Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 AM

152 posts, read 525,499 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what some other people see as the future for Gwinnett county? I am sure if you pull up the Daily Post or AJC right now you can read about some drug bust or shooting in the news. I know its not everywhere, but it sure seems like it.

Do y'all think the violence and drug trading will spread into the nicer areas that have pretty much avoided everything so far, or that it will basically stay in the certain areas it now exists?

My main concern about the bad guys spreading further out is the number of cheap houses on the market (i.e. foreclosures and rental houses) that give them the ability to move out of current areas that police heavily target and into less assuming areas.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
My main concern about the bad guys spreading further out is the number of cheap houses on the market (i.e. foreclosures and rental houses) that give them the ability to move out of current areas that police heavily target and into less assuming areas.
Cheap homes have nothing to do with it. Criminals have $money$ and can afford to live anywhere they want. Some of them will choose modest neighborhoods perhaps to "blend in", but others will choose higher dollar homes surrounded by other higher dollar homes because people still have the mentality of, "It can't happen here", in those types of neighborhoods too. The drug cartels picked Gwinnett due to it's large Hispanic population, but not necessarily neighborhood income zones. It's a fine line for them: Live in an area that's too low income and it's assumed there's more crime there, and hence, more police patrols as well as a better chance that neighborhood watch folks might notice traffic around your house. Choose too high level of neighborhood and in other ways that might draw attention to you, too. So you'll find the biggest problems are in what are considered lower-middle to middle-middle income areas.

Gwinnett has changed more than any other metro county at least since I moved here. In 1984 when I got here, Gwinnett was predominately white, middle-income, conservative, with the Gwinnett Mall and further areas considered "the boonies". Since that time, it now has one of the more diverse number of internationally-born residents in the Southeast, as well as a huge number of transplants from areas like NYC, New Jersey, Miami, etc. I don't see that changing over time and it will just increase and creep up further north.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
The one thing that makes Gwinnett different than the other counties is the retail (malls), the downtowns in the different towns, now a base ball stadium, pretty decent schools overall, and nice subdivisions. One point that is true - with the growing number of foreclosures, who will move in? That said, I still say the overall it is a very nice place with pockets of mess (i.e. Jimmy Carter). What's published in the news regarding drug busts has more to do with Gwinnett's location on I-85 and of course the hispanic population. That said, it's not like you see "corner-boy's" selling dime bags, loitering, etc... The criminals in the subs basically keep themselves (regardless of income bracket). Houses appear to be used to count money and conduct transactions that are in NY, Phila, Miami, NJ, etc....

Old 07-01-2009, 01:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Gwinnett has changed a lot...but I have to say that Clayton County has changed more than Gwinnett over the past 15 years. The transformation in Clayton County has been unbelievable.

It seems like people make way too much out of news reports on crime. We live in a huge metro area, both in population and square miles, and there are A LOT of different types of crimes reported on the news and the newspaper every single day. That doesn't mean that crime is getting worse, or that Gwinnett County is unsafe, or that you shouldn't send your child to Georgia Tech. I don't even normally watch the news on t.v. anymore because it seems that can barely cover all of the horrible things happening in the allotted time. That's life in a big city.

Gwinnett County is HUGE. It's one of the largest counties in Georgia...there is a ton of undeveloped and rural land all over that county. Unless people get stupid and start to abandon their homes and/or move away (i.e. start another white flight migration), Gwinnett will continue to grow and attract new businesses and residents. Yes, a criminal just might move in next door, but that isn't a reflection on Gwinnett County...it's a reflection of the times. I always kinda wondered why successful criminals would continue living in slums.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post

GOOOOOD!
Let them relinquish their closer-in neighborhoods so we can take back our city.
Plenty of people would be willing to trade for a shorter commute.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Gwinnett County really is huge and sprawling. To say that is entirely going to turn over to crime and slums I think is a bit ridiculous. There are some very very nice portions of Gwinnett that will never decay. Berkeley Lake is the wealthiest town per capita in the state, as well as the areas around Sugarloaf, Duluth, Hamilton Mill, and Suwanee. These are all pretty affluent. I sincerely hope that Gwinnett is/will start to fight against the growing crime/foreclosures. It's a great county, and I think it will continue to prosper. There seems to be a lot of good news coming to the county, with new business and offices coming to the county. I really see Gwinnett coming into it's own in the coming years.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Gwinnett has changed a lot...but I have to say that Clayton County has changed more than Gwinnett over the past 15 years. The transformation in Clayton County has been unbelievable.
Gotta agree with this. I lived in Gwinnett 15 years ago, and I also had some friends who lived in Jonesboro at the time. While Gwinnett has changed, Clayton has been transformed, and not for the better.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Gwinnett County really is huge and sprawling. To say that is entirely going to turn over to crime and slums I think is a bit ridiculous. There are some very very nice portions of Gwinnett that will never decay. Berkeley Lake is the wealthiest town per capita in the state, as well as the areas around Sugarloaf, Duluth, Hamilton Mill, and Suwanee. These are all pretty affluent. I sincerely hope that Gwinnett is/will start to fight against the growing crime/foreclosures. It's a great county, and I think it will continue to prosper. There seems to be a lot of good news coming to the county, with new business and offices coming to the county. I really see Gwinnett coming into it's own in the coming years.
And don't forget the really nice areas of Mountain Park, Five Forks, Trickum, Brookwood, etc. (Parkview+Brookwood High areas).

Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And don't forget the really nice areas of Mountain Park, Five Forks, Trickum, Brookwood, etc. (Parkview+Brookwood High areas).
Haha, yeah, I did forget those, sorry! Especially since I live basically in Five Forks Village, lol. Whoops!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Tribble Mill park, Archer HS, and Harbins park. All rural, pretty subdivisons, very quiet, nice, and peaceful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta