Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 PM

26 posts, read 79,719 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place to get away from the summer heat in the GA mountains. Looked at Lake Arrowhead, Big Canoe and Bent Tree. All are nice but all have some drawbacks. Can anyone enlighten me on their opinions of any/each? If you have a place there, why did you choose it? If there's a better option, please feel free to suggest that too. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:58 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,393 times
Have you looked those places up on tripadvisor (.com)??? Or yahoo travel???
Those are sites I check for reviews on accommodations.
Sorry I'm not much help but since you got no replies.........,

Old 07-12-2009, 05:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
I wouldn't count on "getting away from the heat" by going to the places you mentioned- they might be a few degrees cooler than downtown Atlanta, but that's about it.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I wouldn't count on "getting away from the heat" by going to the places you mentioned- they might be a few degrees cooler than downtown Atlanta, but that's about it.
Bob,

Let me re-phrase. I'm looking for a nice place on a lake North of Atlanta. Peace and quiet are very important. Don't want a "mini Buckhead" like Lake Lanier. Lake Chatuge is too far. Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,450 times
Hi Prof,

We live in Big Canoe - bought a house after renting for the summer. It is beautiful and runs 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Atlanta (depending on your elevation), with nice breezes. I am also very sensitive to noise and it IS quiet. And very private too - no one will bother you. But, if you want, there's plenty of places to socialize too. For us it was the perfect combo of natural beauty, privacy, and community.

Oh, and there are five lakes here!

If you are renting check carefully though. There's some houses that are 35+ years old and have loud AC, or let's just say are not as nice as they should be...

Because of the slow market you can rent for a month almost as cheap as you used to rent for a week! and even better renting for the summer. Don't be afraid to bargain.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM

383 posts, read 1,590,163 times
Try this: North Georgia Cabin Rentals - Tanglewood Cabins of Helen GA

Old 10-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTom View Post
Hi Prof,

We live in Big Canoe - bought a house after renting for the summer. It is beautiful and runs 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Atlanta (depending on your elevation), with nice breezes. I am also very sensitive to noise and it IS quiet. And very private too - no one will bother you. But, if you want, there's plenty of places to socialize too. For us it was the perfect combo of natural beauty, privacy, and community.

Oh, and there are five lakes here!

If you are renting check carefully though. There's some houses that are 35+ years old and have loud AC, or let's just say are not as nice as they should be...

Because of the slow market you can rent for a month almost as cheap as you used to rent for a week! and even better renting for the summer. Don't be afraid to bargain.
Thanks. We plan to rent next summer if we don't buy. We really like Lake Watch Village. A little concerned on the community...are they in financial trouble or is everything OK now?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
If you haven't run across this-
Georgia's Sparkling Cool Lakes
It has links to all the N. Georgia lakes and then some.
I'm partial to Carters Lake for that area. It's not as developed as the others you mentioned.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeProf View Post
Thanks. We plan to rent next summer if we don't buy. We really like Lake Watch Village. A little concerned on the community...are they in financial trouble or is everything OK now?
Lake Watch villas are among the oldest homes in Big Canoe, so I'd look at them carefully before renting long-term.

The community is not in financial trouble, but there has been a refusal to approve a capital reserve fund. Some members feel that not having this fund would leave Big Canoe vulnerable in case of an emergency; others feel that it's better to approve large expenditures case-by-case.

A lot was spent on the clubhouse but that's being paid off through a special assessment. The regular monthly fees can be raised annually to keep up with inflation; the board has not taken full advantage of this capability but it is thought to be a backup strategy if all else fails!

I'm no expert in finances but there has been a fair amount of rumor-mongering when it comes to money. The financial records are open and can be studied if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: