem.

Please understand I am not attacking anyone but just hate to see nothing but negative about the city I decided to move to and enjoy living in. Having looked at other cities forums I know it is not just Atlanta but other places too, including the city I moved from.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,741 times
Exclamation Don't come to Atlanta without a Job lined up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christosNY View Post
I may relocate with a wife and two kids to the area. We would only net $2,000 per month.
Our hopes are to find a house under $100,000 in a family oriented, safe neighborhood. Maybe northern suburbs. I'm not sure about that commute I hear so much about though.
Can we make it on $2,000 a month? Thanks.
It is not easy to get a job here. This has been true even before this economic downturn. You could find a place to live on 2K a month but that will entail major belt-tightening. Child care is very expensive here also.
Good luck!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Coming from a smaller town, although bigger I think then where the Op would be coming from I found Atlanta a much easier place to find a job and found a good job quickly. I am not saying it is easy or a given, just like any new place you move to but it did work well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYer#1 View Post
It is not easy to get a job here. This has been true even before this economic downturn. You could find a place to live on 2K a month but that will entail major belt-tightening. Child care is very expensive here also.
Good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Coming from a smaller town, although bigger I think then where the Op would be coming from I found Atlanta a much easier place to find a job and found a good job quickly. I am not saying it is easy or a given, just like any new place you move to but it did work well for me.
When did you move here, though? Things have gone downhill in a serious way on the job front over the past year or two...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta