Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,003 times

Advertisements

I am a newly single self-employed male who is considering a move to Atlanta. I work in the entertainment industry and travel out of town about 2/3 of the year, but am looking for a better city as a home base. I am making a trip down next month to check out some neighborhoods and need some advice on which places to spend time looking in.
My perfect neighborhood is someplace:

-I can walk to everything I need.
Gym, grocery store, restaurants, bars, theater, park etc. I work out of my house when in town and would love to forget about the car.

-a large selection of bars and restaurants. Looking for authentic stuff not
chain crap.

-liberal, progressive, diverse and inclusive of all types of people

-has some character, not just another urban retail "concept" from an out of town developer

-close access to airport train service

-small house or condo 3br with an outdoor space up to $450k

-safe, even late at night

-oh, and plenty of single professional women.

thanks in advance!

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,104,359 times
You sound like you would be a good fit for Midtown.

Check out these websites:

Midtown Alliance
Midtown Mile Atlanta . An Urban Retail Experience (http://www.midtownmile.org/ - broken link)
Piedmont Park Conservancy is our version of Central Park. It was designed by the same landscape architect too.
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority you could easily take the subway to the airport.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,279,299 times
Midtown will probably be the best bet (although walking late at night is probably not a great idea), but you might also want to consider the City of Decatur. It's more like a small town vibe than a big city but it's very walkable, got great restaurants, some good entertainment ( Popular Live Music Venue in Decatur, GA ), lots of character, lots of progressive people, MARTA rail service in the middle of the town square. It might not be cool enough for you but I think it has a vibe very similar to Athens, GA. It's probably worth a look.

City of Decatur, GA
Decatur Metro
Walk Score for Decatur

Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,003 times
Thanks for your responses. Decatur seems a bit suburban to me, but worth a look. I have been doing a lot of research and Midtown seems to be a pretty big area with lots of small pockets, and neighborhoods. Can you be a little more specific as to where to look? Even streets and crosstreets are appreciated.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,279,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mb001- View Post
Thanks for your responses. Decatur seems a bit suburban to me, but worth a look. I have been doing a lot of research and Midtown seems to be a pretty big area with lots of small pockets, and neighborhoods. Can you be a little more specific as to where to look? Even streets and crosstreets are appreciated.
The area closest to Piedmont Park (the border at 10th St.) is generally the most desirable area (particularly for detached homes) and the area around Ponce de Leon is generally less desirable, but your budget will probably not buy you a 3 bedroom detached home in Midtown regardless (but certainly look, there are lots of highly motivated sellers as well as foreclosures, etc. and if you're willing to buy a fixer upper you might find something.

A condo will depend on the type of experience you want. There are glass tower condos with lots of amenities and lots of people. They're in the less residential part of Midtown (Peachtree Street and west from about 5th Street north to 10th). There are also some great, small historic condos (scattered around). Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a condo in Midtown at the moment, but you can certainly get a good deal. You just have to accept that you may not be able to get your money back out (or may lose a significant amount of money) if you have to sell in less than 5 years or so. For me, the best bet would be a townhome. There are several townhome communities in Midtown and those units have kept their value much better than condos because there are so many fewer townhomes. When you find one that works, you really have to be prepared to jump on it.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:03 AM

23,507 posts, read 44,182,589 times
I would throw in recommendations for the Little Five Points area or Inman Park Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: