Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 06:04 PM

15 posts, read 111,390 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Atlanta with my mom this weekend. While there, I have an interview and a couple of appointments set up with my realtor. My mom is not the easiest person to entertain, and I'm not all that familiar with the area. I know it sounds stupid, but what's there to do? She's not into the typical tourist attractions (museums, amusements parks...etc). We have tickets to do the Druid Hills Home Tour, but I am looking for other activities to plan out. Some unique shopping would be more up her alley (not just your everyday suburban mall). We will be mostly hanging out around the Emory and North Perimeter area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 06:24 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Shopping in Virginia Highlands will be fun as would Downtown Decatur...

I really think the Aquarium is something worth seeing, but it could be very crowded on a weekend day.

I think IKEA at Atlantic Station is really cool, but if she has one where she is from, then not so cool. Atlantic Station is mostly the same old mall stores.

If she is into upscale shopping, then Phipps might be right up her alley. (Saks, Nordstroms, Tiffanys Ross Simons, etc)

Dunwoody is having Lemonade Days this weekend at Brook Run Park, but it is pretty family oriented, they will have some crafts vendors, but I am not sure how many.

http://www.dunwoodypreservationtrust...onadedays.html

The weather is suppose to be perfect, so anything outside should be enjoyable from that factor alone.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 111,390 times
Default Alpharetta?

What's downtown Alpharetta or Marietta like? Lots of cute shops? I hear Alpharetta is having an art fair this weekend. Perhaps kill a few hours?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Yes, the fair is in Alpharetta this weekend. Here's the link for info on it: http://www.alpharetta.ga.us/index.ph...ate=1145714400

You might also consider taking her up GA. 400 (north of Alpharetta) to the North Georgia outlet shopping area since she likes things that are a bit different. Link to that: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=16

If you don't mind a bit further drive, then the small town of Dahlonega (Da-lawn-eh-gah) is only a bit further north than those outlets. North till GA 400 ends and then left and about 5 miles. It's a small 19th century gold mining town with a town square that is filled with individually owned artist and craft galleries and shops. Their page: http://www.dahlonega.org/

If I had one weekend, I would leave real early and head for Dahlonega on day one. Get there about an hour or so from the Perimeter area. Look around, eat lunch there, and then head south and hit the outlet mall. After that head home, or stop by the flea market (if it's still there?) that's just south of the mall on the way back. The next day do the Alpharetta fair. Poof - you have your weekend. Tadah.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Probably my all time favorite and unique thing to do in Atlanta would be going to the top of Stone Mountain. When you think about it, it's a really bizarre occurance - this massive granite boulder spouting up in the middle of flatness. If it is a clear day, you get some amazing views of all three Atlanta skylines from the top. It's a pretty easy hike to the top, or you can take the gondola up and down (or one way). Some of the family oriented shops and restaurants at the base are pretty cheesy, but it's kind of cool to look at the relief sculpture in the side of the mountain.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
I agree about a trip to Stone Mountain. Also, you can take an easy trip from there to the World Market in Decatuer. It's quite unique.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
The last 100 yards, or so, of the walk up Stone Mountain is VERY steep, and can be slippery.

If you're not in good health, or if you have bad knees, take the sky lift.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 AM

105 posts, read 552,170 times
Isn't there a bunch of antique-like shops in the center of Roswell? We just came from touring that area, and I remember the center of Roswell being like that....that might be something interesting to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta