Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I saw this article in the AJC today. It stated that Atlanta is the 3rd least favorite place to travel to. They just had to compare Atlanta to Detroit in the first sentence. Then again, Los Angeles was the one in the top 3 least favorite which I don't believe. The article also mentioned that many people surveyed have never been to Atlanta or haven't been recently. There have been a lot of new attraction especially around Centennial Park, and more to come. The thing about Atlanta's attractions are they are locally known but not publicized enough to be nationally or world known, other than maybe CNN Center, Coke Museum, and Stone Mountain. That is why many people who don't know Atlanta think it's a boring city with nothing to do, especially since it's landlocked. Personally, I think Atlanta has a lot going on despite not having a natural setting, other than lots of trees. It has architectural beauty, cultural amneties, and well planned districts. Wait until Midtown Mile, Streets of Buckhead, and the Beltline is complete.

TripAdvisor survey: Atlanta a least-favorite destination | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/06/25/atlanta_least_favorite.html - broken link)
What does LA have to offer? I would elaborate further, but I got censored for ripping LA a couple of months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
What does LA have to offer? I would elaborate further, but I got censored for ripping LA a couple of months ago.
well LA does have beaches.. there are several theme parks (Magic Mountain, DisneyLand, Knott's Berry Farm), then there's the universal studio tour and all of the TV shows like The Tonight Show, etc... you have Hollywood (which is actually a bit dissappointing to tell you the truth).. and then there are some great ethnic areas... Biggest Koreatown outside Korea.. largest Little Saigon in North America... etc etc. The problem with LA, like Atlanta is that all of these things are so spread out and you really have to have a car to get around. If I was going to California for Vacation.. I'd choose San Dieago (for beaches) and Bay area for culture and sightseeing.. Tahoe area for skiiing...Wine Country, Monterrey and Carmel areas. LA would not be at the top of my list as a vacation spot. But I do see where LA may have more appeal for international and national tourists than Atlanta.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
LA is too expensive. Too expensive to have to worry about being shot by gang members because you have on the wrong color. Nice city though

Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,023 times
I don't disbelieve the ranking at all. There are many other cities that are more interesting to visit than Atlanta: Chicago, Boston, Seattle, DC... We have an aquarium that's really not that great. I am sure I'm not the only one who left and didn't feel that I had learned anything about the species inside. There is the zoo. Meh. The high is usually good for an hour or two. There are malls that are like malls all over the country. There are restaurants but other cities have restaurants as good or better, particularly because there isn't a lot of diverse ethnic restaurants in the city. You can stroll VaHi for an hour. Baton Bob is interesting if you can catch him in the park....

We have no metro (Marta's real purpose I have yet to figure out), Cabs are scarce unless you are at a downtown hotel and then if you have a problem there isn't a commission to contact, there aren't big pedestrian areas like DC, Chicago, etc have to enjoy the outdoors, walk to museums etc.

Just because a city is a nice place to visit, doesn't mean I'd live there (Love you Chicago, but that weather, not so much) and vice versa a city can be an ok place to live, but isn't a city you want to visit.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
You can't figure out Marta's purpose? People take it to work every day. Granted it needs to be expanded but many cities would love to have it as a start to a transit system.

I live intown and see cabs all the time. We can walk to museums, parks, restaurants etc. According to Zillow my neighborhood is a walkers paradise. I guess it is all perspective, if one lives in the suburbs and doesn't go into town much the same could be said about the suburbs of Chicago as is said about the suburbs of Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming1 View Post
We have no metro (Marta's real purpose I have yet to figure out), Cabs are scarce unless you are at a downtown hotel and then if you have a problem there isn't a commission to contact, there aren't big pedestrian areas like DC, Chicago, etc have to enjoy the outdoors, walk to museums etc.

Just because a city is a nice place to visit, doesn't mean I'd live there (Love you Chicago, but that weather, not so much) and vice versa a city can be an ok place to live, but isn't a city you want to visit.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
A previous poster highlighted this fact that's clearly not evident from this ranking. For Black people, Atlanta is indeed a destination city, and not just to live.

Attractions aside, Atlanta offers an opportunity to meet a dense population of college-bound, college-educated, or professional Black people. Neither NYC, San Fran, or or many other "destination" cities offer that. Plenty of pre-college students visit Atlanta to tour the HBCUs during the spring, and many of those who go to the HBCUs stay to live.

This same demographic comes to party here because you can mingle with a lot of people who look like you and have something going for them(think Freakniks of the past, which attracted so manyyoung black people because you don't find a higher concentration of HBCUs in any other major city, if they have them at all).

Atlanta has a lot of allure with Black folks, and those cultural features of Atlanta- its people, as well as things like the National Black Arts Festival, Black Urban Film Festival, and King Center, etc.-- draw us in more than seeing San Fran's trolleys or a Monet painting in NYC.

Just ask any late teen, 20-something if Atlanta is high on their list of places to visit, and I am sure most would say yes without a doubt. Having lived in NYC, I in fact have personal experience with folks telling me about their desire to come down here.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Atlanta in top 10 for minority travelers | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/travel/resources/stories/goguide2006/minority.html - broken link)

Most popular cities for African-American travelers
Atlanta
Las Vegas
Washington, D.C.
Orlando
Houston
Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport, Va.
Chicago
New York
Atlantic City, N.J.
Los Angeles

Most popular cities for Hispanic-American travelers
Las Vegas
Orlando
Los Angeles
San Diego
Riverside/San Bernardino, Calif.
Atlanta
San Antonio
Chicago
San Francisco
Phoenix

Most popular cities for Asian-American travelers
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Diego
Orange County, Calif.
Boston
Riverside/San Bernardino, Calif.
Sacramento, Calif.
Phoenix
Atlanta

Where's the "Most Popular cities for European-American travelers"?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
This makes no sense, considering all the following:

Six Flags Over Georgia
Welcome to Zoo Atlanta
The World of Coca-Cola® - Atlanta, GA
Stone Mountain Park: Georgia theme park in Atlanta
Six Flags White Water: Atlanta
Georgia Lakeside Resort: Lake Lanier Islands Resort in Georgia
Georgia Resort Beach & Waterpark: Chattahoochee Rapids Beach & WaterPark
CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
Georgia Aquarium | Atlanta Attractions | Things To Do Atlanta
Underground Atlanta
Atlanta Botanical Garden
Welcome to the Atlanta Cyclorama
Margaret Mitchell - Home [Margaret Mitchell House]
Birthday Parties, Group Events, Go-Karts and more at American Adventures!
Home (http://www.dixielandfunpark.com/Home.html - broken link)
Imagine It! The Children's Museum of Atlanta
The Wren's Nest | Home of Joel Chandler Harris [Uncle Remus Tales: Home of Joel Chandler Harris]
Fernbank Museum of Natural History [Fernbank Museum of Natural History]
Fernbank Science Center [Fernbank Science Center]
Atlanta History Center - Located on 33 acres of history in Buckhead, Atlanta
Home | High Museum of Art Atlanta [High Museum of Art]
The Official Site of The Atlanta Braves | braves.com: Homepage
Gwinnett Braves: Home
Atlanta Falcons | Home
THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE ATLANTA HAWKS
Atlanta Thrashers: The Official Web Site
Gwinnett Gladiators
GeorgiaForce.com - The Official Website of the Georgia Force
Atlanta Silverbacks

Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,153 times
Im not much for touristy spots, but without a doubt everytime I try to plan a trip in the eastcoast, I always try to stop by Atlanta. I love love ove ATL and actually lived there for on/off in 2007. Also, as for the Asian-American list (I am Asian), I can totally see why Vegas would be #1. It is like Asian central on the strip and in the middle of the desert.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
I havent seen any reports of 3 million people moving to North Dakota. Nobody is putting a gun to 3 million people's head making them move here. Those same 3 million people can get a job in Paris, NY, Cali, Miami if they wanted but they are choosing to come here

People move here because of the mild winters, cheap cost of living, ranked #10 for the retired, black mecca, southern hospitality, etc.

Visitors love Atlanta. 10 million people have already visited the Aquarium. Lots of conventions. Gays/lesbians visit Atlanta more than any other city in the south. #1 city for blacks to move to. Top 10 list of places to move once you retire. Hispanic population has exploded. Headquarters from across the country are moving here. 3 million people are moving here by 2040. I say Atlanta is one of the most visited cities in America

Its the 7th most visited city in America due too all the buisness conventions and other attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta