Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 15,231 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been teaching in New Jersey for 6 years now and I love my job but I can't take it here anymore. The high taxes, the crime, the traffic, hustle bustle and on and on. I am definitely ready to make my move south. I will continue to teach after the move, but I'd rather find an area that I love first, and then look for a job (not the other way around). Please give me advice on where I should begin my search. Here is some information that may help: I am 37 years old, I am single (mom and sister may soon follow), I NEED to be close to shopping, entertainment, culture, etc. but I don't want to be underneath it. I want a really nice and diverse neighborhood so that I can also relax say in my backyard or on a deck BBQing with friends. Looking to purchase a house around $250-300. I will be in the area this month. Please give me your recommendations. I would truly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
Teaching jobs are far and few between. What is your certification?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Elementary education. Not too worried about a job though. More so focused on finding a place to live that I love.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 PM

I hate to be rude-- but do you need to work? There are almost no elementary teaching jobs available here and the rest of the job market is really bad.

Edited to add: If you need to work, you need to start with places that actually have jobs available and see if those communities meet your need. There are lots of great places all over the country, I realize that Atlanta seems attractive but right now the economy is very scary here.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
You should be worried about a job, unless you've got another source of income to cover your bills. The days of showing up in Atlanta and getting a job in any school district you want are long gone- now, you've got to take what you can get (if you can get anything). If you were a HS math or science teacher, I'd say you've got a chance, but elementary teachers are a dime a dozen, and many are getting cut loose right now.

The Atlanta metro is a huge area, and finding work close to home is key. There are tons of places you can start looking for a house, but you may find yourself with a very long, very painful commute if you don't secure work first. We moved from central NJ 2 years ago, so if you need some advice on where to start looking, give me some more info on what you're looking for.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Looking for an area with shopping, restaurants, enterainment and the like. A nice middle-class, friendly neighborhood. You guys are suggesting that I find a job first but I don't want to just accept ANY job so I thought I would settle on an area first, and then start applying for jobs in that vacinity. So I guess I need to know where I should start looking...

Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Metro Atlanta is very spread out and we have very large school systems. In the metro area (with the exception of two or three small city systems), our school systems have 50,000 to 150.000 students spread out over counties as large as 70 miles long.

In this economy, you absolutely cannot limit yourself to one area of town when looking for a job -- especially in teaching.

Find the job first -- are you looking to move soon? Most of our school systems start August 10th but some start August 1.

At one of my children's schools, the principal received 400+ applications for one teaching position. Ifyou need an income and you want to teach, you will have to accept any job and you will be lucky to get that job, I am afraid. I would not expect you to be able to be picky, any jobs in the "best" schools will go to veteran teachers from within that school system.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM

I am not planning to move until next year so I have some time to do a little research. I understand that I may not have the luxury of being picky when it comes to teaching, but I would still like to have an idea of where I want to live so that I can start researching and visiting the area. I am looking for an area with low crime, shopping, entertainment, restaurants, parks, nice diverse neighborshoods. Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM

10 posts, read 29,480 times
those of you who have relocated to Atl in the past 3 years have you regretted it? What are the pros and cons? re: Schools, lifestyle, and Job etc.
I am thinking or relocating next month. Any information you can provide would be very helpful?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnew View Post
Looking for an area with shopping, restaurants, enterainment and the like. A nice middle-class, friendly neighborhood. You guys are suggesting that I find a job first but I don't want to just accept ANY job so I thought I would settle on an area first, and then start applying for jobs in that vacinity. So I guess I need to know where I should start looking...
Are you looking for a dense area, something with a little more space between the houses, or something with 1/2 acre lots? Is "diversity" important to you (and if so, what does it mean to you)? Are you looking for a single-family house, or attached? Something newer, or is an older home more to your liking? Is there a particular part of NJ you're looking to replicate? There's shopping, restaurants, etc., practically anywhere, so you need to provide more specifics.

With regard to the job, you may have to accept any job for the time being, but you can always work toward moving to a job closer to home when the market permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: