Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:43 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
My Suwanee street is equally black and white, with a little bit of Asian and Hispanic mixed in - in a diverse sudivision of $200,000 to $400,000 homes, a neighborhood that would not exist where I come from in NE Ohio. My daughters have friends of all races, and barely have a concept of race - they describe their friends as having "peach skin," "brown skin," etc as if they are describing their hair and eye color, like it's no big deal.

Exactly.
Ohio is like the whitest place on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Exactly.
Ohio is like the whitest place on earth.
It's not necessarily the whitest place on earth, but it is very segregated, at least in many parts of NE Ohio where I grew up. My high school (graduated in 1988) is still almost 100% white 20 years later, in a very large suburb of Cleveland.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

I live in a subdivision in southeastern Cobb. My immediate neighbors had been white, indian, black, black, and white for most of the past four years, but one of the black families just moved out and was replaced by a white family roughly a month ago. The whole subdivision is quite a mishmash, though.
True indeed. I stand corrected about my previous statements about Cobb and Gwinnett counties...

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
That's a convoluted list. Gwinnett is definitely not only white/latino. They have more Asian people than Cobb (which you listed as White/Asian). I think you are off base as you don't even have the races for each county correct. Cobb, for instance, is more White/Black... it only has like 4-6% Asian. It has almost 20% Black population.

BTW, many studies have actually shown that Atlanta is one of the lesser segregated metros in the nation based on race. IMO, it's become more separated by income than anything.
I was definitely mistaken in the 'off-the-cliff' demographic breakdown. The races of each county is definitely incorrect. Poor judgment on my part.

Please go into further detail about your latter statement...

Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
My Suwanee street is equally black and white, with a little bit of Asian and Hispanic mixed in - in a diverse sudivision of $200,000 to $400,000 homes, a neighborhood that would not exist where I come from in NE Ohio. My daughters have friends of all races, and barely have a concept of race - they describe their friends as having "peach skin," "brown skin," etc as if they are describing their hair and eye color, like it's no big deal.
Cool...

Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I'm not familiar with any schools as I don't have brats myself but what I can tell you is I live in the northern part of gwinnett in the mill creek hs jurisdiction and my neighbors are black, white, hispanic, asian, and there is an Iranian family. The kids all grew up in this neighborhood and judging by how much I see them together, they appear to be best friends.

There's many more expensive neighborhoods here than this one. Many, many African americans and Asians and a lot of rednecks all living together.

And can say that Alpharetta wasn't far off from that. More middle-easterners there perhaps.

I travel often and it's not until I visit other cities that I realize how diverse it is here.
I see... I didn't know. I live in south dekalb county and the school systems in this and fulton county just seems a little segregated along the north and south to me. Am I wrong in that perception?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
It's not necessarily the whitest place on earth, but it is very segregated, at least in many parts of NE Ohio where I grew up. My high school (graduated in 1988) is still almost 100% white 20 years later, in a very large suburb of Cleveland.
Yeah, that's the thing. To me, it seems that way here. My high school (graduated in 1995) is still almost 100% black 13 years later, in a very large suburb of Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
So how do you expect them to live equally when they are from different walks of life?!!

i am segregated! I can't hang out with donald trump, bill gates or say..... that abramovich person! How dare they segregate my poor miserable self.

Yep

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Your questions would be better answered in a sociology class, not an online forum. Atlanta isnt racially segregated. End of story. Atlanta is segregated by income, not by race. Rich people don't like to live around poor people. Does common sense not answer this for you?

And why did you lump Dunwoody in with Buford Highway? These are two COMPLETELY different areas. Please, if you are going to act as an authority on the supposed "segregation" of Atlanta, know what you are talking about.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Quote:
Please go into further detail about your latter statement...
If I can find the article, I'll post it. But, it basically states that Atlanta, back in the days, was segregated on racial lines and was in the top quarter of cities for it. No surprise there. However, as the years passed, especially the 90s with the Olympics, the Atlanta metro pulled a 180 virtually overnight. And, living here all my life and remembering since 92, I DEFINITELY agree. Living in Cobb then, it was lily white almost. Like 84% white. Even in southwest Cobb. Not racist, but white, middle to upper-middle class. Gwinnett was rural for the most part back in those days and was also lily white. When the Olympics came, everything changed. For one, all of those Techwood homes god torn down; when that happened, the former residents(many of whom were black and Hispanic) were given HUD vouchers and relocated to the suburbs. It changed many neighborhoods and schools. Then, you had internationals look at Atlanta in a new light after many had never heard of it. Some flocked to this burgeoning city. All the construction and everything boosted our economy and caused growth. Also, the affordable housing attracted minorities from other cities who may have had lower pay and not been able to afford a house in their old cities. That one event transformed the metro a lot more than people give it credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta