Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,764 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are fairly new to the Atlanta area. We are both professionals over the age of 35 and have a son who is 3.5 years. We consider ourselves socially progressive. By this I mean we care about and value issues such as family togetherness, social equity, environmental sustainability and racial and cultural diversity. We would like to meet like-minded parents who also have young children. We are currently living in Gwinnett county but don't mind driving to inside the perimeter occasionally if we have to. Please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by tmorgan72; 07-01-2009 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:56 PM

200 posts, read 983,137 times
You could try Atlanta Area Mommies, a web site:

AtlantaAreaMommies.com--Greater Atlanta, GA's Mom-to-Mom Connection

Best of luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I'm not so much a Democrat or a liberal (or a conservative) but I have a friend in Dunwoody in involved with a social group called Drinking Liberally and I think many of the people there have children.
(My friend is in her 40s)

Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Just wondering what parents who are loving and for family togetherness but might not describe themselves with such PC buzz words would be called? Non progressive? Regressive? Passive-Aggressive? Amatuergressive?

Sorry to be such a party pooper, but when I see these descriptions of "social equity" and "racial and cultural diversity" but then the desire to then find a like group elsewhere and re-segregate again, those terms seem to lose their panache. If I read between the lines, I seem to see more of a "we are stuck in Gwinett with a bunch of boorish conservatives and would like to find where we can hang with a more liberal crowd our age who have younger children."

OK, might have overstepped my boundaries and totally misread the nuances in the post. But if folks are for equality and inclusiveness, then why not be equal and inclusive with whomever you are planted with and live next too, no matter what their politcal or social stripes?

Not here to start a debate, just struck me odd that one would describe themself as a "progressive parent" in a tone that makes others sound as if they are not. Semantics, oh the joy. Will crawl back in my hole now.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Just wondering what parents who are loving and for family togetherness but might not describe themselves with such PC buzz words would be called? Non progressive? Regressive? Passive-Aggressive? Amatuergressive?

Sorry to be such a party pooper, but when I see these descriptions of "social equity" and "racial and cultural diversity" but then the desire to then find a like group elsewhere and re-segregate again, those terms seem to lose their panache. If I read between the lines, I seem to see more of a "we are stuck in Gwinett with a bunch of boorish conservatives and would like to find where we can hang with a more liberal crowd our age who have younger children."

OK, might have overstepped my boundaries and totally misread the nuances in the post. But if folks are for equality and inclusiveness, then why not be equal and inclusive with whomever you are planted with and live next too, no matter what their politcal or social stripes?

Not here to start a debate, just struck me odd that one would describe themself as a "progressive parent" in a tone that makes others sound as if they are not. Semantics, oh the joy. Will crawl back in my hole now.
Thanks for asking what I was dying to ask but didn't have the ----- to ask. Great post.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
The whole idea of being "Progressive" is like a religion. Self-described progressives shop at Whole Foods, use Mediterranean sea salt, etc. (see "stuffwhitepeoplelike.com" for all the stereotypes! LOL) for the same reasons that fundamentalist Baptists don't dance or go to movies - it's a framework and belief system that organizes their worldview and directs their behavior, with just as much lack of inclusiveness as any other belief system. It kind of reminds me of someone asking a person if they are a "Christian," which is usually translated, "Do you subscribe to my specific view of the Bible and Christianity."

Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 AM

168 posts, read 560,866 times
Anyway, now that the tragically aggrieved have had their say . . .

You should definitely venture into Atlanta. It will be inconvenient, but you should consider activities for your son at in-town locations (sports, music, art, karate, whatever). We signed up for things in different parts of town when we moved here, and there are definitely differences in the families you'll meet from Sandy Springs, to Vinings, to Marietta, to Cascade, to Buckhead, to Smyrna. I think you'll find your crowd around Midtown, Virginia Highlands and Decatur.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM

77 posts, read 290,869 times
Quote:

And, if this is what the OP intended to mean - the "we are stuck in Gwinnett.." quote above - is that such a bad thing?? I agree that maybe the prose is a bit high-handed here, but on the other hand I can also relate, since I consider myself "stuck in Gwinnett" as well.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:

(see highlighted above)

Perfectly stated, man. I've always wondered about some so-called "inclusive" liberals...

Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
The whole idea of being "Progressive" is like a religion. Self-described progressives shop at Whole Foods, use Mediterranean sea salt, etc. (see "stuffwhitepeoplelike.com" for all the stereotypes! LOL) for the same reasons that fundamentalist Baptists don't dance or go to movies - it's a framework and belief system that organizes their worldview and directs their behavior, with just as much lack of inclusiveness as any other belief system. It kind of reminds me of someone asking a person if they are a "Christian," which is usually translated, "Do you subscribe to my specific view of the Bible and Christianity."
Yep! And many of the so-called "Progressives" don't even realize this about themselves...how they are so similar to many of the groups they supposedly denounce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta