Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM

42 posts, read 176,075 times

Advertisements

I love Smryna and Vinnings and I know that Mableton is close-by. I know there was a lot of building going on there, but I wanted to find out more about that area. How are the schools? What about any future developement plans. Is this a good area or comparable area to Smyrna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM

63 posts, read 249,808 times
The popular wisdom was that Mableton was the next best thing, since Smyrna was already red hot. Now that the housing bubble has collapsed, I'd recommend Smyrna since it has become more affordable.

Both Mableton and Smyrna schools are not good. Campbell High is OK, and parts of Mableton feed into that. In Mableton, stay north of Veterans Memorial and not too close to 285.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:03 AM

750 posts, read 2,269,124 times
I live there and I like it. Here is a link to a thread a from few months ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...formation.html

Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,514,196 times
techugagrad is pretty much accurate with his assessment. Schools are pretty horrible in all of Mableton, unless, like he said, you are in the small section (basically Vinings Estates) that feeds into the Smyrna schools, which are coming up pretty well (used to not be very good at all). I will be curious to see how Mableton develops over time, as it was super hot 3-5 years ago before the bubble popped, now it is kind of stagnant.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance4dayzz View Post
I love Smryna and Vinnings and I know that Mableton is close-by. I know there was a lot of building going on there, but I wanted to find out more about that area. How are the schools? What about any future developement plans. Is this a good area or comparable area to Smyrna?

For the Mableton-Smyrna-Vinings area, the great school districts are:

Mableton Elementary
King Springs Elementary
Nickajack Elementary
Teasley Elementary
Brown Elementary
Russell Elementary

*you should look in the above school districts.

The middle and high schools in the Mableton-Smyrna-Vinings area are decent/good.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:54 PM

426 posts, read 1,439,693 times
Don't want to highjack the post, but can anyone give some info on Griffin Middle? We are looking at a house zoned to Nickajack, Griffin, Campbell. Our oldest has seven years until middle school, but the test scores and Great Schools rating scare me. I know better than to base my opinion of a school solely on test scores; but they are really BAD.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 PM

102 posts, read 391,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techugagrad View Post
I'd recommend Smyrna since it has become more affordable.
Really? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM

63 posts, read 249,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma31 View Post
Really? Doesn't seem like it to me.
You aren't looking then. I bought my house in the covered bridge area for $130k less than the original asking price... I've seen sizeable price drops in the area since I started following the MLS.

The contemporary homes in the Deerwood subdivision, for example, have gone from $220k asking prices to $110k asking prices. One REO in Deerwood sold for $67k. I watched an estate-owned home in Hickory Hills go from $209k to $159k. Many of the Smyrna Heights homes have gone from the $200k range to the $150k and less range.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 PM

102 posts, read 391,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techugagrad View Post
You aren't looking then.
That's pretty hasty judgment wouldn't you say. What is more affordable to you may not be more affordable to me. It's just as easy to say that the homes in Mableton are now "more affordable".

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM

168 posts, read 558,308 times
The jury is still out on Mableton development. It got stopped in its tracks, and didn't quite get far enough along before the crash to ensure that it will gentrify and be a good investment. Check out Wieland's Legacy shopping center, which only has two or three tenants. There are other brand new commercial strips on Veteran's Memorial that have no tenants. And the Starbucks at Buckner didn't make it.

The problem with Mableton is that it's nextdoor neighbor Smyrna developed first, and it doesn't make sense to duplicate the retail developments right up the street. They also aren't attracting high paying jobs. Stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta