Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 29,147 times

Advertisements

It's only a myth in some areas. In Chicago we have a pretty aggressive union. The contract we are in now is pretty good on pay. In other markets teachers don't get paid as well. In some markets people with PHD's are making diddly ($30-40ish). I wanted to move to a community college setting, but I make significantly more as a high school English teacher. My senority would have transferred with me, but the pay was still a lot lower.

I will never say it is a myth that teachers are underpaid. For what I have to deal with I can say I feel I am compensated. Teachers in other markets are not so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM

260 posts, read 548,905 times
i agree that some area's pay much better than others but as a whole, teachers in illinois are very well compensated compared to workers in the private sector. this is true even more so when you factor in the amazing retirement & benefits (which are heavily state funded) that are virtually unheard of outside of a public employer.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM

You are right about benefits. Although, our pension system is fully vested and protected (they cannot raid it per state law) we have a moratoriam on contributions from the state and new hires are being funded differently. They will not have the pensions that vets have now.

Unfortunately, we have to deal with COBRA just like everybody else. This really hurts teachers on the low end (those with just bachelor's degrees) and non-teaching staff. They are the ones who have problems retiring if they don't plan well. Heath care benefits for retired people is a problem.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 AM

260 posts, read 548,905 times
i'm not sure about how the Chicago school's pension fund works, but TRS is the 2nd worse funded pension plan in the US. they really messed up when they allowed the 5+5 retirement incentive in the '90's where an eligable teacher could buy 5 years & was given 5 years of service credit and thus could retire at 50 as if they were 60. many years of 20% bonuses for teachers in their final year didnt help either as illinois was only one of 2 states that allowed this. they have since corrected it but the system is still feeling the financial burden and will continue to do so for a long while.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM

In Chicago our pension is averaged from the last few years of pay (can't remember the formula right now), so many teachers hump in the last few years to bump up there salary. The bonus was to enourage high paid personnel to retire, but of course, the burden on the back end is a problem. You are right. The burden of this perfect storm of circumstances will come back to bite some of us in the ass.

For me, one of the perks has always been having the summer off. My brother-in-law is a tenured professor at a private college here. He gets out the second week in May and is off until last last week in August. I don't have to go back until first week in September. My sister who is in corporate and works 10-12 hour days hates both of us.

Teaching is a great profession especially when you are raising kids. You can be home with them for holidays and summers.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
You realize that GA isn't a unionized state. We are a right to work state.

Many teachers from heavily unionized states end up being unhappy here. They miss the perks -- for example, state law requires duty free lunch, but some principals ignore it and there are no consequences.

Again, though, it is essential for you to realize that any teaching jobs you find here aren't likely to be in good schools. This year, many teachers looking to transfer between schools within their same school systems weren't able to. Next year, even more will be trying to transfer (most systems require three years at the same school before transferring.)

Get the job first, unless you have a substantial economic cushion.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Yes, I have heard that Georgia is not unionized. It sounds like there aren't too many good schools. That's unfortunate for the students. Teachers who work in these conditions must be frustrated. I work in a pretty good school and my principal respects our contract rights (whether he likes them or not is neither here nor there). I do need to move. Chicago is too expensive and cold. I'll have to find another profession or a side hussle!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM

152 posts, read 525,461 times
There are plenty of good schools; whether or not the teachers are union has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonvf View Post
It's only a myth in some areas. In Chicago we have a pretty aggressive union. The contract we are in now is pretty good on pay. In other markets teachers don't get paid as well. In some markets people with PHD's are making diddly ($30-40ish). I wanted to move to a community college setting, but I make significantly more as a high school English teacher. My senority would have transferred with me, but the pay was still a lot lower.

I will never say it is a myth that teachers are underpaid. For what I have to deal with I can say I feel I am compensated. Teachers in other markets are not so lucky.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
the idea that teachers are underpaid is a myth-especially in illinois. actually, quite the opposite is true.
You speak the truth. Check out this link. A little bit too much info imo. Revealing huh? This gives ALL of the teacher's salary info in Il.

Champion News - Setting the Standard (http://www.championnews.net/salaries.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: