Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 37,144 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a trip to Atlanta in two weeks, and found in a guidebook some neat shops I'd like to go to in Little Five Points.

I've heard parking is kind of tricky; the book said that you can park a little outside the district and it's easier to find a spot. I don't know if that's still paid parking or not.

Does anyone have any parking tips for this particular district? If I did park a little ways out, is it still feasible for me to walk a little to get to the shops, or is that just too far? (I'm not at all opposed to walking either, just as long as it's not miles and miles away or anything.)

Any tips anyone has would be appreciated--I've never been to this area of Atlanta before so it's all new to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigSooie View Post
I'm taking a trip to Atlanta in two weeks, and found in a guidebook some neat shops I'd like to go to in Little Five Points.

I've heard parking is kind of tricky; the book said that you can park a little outside the district and it's easier to find a spot. I don't know if that's still paid parking or not.

Does anyone have any parking tips for this particular district? If I did park a little ways out, is it still feasible for me to walk a little to get to the shops, or is that just too far? (I'm not at all opposed to walking either, just as long as it's not miles and miles away or anything.)

Any tips anyone has would be appreciated--I've never been to this area of Atlanta before so it's all new to me!
Free parking on street can be tricky, as it's an old area with narrow, mostly residential streets aside from Moreland Ave and Euclid Ave. No real magic to it -- just drive around. Please be considerate of residents and their guests, of course -- avoid blocking driveways and such, respect No Parking signs, etc. You might have to park a few blocks away, but there shouldn't be any issues with walking, even if it's a bit more than that.

There's a large pay parking lot located behind Sevananda and the Variety Playhouse, etc., on the south side of Euclid Ave. There's also a lot that runs parallel to Euclid, behind the shops that front onto the north side of it. Entrance for it is off Seminole -- can't get there from Euclid. Been a very long time since I've been back there, though, so I don't know if it's still free or is now pay or "<YOUR BUSINESS HERE> customer parking only".

You an Arkie? I grew up there, but have been in Atlanta for 23 years now.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Free parking on street can be tricky, as it's an old area with narrow, mostly residential streets aside from Moreland Ave and Euclid Ave. No real magic to it -- just drive around. Please be considerate of residents and their guests, of course -- avoid blocking driveways and such, respect No Parking signs, etc. You might have to park a few blocks away, but there shouldn't be any issues with walking, even if it's a bit more than that.

There's a large pay parking lot located behind Sevananda and the Variety Playhouse, etc., on the south side of Euclid Ave. There's also a lot that runs parallel to Euclid, behind the shops that front onto the north side of it. Entrance for it is off Seminole -- can't get there from Euclid. Been a very long time since I've been back there, though, so I don't know if it's still free or is now pay or "<YOUR BUSINESS HERE> customer parking only".

You an Arkie? I grew up there, but have been in Atlanta for 23 years now.
Wonderful! Sounds like I ought to be able to find a spot just fine.

Yes, I am from Arkansas...just taking a vacation to Atlanta for a bit this summer.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,177 times
When I go, I just drive around for a spot in the adjoining neighborhood, park and walk a few blocks. Never had a problem. It's a fun little area; I hope you enjoy it.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:31 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,177 times
If you are a bookstore kind of person, let me suggest A Cappella books. It's a nice little indie bookstore. New and used books.

I haven't tried out the Vortex yet, but it is supposed to have great burgers. There's a Mexican restaurant down the street I like next to the Front Page News. The name has gone right out of my head, but you can't miss it. They have free parking if you eat there.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Generally it's a safe area, too. But of course, make sure you lock your car and don't do anything like leave a laptop sitting in the front seat or anything. . There are a few bums that hang around the business area, but generally they're not nearly as obnoxious as the ones downtown as far as panhandling goes.

Business area:

Make sure and eat at ""The Vortex" - entrance shaped like a skull. Best burgers in the City and great sandwiches, and you can't beat the free entertainment in there - crowds on the weekends that range from old money women from Buckhead to tattooed covered bikers.

Vortex:

Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
I haven't tried out the Vortex yet, but it is supposed to have great burgers. There's a Mexican restaurant down the street I like next to the Front Page News. The name has gone right out of my head, but you can't miss it. They have free parking if you eat there.
Tijuana Garage is the name of the Mexican place next door to Front Page News. Tijuana Garage - Little Five Points - Atlanta, GA

Drop in to Zesto's and have a soft serve ice cream too. Welcome to Zesto Atlanta!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:02 PM

248 posts, read 648,857 times
PigSooie: it's worth pointing out that, in nice weather, it's not a bad walk from the Inman Park MARTA train station to L5P. Plus, you'll get to stroll past some really beautiful old houses that way. I hope you enjoy your visit.

That pic of The Porter in atlantagreg's post made me instantly salivate. I love that place and recommend it to anyone who likes good beer. They've got a great selection and I've had really good food there (the overly-greasy fried fish being the lone exception). The Vortex has good stuff too but it's smoker-friendly so I don't enjoy it as much as The Porter.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
Just make sure you put in Little Five Points and not Five Points it will be a different experience than expected.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Thank you all so much!

I can't wait to get there; those pictures look like so much fun.

I decided to drive there rather than taking MARTA because I'm staying in Smyrna and at the end of the day I'm headed to Roswell to meet up with a friend; I'm basically just floating around the Atlanta area as I please all day, and since it's not the first time I've driven there, I figured that would be easier than trying to work out public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta